RE Friday Round-Up: Tuna Checkboard and 400 More Sandwiches

I’m happy to feature my friend Alison Lewis‘ latest book today on RE, “400 Best Sandwiches: From Classics & Burgers to Wraps & Condiments” published by Robert Rose, Inc.

Here’s a little about the book:

This is the go-to book on sandwiches. These recipes can be enjoyed at any mealtime — not just lunch — and include a wide array of snacks, appetizers and desserts. In addition to the standard fare, there is a selection of wonderful, intriguing and creative new recipes. With hundreds of choices, 400 Best Sandwich Recipes has the perfect sandwich for anyone’s craving, and every recipe can easily be prepared by the home chef.

(Alison and her kiddos.)

It’s fun to mix and match different types of bread, to jazz up the kids’ sandwiches. Even though I’ve moved beyond the sandwich-making years (1 kid is in college and 2 make their own lunches), Alison gives great recipe ideas not only for the kids, but luncheons, special events, picnics, or just plain ol’ fun get-togethers!

Head to Alison’s at Ingredients, Inc., for this tasty Tuna Checkerboard Sandwich recipe (top photo), which gives regular tuna a twist, using lemon juice and white wine vinegar instead of mayonnaise. And make sure to pick up her new book!

It is healthier, light and a great new way to get the kids (or guests) to eat more tuna.

In the meantime, I’m linking up to more fantastic tuna recipes today. A few years back I used to can 100 pounds of tuna every summer (yes! 100 lbs. until gas and tuna prices went sky-high), and our family misses the fresh flavor (it’s better when home-canned!).

What’s your “go-to” way of whipping up a tuna sandwich?

The Pioneer Woman: Tuna Melts

For the Love of Mayo: Grilled Tuna and Cheese

FANNEtastic Food: Cheesy Avocado Tuna Sandwich

The Sweet Life: Red Onion and Kalamata Olive Tuna Sandwiches

Mommy’s Kitchen: Ma maws Tuna Salad for Sandwiches

Tasty Treats: Cold Tuna Sandwich (Foot-long)

Mennonite Girls Can Cook: Tuna Wraps

Coastal Living: Tuna Avocado Cups

Picky Palate: Classic Tuna Fish Sandwiches

Babble’s The Family Kitchen: 5 Fantastic Tuna Melts

11 Responses to “RE Friday Round-Up: Tuna Checkboard and 400 More Sandwiches”

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — September 23, 2011 @ 4:43 am

Thank you so much for sharing! You are so sweet!

MyPeaceOfFood — September 23, 2011 @ 5:15 am

Make sure you buy your tuna at the health-food store…the major brands use unethical fishing practices, and there may be another nationwide boycott soon!

Anne P — September 23, 2011 @ 5:23 am

Thanks for the shout out! Love me some tuna :) Those recipes all look awesome!

Judy@Savoring Today — September 23, 2011 @ 5:45 am

That is one great tuna round up! We love tuna melts around here, a quick, easy meal.

Bev Weidner — September 23, 2011 @ 7:03 am

Oh. My. Gosh.

I could face-plant every single sandwich I just looked at.

Dear….babies…

e-Mom — September 23, 2011 @ 11:11 am

Nice post, Sandy! My husband “requires” tuna sandwiches after church on Sundays. I’ll try some of these variations. ღ

Kirstin — September 23, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

I have had fresh canned tuna once and LOVED it!!! I love a good grilled tuna sandwich. My fave is on Dave’s Killer Bread spread with butter on the outside, softened cream cheese on the inside, cheese and tuna….YUM!!

margaritte nalupa — September 23, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

hmnnnn…they are all yummy! i love the idea of grilled tuna sandwich! thanks for sharing. My daughter love fish ang grilled sandwich so its a perfect combo!

Wild Planet Foods — September 23, 2011 @ 5:00 pm

Fantastic list, there are definitely some recipes I’ll have to try! Like MyPeaceofFood mentioned above, the big three tuna companies do not fish sustainably causing there to be bycatch and the fish to have high mercury levels. We at Wild Planet source our tuna from the North Pacific where the tuna are small, therefore have less than half the mercury compared to the other brands. We also use the pole and troll method which eliminates bycatch:)

Ann — September 24, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

Oh, delicious! Sadly, I’m allergic to tuna…but I LOVE a good sandwich! I’ll have to check out the book! Thanks for sharing!

christy — September 24, 2011 @ 7:59 pm

Yummy! Can’t wait to give some of those a try!