Kitchen Journey Part III: Free or Discounted!

New kitchen

Thank you for sharing my Kitchen Journey with me! If you missed Part I or Part II, you might want to take a peek before you continue with this post.

Have I told you how much we appreciate Home Depot? And did I tell you how much we are thankful for my Dad? A retired builder, my Dad designed our kitchen, guided us along (we’d send pix through email when he was out of town), built our pantry, and put up all of our trim, pantry doors, and hung all of our doors. And then there’s my husband, who is MY hero. Who’s learned so much and can do so much. Who loved me enough (and recognized my passions) to sacrifice and give me this incredible kitchen!

Home Depot Plans

I was thrilled when we bought our American Woodmark cabinets through Home Depot, by an August date, because the dark glaze on the cabinets came FREE. It added a touch to our kitchen that went with the design of our 1978 house, built by our friend Fred, with big, dark beams throughout. You could say it’s got a “northwest” feel to the home.

New kitchen

I was also ready (and dreading the cost, if you know how quickly those knobs and pulls add up!) to pay for the stainless, brushed-nickel pulls on the cabinets, when Kandace, from Home Depot, told me they came FREE with the cabinets!

New kitchen

And then the countertop we chose, Staron, had 3 choices of colors 1/2 OFF (another summer promotion). The counter color we chose (Sanded Mocha) went perfectly with our colors. And I love the way the counters shine and how they wipe off! (You’ll notice on HD’s page a button that says “This Week’s Specials”)

New kitchen

My husband found our pendant lights on sale for $25 a piece. What a bargain!

New kitchen

We decided to use our current dining light and spray paint it black.

New kitchen

I LOVE black spray paint!

New kitchen

We bought a USED, new to us refrigerator. And we used our existing stove top and dishwasher (all 3 of these appliances were black, but we couldn’t afford stainless brand new ones!). We decided the combination of black and stainless went well together.

New kitchen

We bought our Glidden paint from Home Depot, too. Couldn’t have been more happy with the product. Love how the colors change in the kitchen, according to the light and the time of day. Even though the paint was not discounted, we had heard really good things about the product.

Glidden Paint colors

Even though our kitchen was a huge project, we were able to keep this remodel modest, in our price-range. We were constantly thinking of ways to make it affordable and not over-the-top. We borrowed a ton of tools from my Dad, and did most of the work during weekends, early morning, or late evenings. It was a sacrifice, I’d say. We worked with Home Depot, and they worked with us by letting us know about the incredible promotions available. I can see why Home Depot is the world’s largest retailer!

Now’s the time to remodel because there are some great deals out there!

So here’s a big CHEER to all the great workers involved in our kitchen. Doug & Randy (plumbers), Duane (cabinet installer), Cory (dry-waller), Kandace (Home Depot), Keith, Victor (Precision Door), Steve (Precision Countertops), Ginny (my Dad’s helper and wife), my kids who gave up a part of their summer (Elliot, Garrett, Abby), and again, the BEST husband in the world who has gotten so good at remodel projects. He can basically do anything now. My Dad has been a great teacher for Paul, and Paul really enjoys working alongside my Dad (learning all of his little shortcuts and secrets).

The process was an awesome experience – but one I don’t want to revisit any time soon! (Anyone who’s done any remodeling in their home must know what I mean! Last house we lived in, we gutted and redesigned the whole kitchen!)

Here’s one last thought I want to share. I told myself from the beginning that I was not interested in a new kitchen that was flashy or showy. My desire was to share it with others, to let hospitality flow in my home, and to use it for the right reasons. I know of many beautiful kitchens that just sit there. And what a shame that the meaning and purpose of those kitchens can’t be shared with the world.

When my friend, Faye recently visited with me, we talked about how we just couldn’t afford granite countertops. Then she made a very good point.

New kitchen

It’s not about the counters, Sandy. Many homes with beautiful granite may entertain 1-2 times a year. And you’re entertaining every weekend!

Her point was made. Our kitchen is all about the people. Period.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on if you wished you entertained more in your home? And does your kitchen get used a lot?

Also feel free to ask any questions and I will use them for future posts. One question already asked was why I chose one deep bowl instead of 2, for my main sink … so fire away! And I will put a pix up from the other side of the room.

This post is linked to Traci’s (Beneath my Heart) DIY Project Day!

39 Responses to “Kitchen Journey Part III: Free or Discounted!”

Lynne in NC — January 22, 2010 @ 3:57 am

Sandy,
    Gorgeous! thanks for sharing this part of your remodel.

My question: When Home Depot helped you with the design of your remodel, do they come to your home and measure? What did you take to them at the beginning? measurements, of course, but did you take your dad’s plans?
    Thanks so much for sharing all aspects of your remodel.
    But most importantly for reminding us to be hospitable right where we are now.
    Peace.

Kim — January 22, 2010 @ 4:54 am

I commented yesterday about your double oven. So, my question today is how often do you need / use a double oven and what do you think of the convection baking? (I really think I would like these features if we ever move / remodel a kitchen).

Bevy — January 22, 2010 @ 4:58 am

So pretty, and nicely done…in more ways then just looks. I love the *modesty* with which you all went about it. Keeping it in perspective, and sticking to your plan and budget. That says alot!

