Taco Meat & Bush’s Beans: Cooking for a Crowd!

I can feel it in my blood.

Busy is coming on.

Busy is right around the corner.

The school year, soccer season, and a busy schedule officially starts today for our family, which means that I, as the Mom, has to be very organized and creative with our meals.

A good old standby that feeds many, when extra soccer kids stop by for dinner, is a big pot of Taco meat/beans.

Taco Meat with Bush’s Beans

Cook 4-5 pounds of ground turkey or beef. Season to taste.

Cook 2 cups of brown rice.

Add 2 cans each of pinto beans, black beans and kidney beans. (I always use Bush’s Beans, I feel they have the best flavor.)

Add one container of Costco’s Mango Peach Salsa.

Mix together and SERVE.

We love this meat for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and taco salad. We have even made lettuce (Napa cabbage) wraps with it. YUM!

It’s also easy to freeze in Ziploc bags and handy to pull out for last-minute company!

What’s your secret taco meat and bean recipe?

(Bush’s Beans did not pay for me to write this post, even though I am in partnership with them. We just really love their beans and eat a ton of them in our home!)

18 Responses to “Taco Meat & Bush’s Beans: Cooking for a Crowd!”

Lynn from For Love or Funny — August 30, 2010 @ 3:51 am

Hi Sandy,
    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I’m feeling a little stressed about what to serve for dinner when our schedules are starting to rev up for fall; this looks like the perfect easy meal that will keep as long as we need it to!

Tara G. — August 30, 2010 @ 4:46 am

I have no secret taco meat- whatever seasoning is gluten free! They are a definite treat over here, though! :) My husband would love your recipe!

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart — August 30, 2010 @ 4:52 am

YUMMY! That looks like a great combo. And I love using lettuce leaves for wraps. Way healthier than tortillas!
    And we love Busch’s beans to my friend.

Christi {Jealous Hands} — August 30, 2010 @ 5:40 am

This sounds great! We eat lots of beans, too – but I’ve never thought of actually combining them with the taco meat. I’ll try this next time!

Jen — August 30, 2010 @ 5:59 am

Nothing as yummy as this! I have just added this to my menu. Thanks!

Wendy Franz — August 30, 2010 @ 7:14 am

I needed another idea for dinner this week and will give this a try!!! You do like your Bush’s Beans! :) I had to laugh when you said that the busy schedule officially starts today as I am declaring this time of year the start of my New Year instead of January 1st. I mean, really, are we not in the middle of our new year once January 1st comes along? I love this time of year when we get back to schedules and structure and the promise of exciting new beginnings. My 20 year old went to a four year college for the first time after being at a community college for 2 and is having the time of her life – new home, new classes, TONS of new friends, new love, etc. And for my younger daughter who is a senior, new beginnings come for her in the way of fun, new gigs for her worship band and new classes, etc. And, for me??? My bible study group starts again in a week. WOOHOO!!! Can’t wait to be doing regular life again with my ladies. So, HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and I can’t wait to try this recipe.

Julie Gillies — August 30, 2010 @ 11:31 am

This recipe sounds wonderful, Sandy! From one busy mom to another–thank you!

P.S. I just wrote a blog post about your new book. Love, love, loved it!

Mary Beth — August 30, 2010 @ 11:38 am

Wow! what a great idea, and the recipe could easily be cut in half. I absolutely love, love, love, Costco’s peach mango salsa, but never even thought of adding it to meat and beans. Can’t wait to try it! Thanks, girl! P.S. I’d think one could even make the meat half beef/half turkey to cut down on fat. Hmmmm, might be good.

lisa — August 30, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

I cook vegetarian Yves “meat” and season it with taco seasoning and with a tad bit of molasses for a smokey flavor. I love making cheese salsa…because all of the toppings are in the salsa…it makes a taco feed super easy and yummy…and can be made up ahead of time.

lea helmerich — August 30, 2010 @ 6:32 pm

oh that looks so delicious but super easy.
    thank you for the recipe!

Tracie B — August 30, 2010 @ 7:34 pm

I think this sounds wonderful. I’m always looking for recipes like this that can be used in a variety of ways or frozen for future use. Thanks!

Glenda Childers — August 30, 2010 @ 9:45 pm

Fun, easy and healthy recipe. Thanks.

Fondly,
    Glenda

Lijnda — August 31, 2010 @ 6:54 am

Yum! You can bet that this will be on our table this weekend!

Pinky — August 31, 2010 @ 8:04 pm

This sounds GREAT! And perfect timing, a good Fall dish! Thanks!!!!!

Jen — October 4, 2010 @ 9:58 am

This IS fabulous. I adore knowing that in a pinch, I can have dinner ready quickly. Thanks foer sharing!

Pinky — October 4, 2010 @ 2:49 pm

This sounds SO good! Thanks!!!!

Aggie — January 31, 2011 @ 6:33 pm

Another great recipe! You are totally inspiring me! I want to make a batch of this for the fam and serve in lettuce wraps…make half with just the beans for me. I have that salsa and have to use it up!

1. Pingback: Bush's Summer Garbanzo Chick Pea Tuna Salad | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening