Sweet Potato Comfort: It’s Good Enough for Company!

I’ve written about Shepherd Pie several times on my blog, and I have to say my favorite autumn recipe is include sweet potatoes on top. They’re a lot healthier for you and I’d say a bit fancier, too. In fact, on a cool fall evening, this recipe is even good enough for company.

Bake the sweet potatoes. Line the cookie sheet with foil first to prevent a mess, peel the potatoes after they are cooled.

In my new book, The Reluctant Entertainer, you’ll find a delicious Sweet Potato recipe. Double up on this recipe; serve one night as a side dish and save the rest for Shepherd’s Pie like I’m showing you here today! Smart and easy.

When you barbeque, have you thought about making extra? I love leftovers! The leftover zucchini from this meal, went straight into this pie.

Spray the 9×13 pan first. I used my Le Creuset pan which I love and use almost daily.

Cook the meat (I used ground turkey), add your favorite spices and 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, and then add in your favorite veggies. (Peas and carrots are always easy because you can pull them right from the freezer.)

Make sure your veggies are pre-cooked and then mix together and place this mixture into the bottom of the sprayed pan.

Spread a thick layer of the whipped sweet potatoes on top.

Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes, until heated through.

Call your friends. Set the table. Pull this delicious dish out from the oven, and serve.

It’s perfect for a family meal. And it’s a comfort dish that is even good enough for company!

What’s your favorite version of Shepherd’s Pie?

(I was not paid to write about Le Creuset. I just love their products. And if you want a chance to win a copy of my NEW book today, head over to Emily’s at Chatting at the Sky. Don’t forget on Friday I will be starting my 31-Days to Stress-Free Entertaining series, along with Emily and several other bloggers.)

22 Responses to “Sweet Potato Comfort: It’s Good Enough for Company!”

Tara G. — September 29, 2010 @ 3:54 am

I’m not sure I’ve made Shepherd’s Pie before and honestly, I haven’t eaten too many versions. But I love sweet potatoes and sweet potato casserole #2 from the Taste of Georgia cookbook is our absolute favorite!

HPD — September 29, 2010 @ 5:13 am

hardly anything that calls for potatoes that isn’t better with sweet potatoes. cheers!

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart — September 29, 2010 @ 5:29 am

Oh that is such a great idea. I am so going to try this. I love Shepherd’s pie!
    HUGS!

Teri — September 29, 2010 @ 6:06 am

I wonder how that would be with ground lamb… Hmmmmm

Nikki — September 29, 2010 @ 7:05 am

I just made a Shepards Pie last night to freeze for later use. (We are having a baby soon) My kids were somewhat disappointed it was not for dinner right there and then so now I have an excuse to make another! Thank you for the great recipe!

Wenderly — September 29, 2010 @ 7:28 am

What a perfect Shepard’s Pie!! You know how much I love sweet potatoes! What a splendid idea for Autumn…I’m totally going to dazzle some guests with this one!

Maria — September 29, 2010 @ 7:33 am

Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods. Great fall dish!

Lauren — September 29, 2010 @ 8:32 am

Wow, this looks delicious! Such a perfect fall comfort dish. I can taste the sweet potatoes topped off by a glass of apple cider—mmm, delish!

LISA — September 29, 2010 @ 10:45 am

Hmmm. I will have to try making it with vegan burger. I have never made it because of the hamburger, but the sweet potatoes on top sounds sooo delicious!

Robin Sue — September 29, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

I love sweet potatoes and Shepherd’s Pie so I think this recipe is a perfect marriage! Forget company, I’ll eat it all myself!

Kristin — September 29, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

I love sweet potatoes! I always have them with cinnamon and sugar. This recipe would be a delightful addition to my recipe box.

Nikole Hahn — September 29, 2010 @ 2:54 pm

I’m a first time visitor to your site referred by Chatting The Sky. This recipe looks awesome! I also love to entertain. I love to cook, too. I’ll be back!

Kayla — September 29, 2010 @ 3:07 pm

Loving this!

My favorite Shepherd’s pie is from Brocach’s Irish Pub: http://www.brocach.com/home.html

Selena Cate — September 29, 2010 @ 4:32 pm

I just never use sweet potatoes and each time I see a delicious recipe like this I think “go get some now and cook with them already!” Love this one Sandy.

Tracie B — September 29, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

I bought 5 large sweet potatoes just the other day. I live very close to the “sweet potato capital of the world” ie…Vardaman, MS. Now I know how I can use them. Thanks! Never thought of using them in that way.

Cookin' Canuck — September 29, 2010 @ 8:45 pm

This is a really nice take on Shepherd’s pie, one of my favorite comfort foods. It takes a classic dish and adds a healthy twist.

Elaine — September 29, 2010 @ 9:24 pm

I’ve only made it with mashed potatoes (with cheddar cheese) and ground lamb…this looks so good with sweet potatoes – so colorful too!

Holly L — September 29, 2010 @ 10:38 pm

I have never made shepherds pie but am ready to try…and with sweet potatoes…yum.

Shannon — September 30, 2010 @ 4:06 pm

What a great idea using sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes!

Cara — October 1, 2010 @ 9:37 pm

I have gestational diabetes so I have to watch my carbs. I like to steam cauliflower and then puree them to use in place of the potatoes for topping my shephard’s pie. Not the same, but a great alternative.

Rica — April 20, 2011 @ 12:01 am

Looks utterly delish! Another reason to buy the book! I’m getting my copy tomorrow! :-)

1. Pingback: 1. Why Entertain: The People — Reluctant Entertainer