Tablecloths: Do You Fold Them or Hang Them?

I was looking at my dining area the other day, and I noticed how drab and “wintery” it looked … sigh. (Sorry, should have taken a picture.) I really am not a fan of winter, and during those months I need to do whatever it takes to perk things up around here. So to the closet I went, to find a “fresh” ironed table cloth to liven up the area a bit.

Low and behold, as I opened the door, I could hardly see what I had! What a mess!

It was time.

Time to organize my tablecloth closet.

I refolded and hung them by their colors … white … pastel … darker colors.

Mission accomplished. It felt good to get that closet in shape! (My goal each day in January is to organize one small area of my house, be it a drawer or a closet.)

A beautiful bright, cheery Williams Sonoma cloth … 70×108 inches is the size I buy.

Ah … it makes me SO happy and ready for Spring when I change or move things around and liven up my house!

Do you hang or fold your tablecloths?

And if you’re a tablecloth girl like I am, which is your favorite?

38 Responses to “Tablecloths: Do You Fold Them or Hang Them?”

Shelley — January 21, 2011 @ 4:05 am

I fold mine; no space for hanging! My favourite table clothes are the old ones that belonged to my Grandmother: white linen and lace ones, even though they are a bit shabby. Just found 3 lovely soft linen table cloths that belonged to Bill’s grandmother!

Lauren@SimplyLKJ — January 21, 2011 @ 4:49 am

I hang mine, or I should say the dry cleaners do, and then I store them in an extra coat closet. I love being able to pull them out and know I can immediately place them on the table. And, if I have matching napkins they are hung with the table cloth as well.

Donna O. — January 21, 2011 @ 5:44 am

Hahaa…I’m definitely a “Tablecloth Girl” too! Actually, I’ve often said I have a tablecloth sickness. I wish I could hang mine. The thought of having an extra closet to hang tablecloths sounds ever so luxurious. Maybe when the kids move out.
    I don’t know if I should admit that I have more than a couple hundred tablecloths. Because I have lots of big dinner parties & picnics, I have quite a few sets of 3,4,5 even 6 of the same exact tablecloth.
    I have them folded & have to transfer summer to winter tablecloths in bins back & forth to the attic at the start of the season. Like I said…a sickness.
    It’s hard to pin down what my favorite is. For the summer it would definitely be traditional red & white check. I love love love some woven tablecloths from Sweden I got years ago. They iron up soo beautifully & the thickish woven texture is unlike any tablecloths I’ve found around here. But ya gotta love the polyester no-iron tablecloths too. I reeeaally don’t like to iron. If I do have to iron a tablecloth I take that time to pray for my guests…yup..I do. But I love being able to throw a wrinkled polyester tablecloth into the dryer with a damp dishtowel & it comes right out nice & smooth.
    Okaaay…enough about my tablecloths. Now napkins…that’s another story.

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart — January 21, 2011 @ 6:19 am

Well up until this post I folded them but now I think I need to go hunt down an empty closet to put them in. Wish me luck! LOL!

Glenda Childers — January 21, 2011 @ 6:19 am

Isn’t it fun that just a simple change in our home, can cheer us. I love that!

Fondly,
    Glenda

Heather — January 21, 2011 @ 7:38 am

I definitely fold mine. No room for hanging.

karen @ our slo house — January 21, 2011 @ 7:52 am

Holy smokes, you have a lot of tablecloths!! ; ) I guess that means I’m not a TC girl, right?

I do have a couple and I fold them – no space to hang them.

When I create a tablescape, I prefer using fabric napkins and/or runners to “get the look.” (And there is usually a plain white tablecloth in the background.)

Betsy from Belly Feathers — January 21, 2011 @ 10:01 am

My intention is always to iron and hang them, but instead I just keep my tablecloths folded.

Mrs. Jen B — January 21, 2011 @ 10:19 am

I’m not a huge tablecloth person, but the ones I have are folded and placed (neatly?) in the buffet in the dining room. I’m sure if I had a bigger collection I’d have to start hanging!

