Killer Cranberry Sauce Served on Hot Brie Cheese

This sweet, tart, gingery-orange Killer Cranberry Sauce is perfect for the holidays – best served on brie.

We love cranberry sauce during the holidays, and our favorite use is to spread the tart, sweet flavors of cranberries, fresh ginger and orange on top of hot brie and then serve with nuts and crackers.

Oh, boy. Can you say killer appetizer?

My daughter and I were recently honored to help serve and help at a dinner party and we were asked to bring the appetizer. We whipped up a batch of cranberry sauce and brought our favorite, Killer Cranberry Sauce served HOT on brie cheese. (RE TIP: Freeze fresh ginger in a Ziploc bag!)

It’s yummy year-round, but it’s really festive and a crowd-pleaser during the holidays.

What’s your favorite way to serve brie?

Killer Cranberry Sauce

Yield: 12

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

This sweet, tart, gingery-orange Killer Cranberry Sauce is perfect for the holidays - best served on brie.

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 navel orange
  • 1/2 t grated ginger (I used 2 T. crystalized ginger)
  • 4 c. cranberries
  • 1/2 c. toasted pecans (optional)

Directions:

1. Grate the orange zest and add to a pot with the sugar and ginger.
  2. Add the juice from the orange into the pot and simmer over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
  3. Add cranberries and cook until they pop - about 5 minutes.
  4. Add pecans and cool the sauce. (Optional: Serve the pecans on top.)

11 Responses to “Killer Cranberry Sauce Served on Hot Brie Cheese”

Heather @ new house, new home, new life — December 23, 2011 @ 6:45 am

Hi Sandy
    We like to make brie with a fig preserve, crushed gingersnaps and walnuts – all sandwiched in between and baked for about 10 minutes. Hmm, writing this makes me want to make it now!!

Laura — December 23, 2011 @ 9:12 am

We usually just cut little pieces and snack on it by itself! But my favorite way is to grill some bread, brush honey on it, and melt a slice of brie over a slice of fresh peach on the bread. Not exactly winter food. Your recipe looks delicious! I’ll have to see if I can make it at the in-laws this weekend.

Debbie — December 23, 2011 @ 10:47 am

This really looks good and easy Sandy. I pinned it to Pinterest with a link back to your recipe and shared it on Facebook. I love to find appetizer recipes like this one.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Blessings and love,
    Debbie

• Pinky replied: — December 23rd, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

HOw do you do that? Pin it to Pinterest? Would love to know how!!!

Pinky — December 23, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

Thanks for this recipe! I will be doing this one! Have a very merry and blessed Christmas. XO, Pinky

Kathy — December 23, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

I love cranberry sauce…will book mark your recipe. That brie looks so festive.

Ann — December 23, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

As soon as I read the title, I KNEW this was something I would LOVE! Amazing recipe, stunning pictures and another winner! Thank you so much….and Merry Christmas!

Ad K. — December 23, 2011 @ 11:54 pm

Yum! This has all our favorites rolled into one great appetizer. Baked brie topped with just about anything is a favorite at our house. We sometimes have been known to skip dinner and stuff ourselves with baked brie, crackers and sliced fruit, shame on us! Merry Christmas, Sandy, to you and yours!

Dee — November 19, 2012 @ 8:57 am

Looks good. Do you heat brie then top with the cranberries or heat both brie and cranberries together. Then top with the pecans? What temp and how long to heat brie?
    Thanks.

1. Pingback: Last Minute Appetizer For Christmas: Sandy's Killer Cranberry Sauce Over Brie Cheese | Family Kitchen

2. Pingback: Bringing Jezebel Sauce as a Holiday Hostess Gift | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening