Warm Connections {Day 1}: Secret Ingredient to Warmer Connections

I want to thank my friend, Nester, for inspiring a whole bunch of bloggers to write about their passions in the month of October. We did it last year, and this year we’re doing it again.

Welcome to 31 Days …

My heart keeps coming back to our fast-paced world, how we naturally get into routines and rhythms with our families and schedules, and how busyness sets in. Even though we naturally long to spend time with family and friends, we often lose sight of what’s important.

Busyness. A demanding schedule is the biggest hindrance to getting together with those we love.

Disinterest. Sometimes, sadly, we’re just not interested in others.

Disappointment. We stop connecting when we’re hurt or others don’t reciprocate.

Neglect. We forget that relationships are eternal, the most important thing in our lives.

I’m never disappointed when we invite people into our home. The best gifts in life are enjoying the relationships around us, the blessings of eating and drinking together, listening and engaging with one another.

Today, October 1, 2011, as the weather has already begun to feel like Fall, even with a few Indian Summer lingering days, it’s time to hunker down and get cozy.

It’s time for “warmer connections” that honestly may take me outside of my comfort zone, but in the end, will bring happiness and inner peace and are a secret ingredient to ending loneliness.

I’m glad you are here with me today. Will you join me for the next 30 Days in October? (Share your link below!)

Do you struggle, like most of us do, with busyness, disinterest, disappointment or neglecting what could be warmer connections in your life?

Here are my lovely friends who are hosting the 31 Days series this month:

Nester – 31 Days of Lovely Limitations

Jen - 31 Days to Balancing Both Beauty and a Budget

Jessica – 31 Days of Memory Keeping

Melissa: 31 Days: Inspired Holidays

Sandy: 31 Days of Warmer Connections

Darcy: 31 Days of Photo Tips

Emily: 31 Days to Change the World

Emily: 31 Days of the Little Things

62 Responses to “Warm Connections {Day 1}: Secret Ingredient to Warmer Connections”

melissa @ the inspired room — September 30, 2011 @ 10:38 pm

Looking forward to your series, Sandy!!

Jade @ No Longer 25 — October 1, 2011 @ 12:39 am

Wow!!! How early did everyone link up, can’t belive there are so many, hopefully I’ll get round to seeing quite a lot of them this month. There’s so much variety here too.

Have a lovely weekend Sandy,
    Jade

bendedspoon — October 1, 2011 @ 1:34 am

Warm connection feels good — got to connect here! :)

brie. — October 1, 2011 @ 1:51 am

thanks for opening this up to all – enjoying the challenge – gotta get writing! and i agree, i never regret opening our home. it is such a joy to extend ourselves to others.

Lynn from For Love or Funny — October 1, 2011 @ 4:13 am

Sandy, I love how you said that relationships are external. So true!

Robin Sue — October 1, 2011 @ 7:00 am

Sandy I am on board with you all! This 31 days should be fun. I think I do not connect with others as often as I like because everyone else is busy, which brings me to disappointment. Do you know hard it is in my area (DC metro area) to get a lady to go to coffee? Their calenders are so full that they can’t even fit a cup of coffee in, so I give up very easily- or I need a new plan;-)

Kirstin — October 1, 2011 @ 8:48 am

Beautiful post Sandy! I think I let busyness get in the way. Though we are having a young engaged couple over tonight as well as a few of our youngest daughter’s friends. I was also talking to another friend yesterday who wants to come over and have my homemade chimichangas and we were coordinating a time.

Sheila — October 1, 2011 @ 9:33 am

Wow that is ALOT of linkyness going on! How awesome so glad to be apart.

Glenda Childers — October 1, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

One post in, and I already want to invite someone over. Great start, Sandy. Thanks for inviting us to join the blogging and reading this year. Can you believe the crazy response already?

Fondly,

Glenda
    31 days of Christmas Wonder (#223)

Anna @ Take the Side Street — October 1, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

I am really interested in this and can’t wait to read along this month! :)

Joy McLaughlin — October 2, 2011 @ 3:34 am

Great idea! Looking forward to reading and learning from you this month!

