Enjoy Your Mom & Harry and David’s Orange Walnut Salad

I’m over at Simple Mom’s today sharing about “courageous hospitality.”

Sometimes hospitality requires more courage than we think we possess. Maybe you could raise your hand and say, “Yes, I could use a dose of more courage.”

I’ve often shied away from courage, because I knew that it could be disruptive to my life; that it would knock me out of my safety zone.

To be honest, I really like comfort…. read more => here.

This last week our family has enjoyed an amazing box of Royal Naval oranges from Harry & David. In fact, so much so that we started hiding the last few from each other because they were so tasty.

Have you ever done that in your family? Hidden the “good” food from each other because you don’t want it all eaten?

Besides enjoying this incredible fruit, all by itself, I made a killer salad that was so fresh and springy tasting, we had it 3 nights in a row for dinner!

Royal Orange Walnut Salad
2 Royal Oranges, peeled and sectioned
2 small heads Bibb lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (or about 12 cups)
1 pound fresh spinach, torn into bite-size pieces
1/2 medium purple onion, sliced and separated into rings
1/2 cup walnuts
2 tsp. butter, melted
You can also add chicken and avocado

Place the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Saute walnuts in butter until lightly browned; add to lettuce mixture right before serving. Toss with your favorite vinaigrette or poppy seed dressing.

For years, I heard the stories of how my mom grew up near the Harry & David orchards, and how she and her sisters had paying jobs picking the fruit. So when I think of Harry and David, I think of my Mom, Millie.

My Mom is now gone, but her memory lives on in many ways in my life and in the lives of my family.

Since it’s Mother’s Day week ahead … I just want to say to you, if your Mom is currently in your life …

Enjoy Your Mom!

What’s your favorite “springy” green salad? And have you tried delicious oranges in a green salad? Also, I’d love to hear if any of your family members hide food from one another?:)

Don’t forget to enter the “Make ONE Mom Happy” Mother’s Day giveaway going on right now. You’ll be spoiled and happy if you win!

(Harry and David provided the “Fruit of the Month” for my family and me to enjoy, and they did not pay me to write this post today.)

9 Responses to “Enjoy Your Mom & Harry and David’s Orange Walnut Salad”

Rachel Schumacher — May 4, 2011 @ 6:35 am

That salad looks good! Our favorite salad, which we are having for dinner tonight, is a chicken oriental salad. Romaine lettuce, mandarin oranges, chow mein noodles, shredded romano cheese, and slices of grilled chicken breasts. The homemade dressing is 1/2 c. sugar, 1/4 c. white vinegar, 1/2 oil, 2 tsp. soy sauce, and 1/2 pkg. oriental seasoning packet from ramen noodles. Probably our favorite part of the meal is that we also have some really good bread with dipping sauce to go with it. Yum!

• kirstin replied: — May 4th, 2011 @ 8:37 pm

This sounds yummy, especially the dressing!!

april — May 4, 2011 @ 7:01 am

It looks delicious. We definitely hide food–ridiculous as it sounds! The favorite, I think, is PEARS. :) Just don’t forget where they are, as they don’t keep long!

Elen — May 4, 2011 @ 9:12 am

I’m smiling! The salad we’ve been eating rather regularly lately combines: spinach leaves, red leaf lettuce, orange sections, walnuts or pecans, goat cheese and a blueberry vinaigrette dressing. Everyone loves this salad. I see you are doing something really yummy with butter and walnuts. I’m going to have to try that. lol

Michelle F — May 4, 2011 @ 9:28 am

Our favorite spring salad is probably a pasta salad using fresh ingredients. My secret…and don’t tell my husband is that I put about 1/2 packet of powdered ranch dressing mix in it combined with a vinegarette. He hates ranch but for some reason scarfs down the pasta salad.

In honor of mother’s day, my favorite salad my mom makes is her macaroni salad. It never turns out the same when I try it. Cheers.

Curtis & Sherrie — May 4, 2011 @ 9:35 am

I agree Sandy, as my mom is no longer with us. I tell everyone I know to celebrate every day with their mother. Mother’s day is bittersweet, I celebrate with my wonderful wife, Sherrie, and my mother in law, Ruby, but it is a day that I miss my mom every year. So for all of you who still have your mother with you, celebrate the day, give her a hug, make sure she knows she is loved. And to all of you who are Mother’s, Happy Mother’s Day!!!!!!
    Blessings to you and yours
    Curtis

kirstin — May 4, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

salad sounds yummy! I love salad that’s loaded with nuts, cranberries and my yummy homemade sweet and sour dressing.

Yes we at times have been known to hide food…at least I do (C: Shhhh…don’t tell

Trisha — May 5, 2011 @ 6:36 am

This salad looks great and will be a yummy treat to make for my Beloved! And, no, we don’t ever hide good food from each other in our house……well, only chocolate.

Rebecca — May 5, 2011 @ 8:22 am

My favorite Spring salad is made up of Romaine lettuce, sliced strawberries, grated jack cheese and toasted walnuts. I’m always anxious for our berry stand to open so that I can start making this beautiful plate of deliciousness. The original salad recipe called for bibb lettuce but since it’s not available in our regular market, I just make it with Romaine. The homemade dressing makes it absolutely delicious. Dressing: 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup oil, 2 gloves minced garlic, a couple of shakes of paprika, salt and pepper to taste. That’s it! I’ve served it for Valentine’s Day luncheons(the sliced berries look like hearts) and teas, Mother’s Day, family celebrations and even for a weekday meal. I also like making this as individual salads. I just toss the lettuce with the dressing, place on the salad plate, and then top with the jack cheese, berries, and toasted walnuts. I’ll post a picture next time I make it! I can hardly wait to try your Orange Salad. Happy Mother’s Day!