Asparagus & Shaved Parmesan for Easter Brunch

A few weeks ago, when the ‘Meyer Lemon’ was the rave on blogs and in the grocery stores, I bought some and used them in a variety of delicious recipes. I will say that they are superior in flavor, so now when they’re available in the stores, I’ll be buying them for sure.

A very tasty side dish for Easter is asparagus.

At least for my Easter menu this year, it will be one of the highlights of our meal.

A few months ago, I was surfing around online, and I ordered a collection of older Williams-Sonoma classic cookbooks from Amazon. For under $2 each, I now have a classy set that I resort to when I have a certain ingredient that I want to use in the kitchen, because I know the recipes are tried and true. Sort of like I do with my Cook’s Illustrated thick, very-used book.

I’m dying to try Shallots in Red Wine Sauce as a side dish, but what I’m sharing today, just in time for Easter, is Roasted Asparagus.

Roasted Asparagus with Shaved Parmesan
2 bunches (2 lb.) asparagus, trimmed and peeled
2 Tbsp. dry white wine or dry vermouth
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 Tbsp. olive oil
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Toasted pine nuts and balsamic vinegar (optional as a last “touch”)

Preheat the oven to 450. In a large shallow pan, toss together the asparagus, wine, salt and pepper to taste, and add the olive oil until the asparagus is coated.

Roast the asparagus until the spears are browned in spots and are just tender-crisp, about 10 minutes. Do not over cook.

Transfer the asparagus to a platter and drizzle with the lemon juice (Meyers Lemons are the best!) to taste. Then, using a cheese shaver, a vegetable peeler, or a paring knife, shave 1-2 oz. Parmesan over the asparagus.

Serve at once!

Don’t you love the vegetable peeler trick? Also, did you know that Costco now sells shaved Parmesan cheese?

What’s your favorite way to prepare asparagus? And will you be serving it for Easter this Sunday?

11 Responses to “Asparagus & Shaved Parmesan for Easter Brunch”

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart — April 20, 2011 @ 4:13 am

I love asparagus. This recipe looks heavenly. And I love the tip about using a veggie peeler. Nice!
    Have a fabulous day my friend.

P.S. The link to the giveaway is below.

Darla — April 20, 2011 @ 5:11 am

I like roasted asparagras and haven’t tried the addition of parmesan cheese but I will. Often, when cooking for just the two of us I hate to turn on the oven for a handful of asparagras. I use a skillet, put in just a bit of olive oil, lay the asparagras out flat, add a crushed garlic clove and cook it about 10 minutes, shaking the pan the turn the asparagras from time to time. When it is nearly done I add a few strips of Meyer lemon zest. Since we have a tree full of them I always have some on the counter top ready to use.

Darla

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary — April 20, 2011 @ 6:34 am

I’m making my Creamy Asparagus Puffs…so fast and easy but they look like they took a long time to make. I’m so happy when asparagus season is here and the prices are dropping! We love asparagus!

Jo — April 20, 2011 @ 7:08 am

OH! I love this,asparagus and parmesan,delish!

teresa — April 20, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

Just got back from a little trip and catching up on some of my favorite blogs- that asparagus is divine…..I think our Easter table will be serving some of that.
    Happy Day

Kirstin — April 20, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

Ha!! I added my asparagus comment to your previous post…I think I’m tired. Well! I love roasting asparagus, but I also really like to do on my stove in some EVOO and butter with whatever seasonings sound yummy at the time.

Kathy — April 20, 2011 @ 7:17 pm

That looks delicious! What a great addition for an Easter dinner.

Trisha — April 20, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

You’ve done it again, and just in time! What a simple yet elegant recipe. And, I love reading about your collecting the Williams Sonoma cookbooks so inexpensively. Such a treat! Thanks for continuing to take the fear out of entertaining.

Sally — April 21, 2011 @ 8:53 am

Normally, I roast it or toss it on top with stove in olive oil with garlic and rosemary. I will be trying your recipe for Easter Sunday!

Debbie Smith — April 21, 2011 @ 9:50 am

Yummy!!
    We like to put it on the BBQ brush it with olive oil and sea salt and cook till tender crisp. It is soo good cuz parts if it get blackened just a bit and the flavor is amazing

Curtis & Sherrie — April 25, 2011 @ 9:21 am

Oh my!!!!! I did this recipe for yestersay, Easter Sunday, there was not a stalk left !!!! It was awesome! Thank you for sharing this great recipe…. I will be using it alot. And it was SO easy, and the vegetable peeler suggestion was great! Yum Yum Yum
    Blessing to you and yours
    Curtis