New Year’s Eve Party and Chocolate-dipped Bacon

If you’re gearing up for a New Year’s Eve party, here’s a little inspiration from a post I wrote last year, plus sharing a Chocolate-dipped Bacon Recipe!

Hosting NYE this year?

It’s about how to invite and delegate, create and borrow, be organized and think ahead.

It includes easy flow and name tags, conversation and music ideas, and … tah-dah … what to wear!

You can read all about it, here.

Also, one year ago, I knew that my NYE dinner party would be a part of this beautiful new book, Where Women Cook: Celebrate! It was a blast to put it all together (in the month of October). And I’m grateful for my friends who participated.

My hope and dream was that by sharing my annual dinner party, others would be inspired as well.

Laughter, sharing stories, acceptance, and the connection to existing and new friendships form the basis of hospitality. Feelings of inadequacy, unrealistic expectations, fear of failure, and the lack of time all conspire to steal the joy that comes from opening one’s home to others.

“Fear is often a jail cell locking us in so that we don’t form friendships.” Friends bring zest to life. Without friendships, we become lonely, isolated, and smaller than we want and need to be.” – Where Women Cook: Celebrate!

One of the recipes I shared for dessert at this dinner party was Chocolate-dipped Bacon.

Yes. Chocolate. Dipped. Bacon.

If you’re having a party this year, try this on your guests. They will love you.

Ending the year of 2011, and looking back on many hospitable moments with great friends, brings beautiful feelings of joy and nostalgia.

As I’ve said throughout the year, entertaining is all about the people.

Will you be hosting a NYE party this year or participating in one?

Chocolate-dipped Bacon Recipe

Yield: 6

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes + 1 hour cooling

Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes

A treat your guests will love.

Ingredients:

• 6-8 slices thick-cut, best-quality bacon
  • 12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips or your favorite chocolate

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375. Place the bacon on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake in oven to desired doneness; bacon should not be too soft nor so crisp that it breaks easily, about 15 minutes.

Cool on the parchment paper for 5 minutes and then transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.

Line another baking sheet with parchment paper.

Melt chocolate in a double broiler or on low in the microwave.

Using tongs, carefully dip a bacon strip halfway into the melted chocolate, turning to coat all sides, and set on parchment.

Repeat with each remaining slice of bacon.

Refrigerate 1 hour or until chocolate is hard.

Arrange on a tiered serving dish. Serve the same day as a savory and sweet appetizer, before dessert or as a mini dessert.

14 Responses to “New Year’s Eve Party and Chocolate-dipped Bacon”

Kim ~ Recipes To Run On — December 30, 2011 @ 6:28 am

Sandy, I can’t wait to get that book! As always you look beautiful and must’ve thrown an amazing New Year’s Eve party. Happy New Year Friend!!!

Heather @ new house, new home, new life — December 30, 2011 @ 7:12 am

Hi Sandy – my DIL has been bugging me to make chocolate dipped bacon as they had tried it just recently at a Christmas Market in Toronto. Never heard of it and here you have it. Next time they visit, it’s on the menu.

Hope you are going to have a wonderful New Year’s Eve. My husband and I are sharing a quiet night at home with a bottle of champagne, a couple of lobsters and an outdoor fire (weather permitting as it’s supposed to rain).

Looking forward to what you have in store for us in 2012!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — December 30, 2011 @ 7:41 am

I’ve always wanted to try chocolate- dipped bacon. That was my mission at the fair last summer until I saw they were charging $8 for a big tub of the stuff. I don’t think so! I just wanted a taste! I’ll have to give it a shot via your method :) Happy New Year!

teresa — December 30, 2011 @ 10:27 am

Holy Cow- Chocolate dipped bacon- now that could be dangerous …..Thanks for having a wonderful site to visit this year.
    Happy New Year.

Jennifer (Savor) — December 30, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

I am excited to be part of the Ziploc campaign with you!!

Tickled Red — December 30, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

What a gorgeous table and yummy bacon :D Happy New Year to you and your family love!! xoxo

Lauren@SimplyLKJ — December 30, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

I have heard of this, but never had it before. Would be fun to try. Looks like you all had a wonderful celebration last year. Happy New Year! Look forward to seeing what you and Ziploc have in store for us.

Becky — December 30, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

Hi Sandy-
    I just wanted to wish you & your family a wondrous New Year. I love your blog and look forward to seeing what you have posted each morning. You bring me much joy from blog land. :) I can’t wait for spring to get here to see how your seedlings and garden are doing. I have learned so much from you. Thank You! <3
    Happy 2012 to us all!
    Becky

Ann — December 30, 2011 @ 10:27 pm

LOVE chocolate dipped bacon! I think it’s wonderful that your party was featured in a book – you are so talented and have terrific advice and series.

This year, we are playing cards with out regular card friends. It’s casual, fun and in true Earl Sandwich fashion, we have big, make-your-own sandwiches!

New Years Day, some other friends (who are MASTER BBQ Judges!) make BBQ and everyone brings a dish and we all celebrate with good food and friendship!

So…I’m going to have a FUN weekend!

Laura — December 30, 2011 @ 10:44 pm

Now that looks like a fun party! I will be buying this book!

I wish we were throwing a party with grown-ups, but it’s just me, my husband and the kids this year. We tend to wake the kids up and let them drink sparkling cider and make a little noise at midnight to celebrate the new year. Very exciting for the 8 and under crowd :) I’m excited for the season when we can throw a proper New Years party!

You’ve been an inspiration this year ~ wishing you and your family the best in the year to come!

Ad K. — December 30, 2011 @ 10:44 pm

My husband and I will be having a quiet dinner at home and opening a special bottle of wine to share. We usually have a small group over for brunch late the next morning.

Melinda Stanton — December 31, 2011 @ 8:32 am

You will b proud of me Sandy- I’m the queen of reading about/planning something to death but rarely actually DOING it (what was it that James said??) bu tonight we are having a dinner party! 3 extra couples- all very old friends whose company we treasure. Thanks for the inspiration and prodding!

1. Pingback: Stress-Free New Year's Eve Dinner Party | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

2. Pingback: Top 10 Cozy Winter Recipes | RentMoola Blog