Kathy — January 21, 2011 @ 10:21 am

I posted on FB that I hang mine. I’m thinking I really should put the napkins and placemats on clip hangers too.

teresa — January 21, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

I hang them too =) We are empty nesters so I have a spare closet just for the tableclothes
    i have a friend that makes tableclothes for me…love how they turn out….I tend to make mind….just because I have an odd sized dinning table.
    Thanks

Have a great day

Michelle F — January 21, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

I hang mine in the coat closet, I think I took your advice to do that. If I folded them they would be a mess in the hall closet. I think I may spruce up as you did, might even break out the red/white/blue plaid one. Have a great day.

What a wonderful idea to tackle a small house organizing project each day this month. It’ll be wonderful to see all the great things you accomplish. I need to get tackling this house too! :-) Have a wonderful weekend Friend!!!

Linda P. — January 21, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

I have some “every day” tablecloths that I just fold and keep in a wicker basket, alongside the cloth napkins. For my really nice ones, handed down, damask-ish, etc., they get special treatment. I take old cardboard tubes from cling film, aluminum foil, etc., cut down one side, put it over the bar of a sturdy coat or pants hanger (dress hangers tend to sag and buckle), tape them so they retain most of the sturdy cardboard integrity, and hang the nice table linens on that.

Rachel Schumacher — January 21, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

Tell me why I hadn’t even thought before to hang my tablecloths?? Mine get all wrinkled in a small drawer that I have – time to change that! I really only have 3 that I use, and I’ve been using my springy one – it’s white with red and green flowers on it. It may be winter but I need some spring in my house to cheer me up! :)

Kirstin — January 21, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

I don’t think I own ONE tablecloth. Can you believe it? I suppose if I did have them, I store them however was most convenient. We don’t actually have much closet space so I’d probably fold them. I would love to get into using table cloths, but just haven’t.

Donna — January 21, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

And I thought I had a lot of tableclothes!! LOL! Your supply makes my heart beat faster! I loved looking at your selection. Since I have quite a few, hanging them seems to work better. It would still be nice to figure out a system so I knew the size at a glance. If mine are folded, they just seem to get in a big mess whenever I am searching for one.

I love your idea to organize something each day in January. You are such an inspiration. :)

Donna

Laurie — January 21, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

It always feels so satisfying to get something organized!
    I hang my table cloths. White is usually my color of choice,
    mainly because it looks good with everything and you can
    bleach a white table cloth!

Laryssa @Heaven In The Home — January 21, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

Would like to hang them, alas…no room, so I’m a folder.

Debbie — January 21, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

I bought from ikea a pant rack. It has fingers parallel to the floor. I plan on putting my table cloths on these. It is nice and deep and I hope will store them neatly

Linda — January 21, 2011 @ 7:05 pm

Sandy, like you, I hang mine up in a closet. Now that my daughter is a senior in college and more than likely will not live at home again, she boxed up her closet, which left plenty of room for me and my goodies! It’s so great to be able to just go to the closet and pull out a nicely pressed table cloth!

I organize mine by holiday/season.

marlis — January 21, 2011 @ 7:37 pm

I hang mine, with tags on top to indicate the size (I have several sizes) by color. Wonderful to pull them out and not have a lot of extra creases in them!

Emily — January 21, 2011 @ 9:46 pm

I only have 2 tablecloths, a light blue one and a bright orange, red, and green flowered one. My mother-in-law also gave me a lace table cloth like overlay, and I love having that and the light blue tablecloth out!

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove — January 22, 2011 @ 12:23 am

I would love to hang my linens but, lack of closet space makes me use dressers.

Elizabeth in Wisconsin — January 22, 2011 @ 6:26 am

A little bit of both! :) I don’t have enough space in my china hutch to have them all folded, so a few get hung behind the winter coats in our front hall closet. :)

Denise — January 22, 2011 @ 7:31 am

I do both because I don’t quite get my act together to iron them all after laundry. My daughter is 15 now so she is usually assigned cloth ironing duty….she doesn’t seem to mind too much! Someday they will all be hanging neatly in the guest closet…..I said someday not Sunday! As for my favorite….I think of them like little children, they are all unique and each one brings something special to the table!!!!! Setting the table for me is the best part of entertaining (not so much the cooking!) Have a wonderful and blessed Saturday! Denise

Ad K. — January 22, 2011 @ 8:19 am

I hang my tableclothes too! They are in the guest closet with the table runners and extra holiday flags. I love changing them and setting the table for friends and family coming over. Doing a tablescape is fun and relaxing for me.