You’re right about those ‘gorgeous’ jaw-dropping kitchens that “echo” and are always seemingly “empty”…

Now. As much as I currently have a tough time with toys at my feet (on the kitchen floor) all the time – I’ll still take the opportunity – whole heartedly (squeaky floors, cupboards and all) to bless my family and others – with what I’ve got.

My question for you; Did you do as much entertaining, as you do now, when the kids were little? How did you keep it pratical?

Kimberly — January 22, 2010 @ 5:01 am

Thanks for your kind words on my blog the other day. It’s so nice to know folks are reading! I love your kitchen remodel. As a VERY reluctant entertainer, I’m really challenged by the way you open up your home. Thanks for helping me see entertaining in a new light!

Bevy — January 22, 2010 @ 8:00 am

Okay. So, I have a second question… and I’m definitly telling on myself in asking this. But is it ever in good taste (hah, no pun intended) to “redo” leftovers (in some form or fashion) and serve the dish to guests? Have you ever done that?

Kirstin — January 22, 2010 @ 8:23 am

We entertain quite a bit. Usually it’s very casual (snacks or a light meal shared around the table while playing games, or at TV trays watching a good movie), with an occasional full sit down at the table dinner.

I agree that it’s all about comfort and people.

I wanted to comment on a question by Bev about re-doing leftovers….I rarely have enough leftovers, but one time last week we had a couple of young men up to play a game. It was last minute, and I believe before I went on my grocery shopping trip so we did a smorgasborg. I had some leftover soup and I think one other thing and we also whipped up some pancakes. They had no problem with that, and neither did I.

Holly — January 22, 2010 @ 8:38 am

Hooray for combining frugality with function function and beauty!

I think your friend is very wise. Your stainless counters are beautiful and very funtional for all of your entertaining.

I love visiting your blog–it always inspires me to reach out to others and practice hospitality. Thanks!

ellen b — January 22, 2010 @ 8:58 am

I’m going to have to look into those counter tops. They really do look great. Love the pennant lights!

Myrna — January 22, 2010 @ 10:12 am

Dear One,
    I just want to say congratulations and how proud I am of you and your man. Your honor of each others’ priorities and dreams—and getting it finished (that’s always the trick)! Well done.

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger — January 22, 2010 @ 10:36 am

I used the HD on my kitchen remodel for appliances and I thought they were the BEST! They didn’t steer me towards the most expensive product or the flashiest, but instead listened to my needs. Gotta love customer service like that!

LSC — January 22, 2010 @ 10:45 am

We remodeled our kitchen a couple of years ago and have loved using it.
    We entertain often, this weekend is the first in about 5 weekends someone isn’t coming over. Our problem is nobody ever wants return the favor.

PollyS — January 22, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

Sandy,
    In our business, we’ve run into lots of contractors, countertop people, stone people, etc…. And all of them told us that granite is a headache and requires upkeep. Beautiful, but a headache.
    They say that it gets pits in it and has to be resealed because food and bacteria can get in and be a real mess. So even though you could not afford granite, be happy! Sounds like you made a much better choice.

Robin Sue — January 22, 2010 @ 12:09 pm

Sandy it all looks so beautiful. I think granite is over-rated. BRK has granite, came with the house when we bought it. Very pretty but a pain to care for. I must be polished and sealed which is such a huge job that I can’t even finish it myself and may have to have someone do it for me $$. It chips, stains, and loses its shine if not cared for very well. Enjoy your new kitchen!!

j — January 22, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

It’s pendant lighting…not pennant lighting.

designer — January 22, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

P had a great find with those lights. I adore them. Really pulls in the look with the appliances.

It looks so nice in there!

- Darcy (who is still signed in as “designer” – lol!)

Barbara — January 22, 2010 @ 3:29 pm

Love your remodel! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. You really did a super job.
    I have those stainless steel handles in my kitchen and have to tell you my bathrobe is forever catching on them. Hope you don’t have that problem.
    .-= Barbara´s last blog ..I’m On a Pudding Kick….. =-.

Jackie — January 22, 2010 @ 3:33 pm

Nice job Sandy and thank you again for sharing your kitchen journey with us. Also, thank you for sharing your gift of hospitality.
    I think styling our homes is a process, just like the rest of life and sometimes it is hard to be patient as they grow to reflect us and whatever stage we are in.

Betty G — January 22, 2010 @ 3:53 pm

Looks like a great kitchen and I realize now that you have a good mix of stainless with black appliances. Those look good with each other.
    No doubt there will be many meals fixed in that beautiful kitchen for lots of folks who will appreciate your efforts. Keep mentoring us, Sandy. I know that I (for one) need it.

Adelle @ ready...GO!...get set — January 22, 2010 @ 4:27 pm

Drool!

We still dream and hope and plan for the kitchen remodel we’ll do someday. But in the meantime, we have people over all the time. My kids are small – and I have learned to overlook the dust and the toys scattered about and be thankful for the friends who share our table. Sometimes it’s nothing more than a pot of soup, or potluck, but it’s always a blessing to them, but even more, to us.

