Lemon Curd Ice Cream: It Doesn’t Have to be Fancy

When two couples came for dinner a few weeks ago, I was really giddy inside. Because these people have been my friends for almost 30 years. Yes, I was 5 when I met them (kidding, more like 19), but our friendships have stood the test of time, and these are people that my husband and I do not take their friendships for granted. We really love and appreciate them.

Picking up from where we left off, the last time together.

It was a last-minute dinner that came together with salads and enchiladas – all served buffet style! No time to worry about things having to be perfect!

Now that’s what I call easy entertaining – nothing fancy at all!

When I was thumbing through Pam Anderson’s new cookbook, Perfect One-Dish Dinners, an easy dessert recipe caught my eye. And I had all of the ingredients! Yay! Don’t you love it when you’re looking for a recipe and you have all of the ingredients? And I love Trader Joe’s Lemon Curd! I think this will become my go-to dessert this summer for last minute company.

Lemon Curd Ice Cream
Serves 6-8

1 1/2 pints premium vanilla ice cream
10 oz. lemon curd (I used Trader Joe’s – delicious!)
1 pint fresh raspberries

Soften the ice cream on high for about 30 seconds. Turn ice cream into a medium size bowl and spoon in the store-bought lemon curd by tablespoons into the ice cream. Fold until lemon curd streaks ice cream.

Spoon into 6 martini glasses or goblets, topping each with a few raspberries and SERVE.

What’s your “not-too-fancy” back-up dessert?

20 Responses to “Lemon Curd Ice Cream: It Doesn’t Have to be Fancy”

Becky K. — February 28, 2011 @ 5:28 am

Oh.my.goodness….that looks so fresh and yummy. I love all things lemon and lemon curd on scones is one of my all time favorite treats. So finding another way to enjoy lemon curd is a very good thing. Thanks for the tip. Your presentation is gorgeous too!

So happy that you had a wonderful time with friends. Your photos are lovely.

Lori @ RecipeGirl — February 28, 2011 @ 7:10 am

How perfect! You’re right- so easy to whip something up like this that is just as delicious and satisfying as spending hours in the kitchen :)

Maria — February 28, 2011 @ 7:31 am

I love an easy recipe that still tastes divine! Looks perfect!

MaryBeth — February 28, 2011 @ 9:02 am

Sandy,those gals look so familiar..do I know them. Oh, and the ice cream looks too good not to try. Thanks for the recipe.

Lindsay McPhail — February 28, 2011 @ 9:03 am

No this is my kind of dessert… open a container… no baking!!! oooo I’m stealing it!

melissa @ the inspired room — February 28, 2011 @ 10:01 am

Wow, that looks amazing!!! Yum. I’ve had that lemon curd and it is GOOOOOD! xo

Kathy — February 28, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

I will be trying this one for sure. I think my grands will love to help me put this together. I love how you can make a simple dessert look elegant just using the right dishes.

Cookin' Canuck — February 28, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

This is the perfect recipe for stress-free entertaining. I love to see the pictures of you and your friends – you can tell how happy you make each other. There’s really nothing better than old friendships.

Kirstin — February 28, 2011 @ 8:02 pm

Yummy looking dessert. It sounds so fresh, especially with the raspberries! I don’t do typically do dessert if we have last minute guests. We are just not big dessert people. If we have planned out company I will plan for dessert. My quick dessert is a simple chocolate cake I make with a dusting of powdered sugar and some fruit.

april — February 28, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

Now, you’re going to MAKE me go learn how to make lemon curd just so I can try this recipe–my daughter’s 14th bday is this week, and she will LOVE this with her lemon cake. . .

Michelle (What's Cooking with Kids) — February 28, 2011 @ 10:23 pm

What a nice party! That dessert looks amazing – time to pick the lemons from my tree and get cracking!

Lauren — February 28, 2011 @ 11:10 pm

Oh WOW, Thank you!! I was just telling my husband last night that I wish I knew what to do with this Trader Joes Lemon Curd!!! Amazing :)

Rita — March 1, 2011 @ 6:03 am

That sounds delicious!
    If you like lemon curd, try this super cheat lemon cheesecake recipe:
    Soften a block of cream cheese (the refrigerated kind, not the jar stuff!)
    Spoon in 3 good tablespoons lemon curd, and beat well until combined.
    Spread over a crumb base, or pipe onto gingernut bikkies.
    So simple, but tastes amazing! (and people always ask me for the recipe, and stare at me as if to say “so what do I do next?”)
    So, so, so good!

John — March 1, 2011 @ 6:53 am

I love anything lemon and some times make a cake with lemon curd filling between the layers. When you have time, try the microwave lemon curd recipe from allrecipes.com; the texture and flavor are great. I will try the TJ brand for when I am short on time, thanks for the tip.

PS Love, the beet chili!!!
    John

Suzie — March 1, 2011 @ 7:23 am

The best kind of friends!

Sally — March 1, 2011 @ 11:21 am

I recently found your site and have already been both awed and inspired! This recipe looks yummy, and I can’t wait to try it. In answer to your question about other “not too fancy” back-up desserts, I would share this recipe for “Blueberry Pudding Cake” which I got from my mother, and I don’t know where she found it:

1 can blueberry pie filling
    1 package cake mix (single layer size) (I use half of a regular yellow cake mix when I can’t find one of the Jiffy single layer mixes.)
    1 stick butter, melted

Place fruit in bottom of baking dish or pan (8″ or 9″ square). Sprinkle cake mix over it evenly. Pour melted butter on top. Bake at 350 until fruit bubbles up through cake and cake is done, 45 minutes at least. Serve with topping if desired.

Thanks for all you share!

Donnetta — March 1, 2011 @ 10:33 pm

Oh Yum! My not to fancy dessert is “Chocolate Chip Snackin Cake”. It’s all mixed in the dish it will be baked in (no extra dishes) and is very simple. Also requires no frosting due to the amount of chocolate chips in the cake. So yummy and moist!

PollyS — March 2, 2011 @ 12:35 am

My go-to easy dessert is Cobbler aka “A Cupa, a cupa, cup”

1 C Flour (self rising) (whole wheat is great too)
    1 C Sugar (brown is great too)
    1 C milk
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Mix well

Melt 1 stick butter in 9×13 pan, pour 1/2 of it in the flour mixture.

Pour flour mixture into pan.
    Add whatever fruit you like. My mother always used a can of (drained) peaches, but my children LOVE 2Cups of mixed berries or blueberries.

For everyday dessert, just serve warm and it’s perfect.
    For special occasions top with whipped cream and/or ice cream.

FCL — March 7, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

very good recipe, absolutely delicous and very simple to create, although personally i made it in ice cream maker using my own vanilla ice cream recipe and adding the lemon curd for a nice fresh taste

Jay — March 8, 2011 @ 8:39 pm

this ice cream would be ideal to use for baked alaska, would be nice refreshing change, lemon mirangue baked alaska, or even just served with a small nice soft mirangue