Danielle M. — January 22, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

Hello, dear R.E.! :)

I fold my tablecloths, although as soon as I live in something besides a cottage and have more closet space, up they shall go.

I wanted to let you know that I changed mantras from you and the Nester last night. I hosted ten ladies in my home this morning (see: cottage and think: small). As I was cleaning in preparation and thinking of what REALLY needed to be completed, I kept saying “It doesn’t have to be perfect to be beautiful! No perfection needed. They are coming for YOU, not your things.”

Thanks for what you have done. :)

Jennifer — January 23, 2011 @ 3:02 am

Mine are folded in my china cabinet…because I have never ONCE thought about hanging them. LOL! Love the idea.

Vicki V — January 23, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

I fold them, but if I had the space, I would love to roll them around cardboard tubes (like fabric comes on) so that they stay crease-free. I saw that on Martha Stewart’s show once.

christine — January 23, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

I learned a secret when I lived in Sweden..they roll up all their linens so that they don’t have line or wrinkles in them. Works really nicely and I seem to have more room in my linen closet when I do this…plus it makes your linen closet look really pretty. I wanted to get some information from you on your balcony girls book. Can I purchase it on my kindle? I can not seem to find it. I want to start this group with some of the young girls in our church and I love the name Balcony girls too. Let me know ho I can pick up this book. Hugs and blessings =O)

Adelle @ ready...GO!...get set — January 24, 2011 @ 3:21 pm

If they are ironed, I hang in the coat closet. Before my son was born, I went crazy and ironed every single one, along with all the napkins. My linen closet was a thing of beauty!

Alas now I more often iron as a go. I love my April Cornell cloths – they scream Spring! I may just have to throw one on to cheer up the place, now that you mention it!

Lisa — January 24, 2011 @ 6:27 pm

Wow Sandy, I can’t believe all your lovely tablecloths! I thought I had a lot at around 10! Mine are hanging in our foyer closet…..I hope your organizing and freshening up your table brought you some winter cheer!

Kelly — January 24, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

When my aunt and uncle had their house built they intentionally put in a closet near the dining room for tablecloths. It’s lovely.

Feel free to completely disregard this idea but if you put your tablecloths all on white hangars they would look even more stunningly organized. (I’m a white hangar fanatic though.) :)

Presently I fold my huge collection of mostly vintage tablecloths but I really should probably sort through and purge some. I like the idea above of rolling them. hmm . . . We’ll see. I can’t use tablecloths day to day right now because my small son would be able to pull them off the table. At nine months they just don’t know that’s not a good idea. :)

Kelly

Brittany @ The MamaZine — January 24, 2011 @ 7:25 pm

I don’t fold or hang them because I’ve never had one! This post made me want some though! I will be on the lookout now. What a great way to make our table look beautiful with decor that I can easily change any time I want. If I do eventually get some I think I’ll hang them in the back of the coat closet. : )

Rachel — January 25, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

Definately, hang tablecloths but still have to iron before using. I needed something new for the breakfast room table, to get through the Winter blahs too. Williams Sonoma Provence in white. Love it!

Curtis & Sherrie — January 26, 2011 @ 10:50 am

Well I am not a tablecloth “girl”, but I am a tablecloth GUY. I have a weakness for all linens, and have at least 30 white table clothes, of various sizes, because we entertain different groups of people and need different sizes for the table size. I also have at least 25 colored tableclothes and napkins. I would love to be able to hang them but all of our closets are full of other things. So I just iron them and fold them, then stack them on a shelf in the closet in our laundry room. We both love to change out the clothes it can make your table look so festive, or elegant depending on what you choose. We are right now enjoying a white table cloth with my Blue Willow dishes on it, makes the dishes really POP!
    Blessings to you and yours
    Curtis & Sherrie

1. Pingback: How to Wash and Remove Holiday Stains from Linen » Lifestyle Coaching