Gina — January 22, 2010 @ 9:46 pm

I love your thoughts on the remodel, keeping the main thing the main thing. It’s easy to focus on bigger and better and totally lose the heart of why you’re doing what you’re doing (I think this is true in so many areas of life!)

We do entertain, sometimes I feel like it’s not enough-we usually have dinner company a few times a month, but neighbors drop in lots and so do friends, and I guess every other week is a church staff meeting at our home….okay now that I think about it-our kitchen gets a lot of use!
    .-= Gina´s last blog ..Beating the Winter Blues =-.

Danielle — January 22, 2010 @ 10:39 pm

Hi Sandy, I think it’s great that you were reasonable – it shows that you are a good steward of what God has given you…and He is going to really bless you through your hospitality.

Amy from She Wears Many Hats — January 23, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

Black spray paint is a staple around here.

If we didn’t live on the other side of the U.S. your cat could be my cats sibling! Look… http://www.flickr.com/photos/24330946@N07/2375372882/in/set-72157604387592102/
    .-= Amy from She Wears Many Hats´s last blog ..Have you Turned the Tub Around yet? =-.

deb meyers — January 23, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

have LOVED this kitchen tour and your warm, wonderful attitude and tips. Thanks!

deb meyers
    .-= deb meyers´s last undefined ..If you register your site for free at =-.

courtney — January 23, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

Your kitchen is beautiful. What a great remodel. I am so happy to hear you had a good experience with home depot. Unfortunately, we did not. We completely gutted our kitchen 2 years ago and home depot did the remodel. It was not a good experience and their corporate senior management were called in. I love our kitchen now, but the process and heart-ache took its toll!!! Its very nice to read about positive experiences.
    .-= courtney´s last blog ..um, what will it be like searching for colleges… =-.

Lynn Barbee — January 24, 2010 @ 11:54 am

I love having company! Several years ago when all four of ours were little, we decided that if we waited for the house to be “done,” we’d never have company. We’ve always been blessed by the effort. Beautiful kitchen! And I love the pendant light.

Carol — January 24, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

I have gone to the Home Depot website and can not find the tab with this weeks specials. Also, what made you decide on that kind of a counter top, Staron, I am looking to replace my counter tops and there are so many choices?

Bev — January 24, 2010 @ 6:18 pm

It’s NOT about the counter tops, or even the rest of the kitchen – it’s about the people, and you have that absolutely mastered. Anyone served a meal in your home would be blessed, no matter the surroundings (which BTW are absolutely lovely!).

Melissa — January 25, 2010 @ 8:20 am

I love to entertain, but my husband is a more private person. Of our group of friend, our home is the place that the big group comes to. There are some in our group that NEVER have people over.
    My question: you painted your dining room light with black spray paint. Did you use a special metal paint? I am hoping to paint the handles on my kitchen cupboards black. I need encouragement and everybodys knowledge. I really dont want to go to all the trouble and then the black ends up rubbing off.

Angela — January 25, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

Don’t feel bad about your counter tops. I know you don’t. But we have granite and I will not do it again. It has chipped under the lip of the counter from dishes from the dishwasher and in other places. I never knew the upkeep there would be, especially on lighter colors that need to be protected. We are planning on a kitchen remodel maybe next year. I was also wondering about your double oven. We’d like to have a convection/mirco on the top and an oven on the bottom. Did you consider this option for your micro? And have you used convection ovens? Do you like them?

Kristen — March 30, 2010 @ 9:58 am

Love your kitchen! Aren’t you glad to have people in your life like your father. My hubby is one of those people.
    .-= Kristen´s last blog ..Our Kitchen: Closer to complete =-.

Traci — March 30, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

Your kitchen is beautiful and perfect! I am sure that the memories made in that kitchen with the ones you love are way more beautiful than any granite counter top could ever dream of being! Thanks for linking up to my party!
    Blessings,
    Traci
    .-= Traci´s last blog ..Best DIY Projects of March Party! =-.

Diane M. — March 19, 2011 @ 11:21 am

Sandy…you are so *real* – and in doing so you bless me…and no doubt…many others. :D
    I love that your new kitchen is designed for people….loving people…feeding people…welcoming people. OH…and it’s beautiful too!!

We once owned our dream home…but, God has us on a different track now and we’re living in a leased 1960′s house…complete with little patterns on the formica countertops and dull, off white cabinets. We do a lot of entertaining. And *never* has anyone ever said anything about the ugly floor, cabinets or countertops. They notice all my lovelies…and they are comfortable…and use the word, peace, to describe sitting in my house. Guess we put too much importance on the latest trends. It’s been a good learning experience for me…and when I get to live in my next dream house….I’m sure my dream will look a little different.
    Blessings!

1. Pingback: White Dishes & Platters: Classy & Handy

2. Pingback: No More 70s Tile!

3. Pingback: Tear Down that (Green) Wall!

4. Pingback: kitchen renovation

5. Pingback: Sweet Pumpkin Barley & Sage Soup - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

6. Pingback: How to Organize Baking Sheets and Large Platters | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

7. Pingback: Harry & David's Father's Day Gift Giveaway | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening