Tomatoes: Easiest to Grow!

With many rainy days this week, I’ve been dreaming about hot summer days, my garden, and growing delicious tomatoes.

A few weeks ago my friend Terri sent me a list of “this year’s offerings.” I love how she is so generous with her greenhouse, sharing it with many. So the dreaming begins … when we get to place our order with her.

This year I put in for Cherokee Purple (Heirloom) Health Kick Hybrid, and 1 Burpee’s Burger Hybrid.

We love the Tomato Sweet Tangerine.

Actually we’re trying a few different varieties this year. But here’s a picture from last year’s crop.

Did you know that as the most popular summer crop, tomatoes are the easiest to grow?

I love the color, sizes, flavors – each one different for however you’re cooking, or you may want to eat it fresh off the vine.

Planting
Make sure the frost has passed and the soil has warmed up a bit.

Spacing
1 1/2 – 3 feet apart if you are staking or supporting them.
3-4 feet if they are not going to be supported.

Eating
One of may favorite summertime salads!

So enjoy. And dream along with me of the beautiful color … and delicious flavor.

Oh … come, summer, come!

What’s your favorite tomato to eat or cook with?

Also, I’m posting over at SC Johnson today … Would you join me there and comment? It’s called, Pesky Friends Called Weeds!

Great gardening links:
Square foot gardening by Frugal Dad
Do Upside Down Tomato Planters Work? by Garden Desk
Trench-Style Tomato Planting
How do I start tomatoes from seed? The Garden Web

This post is linked to GROW, COOK, EAT Garden Tour! And also to Melissa’s Inspiration Friday!

(Terri is our choir director at church and a fabulous woman! So very generous!!)

24 Responses to “Tomatoes: Easiest to Grow!”

Kim — April 30, 2010 @ 4:42 am

yum! I so need a friend with a greenhouse! We have a tiny rolling “greenhouse” cart that we do our seedlings… come on tomatoes!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
    party inspiration

Melanie Dorsey — April 30, 2010 @ 5:51 am

Makes me want a BLT!
    .-= Melanie Dorsey´s last blog ..Primal Cry ~ Morning Poetry & Update =-.

The Training Table — April 30, 2010 @ 6:01 am

as always, love the photography!

made a tomato, basil, goat cheese, orecchiette, and steak salad last night. can’t go wrong with tomato and basil and anything else!
    .-= The Training Table´s last blog ..Braising Hell =-.

Tara G. — April 30, 2010 @ 6:09 am

I’m a little embarrassed to say that I am tomato ignorant and part of that is due to not being able to eat them for some time when I was little- I just never learned to like them too much. I’m widening my vision a little now! :)
    .-= Tara G.´s last blog ..Guess How Much I Love You? + Blogiversary Giveaway!! =-.

Janice — April 30, 2010 @ 6:30 am

I love a big juicy beefsteak tomato.

Jennifer@HomeMatters — April 30, 2010 @ 6:34 am

I just heard about the purple heirloom last night from my next door neighbor. He is trying those for the first time this year. I will be anxious to check those out. Last year we tried several kinds but this year we’ve only planted grape tomatoes. Just got the garden going last weekend so we may add another kind or two.
    Happy Gardening!
    .-= Jennifer@HomeMatters´s last blog ..Good Printables To Use For Triples =-.

Sara — April 30, 2010 @ 6:38 am

I never liked tomatoes until we grew out own – I didn’t think I would eat them, but grew them for the others in our family. Wow – are they yummy or what!?!

PS – I couldn’t get your link about the upside down tomato planter to work? Just me?

Charity — April 30, 2010 @ 7:05 am

I never remember the names of the tomatoes I like…but my theory is the uglier the tomatoe, the better it tastes :)

Kirstin — April 30, 2010 @ 7:19 am

I don’t think I have an actual “favorite” tomatoe. Last year I tried green cherry tomatoes (they were green when ripe), they were yummy and added a fun color to dishes.
    .-= Kirstin´s last blog ..Home Is….A Wonderful Find for my girls….and For Me =-.

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points — April 30, 2010 @ 7:36 am

I’m going to try one of those hangy-upside down things this year. I think I can handle that…I need to start small.
    .-= Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points´s last blog ..ALERT THE MEDIA =-.

Scorpio Woman — April 30, 2010 @ 8:17 am

I don’t really like to eat tomato. Except if it’s in a recipe. My favorite to buy is roma tomatoes and that’s the one I’ll put in my garden. My favorite way to use tomatoes is in bruschetta.

afarmgirlsdabbles — April 30, 2010 @ 12:17 pm

‘Cherokee Purple’ is my favorite, favorite, favorite. The beautiful hued flesh, silky texture, and unbelievable flavor…yum! Another stand-by in our garden is the small golden ‘sun sugar’. It is so sweet and the plant produces a gazillion of them for our summer eating pleasure. My young girls will play in the garden & just have “lunch” out there, popping these little ones in their mouths.

deb meyers — April 30, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

Sandy,
    your tomato trench planting method gave us the best tomatoes EVER in this short New England growing season. I can’t wait for tomato planting time again!

deb meyers

Abbie — April 30, 2010 @ 4:42 pm

My favorite is a fresh, homegrown tomato!
    .-= Abbie´s last blog ..Growing! =-.

Shelle — May 1, 2010 @ 6:55 am

I love tomatoes. I dream about them in the winter. I love when they’re warm, fresh off the vine. Yum!!

Rhoda from Southern Hospitality mentioned you, so I stopped on by. Glad I did.
    .-= Shelle´s last blog ..Kid’s Bathroom Reno – Day 5 – NEWS – no progress =-.

Jade @ No Longer 25 — May 1, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

Wow I didn’t realise there were so many different varieties of tomato! I’m so excited about gardening and this is making me even more eager although I think it’s not that easy to grow tomatoes in Aberdeen, I think we need a little more sunshine and a little less of the cold wind!
    .-= Jade @ No Longer 25´s last blog ..The Long Trip Home from Capri =-.

Traci — May 1, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

Oh how I love tomatoes! I will be planting mine soon. :)
    .-= Traci´s last blog ..So Beautiful! =-.

lea helmerich — May 1, 2010 @ 6:45 pm

i have never grown my own tomatoes
    but try to eat as many as possible
    all summer long.

nothing says ‘summer’ like home
    grown tomatoes.

Sandy@Life Began in a Garden — May 1, 2010 @ 8:27 pm

Oh yum! We put in 14 tomato plants on Easter Sunday and I can’t wait to harvest the first one! One of my favorite ways to eat them is pictured in your post, with fresh basil, mozzarella, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a little salt and pepper. My stomach is growling just thinking about it!

Esther — May 1, 2010 @ 8:45 pm

I just got my tomatoes in the ground last week. Each year my garden gets bigger and bigger. I really like the heirlooms and my favorites are Cherokee Purple, Cherokee Green and Sungold.

To Kiss the Cook — June 5, 2010 @ 10:15 am

I’m planting a vegetable garden for the first time this year and could not be more excited for tomatoes. We’ve got a red cherry, Kellogg’s Breakfast, Cherokee Purple, Thessaloniki and Caspian Pink. My neighbor built me a trellis for them to grow up and I still have dirt in my finger nails from getting the seedlings in the ground this morning. Will be watching you for tips as the summer goes on!

1. Pingback: Tomatoes: Trench Planting Method!

2. Pingback: Good Enough to be Dessert: Deliciously Organic’s Carrot Souffle’ – WIN a Copy! — Reluctant Entertainer