Home is … using Leftovers for a Delicious Spaghetti Squash Meal!

Welcome to Home is … Day here at RE! This week we’re sharing about …

… a meal made with leftovers!

I’ll start with my story, and then you can link up and share yours, okay?

Home is … for sure, eating leftovers for dinner the next night. We do it all the time in the Coughlin home! We actually think food sometimes tastes better the next night!

Have I ever told you how much we love spaghetti squash? That would be my husband and me, because my kids aren’t that crazy about it. But that’s okay, because they do just fine with the carbs from pasta!

If you remember this recipe

Using the leftovers I had from this dish, I whipped up a yummy meal. We definitely are a “leftovers” family. Not much goes to waste in our home.

Cut spaghetti squash in half; scoop out the seeds.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool. Scoop out the squash.

It’s so good for you! Replace pasta for spaghetti squash and you’ll have a tasty meal.

I made a white sauce, adding Parmesan cheese.

Added 4 handfuls of spinach.

Sliced this leftover chicken and added to the sauce.

Made regular pasta for the kids.

Served over spaghetti squash for Paul and me. Over pasta for my kids.

Have you ever cooked with spaghetti squash? Or have you tried replacing pasta with it?

About Home is

Each Wednesday you can link up here at RE, to a different theme that I will share in advance … which may be something like a beautiful set table, a snack waiting for your kids when they get home from school, fresh flowers in the kitchen, dishes in your hutch, a meal on the stove (maybe using leftovers), a family heirloom, a yard sale find and how you put it to use, pictures on the walls, music being played in the background … a feeling, a smell, a touch.

What’s exciting about this day is that I will provide you (on my sidebar) the theme each week which will hopefully inspire you!

A few short rules to follow:

1. Just add your name to the description. The photo itself will help people browse. See on Emily’s (Chatting at the Sky) blog how my post came up #25? How simple is that?
    2. Link to your specific post, not the main page of your blog. Please follow this instruction, otherwise I will have to delete your entry. If you need help with a permalink, click here.
    3. Go back to your original post and link this party to that post, and you are may also include the Home is … button from my sidebar, to bring people back here to RE.

NOW IT’S YOUR TURN … and Thank You for participating! Remember to visit the other bloggers who link up!

(Winner of the book: $5 Dinners for Moms book, by Erin Chase, is Lori H. (no blog). Congrats Lori!)

18 Responses to “Home is … using Leftovers for a Delicious Spaghetti Squash Meal!”

Jessica @ This Blessed Life — April 14, 2010 @ 4:27 am

My mouth is watering! Yum!
    .-= Jessica @ This Blessed Life´s last blog ..Work Your Wallet Wednesday – 3rd Edition =-.

betsy — April 14, 2010 @ 5:25 am

We love spaghetti squash! I serve it with parmesan, salt & pepper and a little butter. I’ve never used it to replace pasta, though…you dish looks delish, Sandy!

And…spaghetti squash grows so easily in the garden!
    .-= betsy´s last blog ..Home Is….Using Leftovers =-.

Julie — April 14, 2010 @ 6:09 am

Can’t wait to try this recipe!
    .-= Julie´s last blog ..My Sister’s Birthday, Lemon Cupcakes, & a Giveaway! =-.

sheri — April 14, 2010 @ 6:37 am

so funny. because…i made spaghetti squash last nite since it was just me. It’s one of those easy things (aside from getting the darn thing OPEN). I generally just hack it open, scoop the seeds, then butter, curry and garlic salt the inside and nuke on high for 15 minutes. I am SO trying this recipe. Can’t wait. and btw- love your kitchen. meant to drop you a line after you so kindly stopped by my blog. xo. Sheri
    .-= sheri´s last blog ..The ultimate link for linky parties :) =-.

Tara G. — April 14, 2010 @ 7:01 am

I worked at a vegetable stand one summer in college and learned all sorts of things, but I never tried cooking a spaghetti squash- when we get back home! I like using my leftover chicken in chicken salad or in quesadillas. I had no pictures even though I just made chicken salad the other day!
    .-= Tara G.´s last blog ..That’s What Friend Are For =-.

Holly L — April 14, 2010 @ 8:05 am

I have never made spaghetti squash…and don’t know why…I am sure I would love it…Thanks for hosting the linky party!
    Holly
    .-= Holly L´s last blog ..Pass the Pickles and Cheese, Please! =-.

