Garden Tomatoes & Ground Cherries: Easy & Tasty Appetizer

One of the easiest salads or appetizers to make in the summertime, using up the garden tomatoes as they ripen, is to just slice them up and serve on a plate! And then garnish with tasty, sweet ground cherries.

Yes, I love Caprese Salad (tomatoes, mozzarella and basil), but sometimes I just don’t have fresh mozzarella cheese in my fridge.

How to make this appetizer?
Slice tomatoes and lay on a platter.

Sprinkle with sea salt, white pepper, and we used California Cayenne Pepper.

Splash with a bit of Rice Vinegar.

Peel ground cherries, removing the outer paper-husk, and cut in half.

Slice thin strips of fresh basil to garnish and add a fresh summery taste.

And then serve!

I really want to make jam with our ground cherries, but we don’t have enough in our garden. Doesn’t that sound delicious?

What’s your favorite, easy summertime salad using tomatoes?

The Hip Hostess is giving away a copy of The Reluctant Entertainer at her place today.

Stunning tablescapes, beautiful buffets, dazzling desserts and to die for florals, are all come to mind when we hear the word: entertaining or party or hostess. We’ve all seen the pictures, in magazines, on TV and blogs. It’s all so lovely, so elegant and so impressive. But unless you’re Martha or an event planner, it’s also probably perfectly unattainable. READ MORE … here.

8 Responses to “Garden Tomatoes & Ground Cherries: Easy & Tasty Appetizer”

Kim — August 15, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

WOW, I never heard of ground cherries so thanks for the link for info. The dish LOOKS beautiful and am sure it is just as tasty.

jodi — August 15, 2010 @ 1:01 pm

I have never heard of ground cherries either. mmmm. ya learn somethin new everyday. Cool!

Bevy — August 15, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

OH my… this is too funny. I JUST had Ground Cherry Pie for dessert today – at my Mother’s. It brought back so many memories – we were talking about it around the table. My grandfather (my Dad’s dad) would be on his hands and knees, out in the garden – picking up ground cherries.

I didn’t like them too much, and so when I would have to help weed the garden, I’d pull them out like weeds, on purpose – because they were just everywhere. ;)

They mostly would make a pie with them, sometimes with apple. Usually the pie would be made the same way a Rhubarb Pie would be made – with a custard like filling. It wasn’t a very thick pie.

I would “enjoy” a slice with Vanilla Ice Cream or whenever the pie had apples included.

Kirstin — August 15, 2010 @ 4:02 pm

Okay, so ha ha ha ha ha…..I was thinking cherries off a tree and you grind them up for “ground” cherries. Oh brother, I think this heat is getting to me hmmm.. I will have to read about these since I’ve never heard of them obviously.

Debbie — August 15, 2010 @ 10:06 pm

Those tomatoes look so good! I like to make a Caprese salad with tomatoes.

Jade @ No Longer 25 — August 16, 2010 @ 3:58 am

I’ve never heard them called Ground Cherry’s before, when I first read it I thought you were going to grind them! We call them physalis or cape gooseberries!

Lael Hazan — August 31, 2010 @ 9:44 am

A perfect easy appetizer for almost any occasion! An inspired addition with the “ground cherries”. I’ve not heard them called that before.

1. Pingback: 2013 Harvest CSA Share Week #17, September 25th | Your CSA