Lisa — October 3, 2011 @ 5:18 am

I’d love to join you on this journey. The Lord has taught me so much about hospitality over the years, but I know I have much more to learn. My mom wasn’t much of an everyday host. She was great at events, and I thank her for that example. But I want my home to be a gathering place for family and friends. Learning how to do that naturally is something I still need to work on. Looking forward to what you have in store!

Holly — October 3, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

I love the plates in this picture; do you mind telling me where you got them and the style?

• Sandy replied: — October 3rd, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

Holly, French Countryside and guess what? They are 20 years old. They are my wedding dishes. :)

Richella at Imparting Grace — October 7, 2011 @ 10:38 am

Hey girl–I’ve been out of town this week, so I’m just now catching up on a little blog reading. Need to do some blog writing, but what would it be to do all writing and no reading??

I love the “warm connections” idea! It makes me happy the way you always pull us back to the notion of opening our homes and inviting others to share life with us. :)

Laura — March 17, 2012 @ 8:19 pm

Wow, so much to choose from!

1. Pingback: Gorgeous Greek Layer Dip with Toasted Pita Chips « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

2. Pingback: Bringing the Beauty of Autumn to Your Table - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

3. Pingback: How to Find Contentment - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

4. Pingback: Easy Pear Cobbler Recipe - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

5. Pingback: Bush's Garbanzos, Chicken, and Quinoa Soup for a Sports Family - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

6. Pingback: Chewy Lowfat Chocolate Chip Cookies with Toasted Pecans « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

7. Pingback: 31 Days More About Others - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

8. Pingback: 31 Days of Warm Connections - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

9. Pingback: The Saturday Morning Craze & Peanut Butter Banana Scones « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

10. Pingback: Super Fun and Spooky Halloween Foods « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

11. Pingback: Waffle-Berry Chocolate Chip Pudding « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

12. Pingback: Technology Versus People - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

13. Pingback: The Table Experience with Bush's Beans - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

14. Pingback: Dreaming of Autumn Guests - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

15. Pingback: Mocha Cream Liqueur Slimmed Down « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

16. Pingback: Mocha Cream Liqueur Slimmed Down « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

17. Pingback: A Homemade Life - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

18. Pingback: Annz Philly Cheesesteak French Dipz « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

19. Pingback: Sisters in New York City - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

20. Pingback: Learning to Give to Those in Need - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

21. Pingback: Connections through Food and the Liebster Awards « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

22. Pingback: Enjoying Everyday Sounds - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

23. Pingback: Chardonnay Mushrooms « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

24. Pingback: Life's Small Moments - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

25. Pingback: Reinventing your Old Food and a Spinach & Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

26. Pingback: Well-Designed Kitchen Counter - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

27. Pingback: Candied Ginger « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

28. Pingback: In Real Life - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

29. Pingback: Finally! the Perfect Spinach & Artichoke Dip … with Chardonnay Mushrooms « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

30. Pingback: Chocolate Caramel Bars - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

31. Pingback: “Got the Blues” Beefy Mushroom Pizza « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

32. Pingback: Hospitality in a Messy House - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

33. Pingback: Fresh Tomato and Blue Cheese Soup « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

34. Pingback: Melted Witches for Halloween « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

35. Pingback: Yellow Watermelon Basil Sorbet & the Versatile Blogger Award « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

36. Pingback: the best of what’s around….

37. Pingback: My Dad’s Soft & Wonderful Yogurt Bread « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

38. Pingback: Rustic Rosemary Bread « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

39. Pingback: » Annz Philly Cheesesteak French Dipz Sumptuous Spoonfuls

40. Pingback: » “Got the Blues” Beefy Mushroom Pizza Sumptuous Spoonfuls

41. Pingback: » Chewy Lowfat Chocolate Chip Cookies with Toasted Pecans Sumptuous Spoonfuls

42. Pingback: » Super Fun and Spooky Halloween Foods Sumptuous Spoonfuls

43. Pingback: » The Saturday Morning Craze & Peanut Butter Banana Scones Sumptuous Spoonfuls

44. Pingback: » Mocha Cream Liqueur Slimmed Down Sumptuous Spoonfuls