Celeste @ Cottage Dreamers — April 14, 2010 @ 8:20 am

Oh, I love spaghetti squash and how it has a touch of crispness and it’s just a tad sweet. Mmm, mmm, mmm! To make them easy to cut open, I bake mine whole for 10 to 15 min in the oven, then take it out to cut it in half and remove the seeds. Then I put it back in the oven to continue baking. It works really well. I can’t wait to see what everyone links!
    ☺ Celeste
    .-= Celeste @ Cottage Dreamers´s last blog ..Take Flight =-.

Chris D — April 14, 2010 @ 8:20 am

I never thought I would like any kind of squash but I love spaghetti squash! Have not used it as a substitute for pasta per say but count it as my ‘starch’ and one of my favorite ways of serving it is quite simple- tossed with butter, pepper, salt, parsley, and some garlic or garlic powder! Typically I have to bake mine at 375 for at least 50 minutes; might be my oven and I also cover it with foil and bake it cut side down in some water. I have found that when its slightly undercooked (or not cooked to the point of mush) it makes for better tasting leftovers when you reheat it the next time.
    .-= Chris D´s last blog ..Wedding Bouquet Portfolio =-.

Darla — April 14, 2010 @ 8:31 am

We like spaghetti squash a lot too. We use it with pasta sauce but also sometimes serve it as a side dish. I like to brown a little fresh sage in some butter and then toss the squash in that – easy and different than spaghetti.

Darla
    .-= Darla´s last blog ..Olive Kitteridge (book) =-.

Dawn Farias — April 14, 2010 @ 12:15 pm

Yes, I’ve tried cooking with it before. My son is on a low carb diet that controls his seizures…. so when he first began I tried cooking spaghetti squash every which way I could think of. It was a no go! I really liked it, though, especially with a red sauce.

I noticed you made separate for your kiddos, too!

(Got here from a tweet… Beautiful blog!)
    .-= Dawn Farias´s last blog ..Greek Yogurt With Raw Honey =-.

Cha Cha — April 14, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

We only use squash now days. My kids like it better than pasta. I even use zucchini sliced thin to make lasagna. Love it.

Cha Cha
    .-= Cha Cha´s last blog ..WEEKEND WRAP UP =-.

Abbie — April 14, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

I LOVE spaghetti squash! And the sauce sounds awesome! I’m going to make that soon! Our kids also like regular pasta better, but we always have them eat some squash too!

Karen — April 14, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

I just blogged about Spaghetti Squash yesterday! The first recipe I ever created for my mom’s produce company (I am now the president – Frieda’s Inc.) was with Spaghetti Squash. So easy, healthy and delicious! Here’s the blog: http://whatsonkarensplate.blogspot.com/2010/04/spaghetti-squash-low-carb-pasta.html
    .-= Karen ´s last blog ..Spaghetti Squash: Low-Carb Pasta =-.

Adelle @ ready...GO!...get set — April 14, 2010 @ 4:29 pm

I love using spaghetti squash, but I’m the ONLY one in my family who will eat it. So, I rarely bother.

I didn’t have anything useful to contribute today, but G and are already discussing the “apron” post – we both have our favorites – he as head chef and me as sous chef!

xo
    .-= Adelle @ ready…GO!…get set´s last blog ..On Falling in Love, Part 4 =-.

The Training Table — April 14, 2010 @ 6:14 pm

Great podcast on how to cut squash at the Spilled Milk. If you haven’t caught them yet, they’re like the foodie version of Car Talk.
    .-= The Training Table´s last blog ..How to Live to be 100 =-.

Heather — April 15, 2010 @ 12:20 am

Hi there! I found your wonderful blog over at 504 Main! I LOVE your “Home is”… link up you do on Wednesdays. What a fun idea! I would really like to do it. The only problem is that I do a feature on Simplifying, organizing, and balancing on Wednesdays. Would it be bad if I linked up on Fridays?

I’m a new follower of your lovely blog!
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Lunch date in the city! =-.

Kim... and Her Coffee — April 15, 2010 @ 5:51 am

LOVE these recipes…. and the lack of carbs. :-)
    .-= Kim… and Her Coffee´s last blog ..Time to Pay the Piper =-.

Cuisine Kathleen — April 16, 2010 @ 10:27 am

I taught 4th grade for many years, and part of the curriculum was LI Farms. I brought Spaghetti Squash in when we finished our unit on LI vegetables. I made it for them in the Fac Rm microwave. Most of them had never had it before! The next day I got notes from 20 parents asking for the recipe..:) I make it in the Fall when I can get them from the farm down the road.