Slow Cooker Gouda Sausage Breakfast Casserole

Years ago I posted a slow cooker breakfast casserole idea on RE, but it’s now buried in my archives. Time to revive the idea and post a new recipe, one I tried this last weekend with my family.

You prepare it the night before, turn on the slow cooker, go to bed, and when you wake up, breakfast is ready!

By the way, here’s a little trivia on the difference between a crockpot and a slow cooker. I found it to be interesting.

Back to the yummy recipe …

We love gouda cheese, and the flavor was really good in this casserole.

I also baked my own potatoes, cooled, peeled and shredded them for the recipe. It’s much less expensive than buying frozen.

Do you ever make your own hash browns, or do you always buy frozen?

14 Responses to “Slow Cooker Gouda Sausage Breakfast Casserole”

brie. — January 13, 2012 @ 5:58 am

i am hosting a bunch baby shower in a few weeks – i was going to serve strata, but you’ve just made it all the easier – and really, who doesn’t love gouda? also, thanks for the tip of the shredded potato – never would have thought of baking them!

Heather @ new house, new home, new life — January 13, 2012 @ 7:10 am

I’m always stuck for an easy breakfast dish to serve to overnight guests of which we have a lot. This is definitely going to be “pinned” for future reference.

Mary — January 13, 2012 @ 7:24 am

Hi Sandy,

I love the idea of using sun-dried tomatoes. They have such wonderful flavor! We have been having some cold weather here in Texas, so this will be perfect for our Saturday morning breakfast! Thanks so much for sharing it.

Regarding the hash browns…yes, I’m with you. I always grate my own potatoes. The expense of the store bought potatoes really isn’t worth it. I’d rather put my money towards the frozen chopped green bell peppers. I always find those so handy. I also like keeping frozen petite peas on hand. I really do think the are “fresher” than the fresh peas in the market in the spring. Besides, it’s nice to have a few frozen peas to use to add a splash of color to a winter stew.

Have a great weekend.

Love,

Mary

Robin Sue — January 13, 2012 @ 7:32 am

I would love to wake up to this dish all hot and ready to go for me. Good one!!

Rebecca Lindamood — January 13, 2012 @ 7:33 am

Oh my goodness this looks good! I’m always looking for easy breakfasts because I’m good for nothing until I’ve had 2 cups of tea and I have a family of 7 to feed. I’ll definitely give this a whirl soon!

Bev Weidner — January 13, 2012 @ 7:55 am

Mommy…..

ellen b — January 13, 2012 @ 11:12 am

This looks delicious and we love gouda!

Jenni — January 13, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

Hey-SOOS but that looks good! Will have to make next time we have overnight guests; will wow them in the morning!!

Tickled Red — January 13, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

Okay that’s just brilliant! Yummy, Gouda! This would be perfect for those morning that we over sleep and are in a rush to make the school bus :D

Ann — January 16, 2012 @ 12:01 am

This is a GREAT recipe! I LOVE making things like this when I have guests over…it’s nice to have a delicious breakfast ready when folks start waking up, but sometimes it can be WORK! This would give me the opportunity to concentrate on other things yet take good care of my visitors! Thank you!

Shannon — January 19, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

So, NEVER thought about buying the potatoes instead of the frozen hashbrowns. Love it. Do you shred them by hand or throw them in a food processor? Bake them just like normal baked potatoes? Just curious about the best method. Thanks, Sandy!

Kimberly — June 16, 2012 @ 2:27 pm

I make them. I boil the potatoes peeled and left whole until they are pretty cooked. I put them into a bowl of water and tuck them into the fridge for at least an hour, or just leave them there overnight. (The soaking helps them not to absorb as much oil.) In the morning I grate them and fry them brown nice and quick!

Sara — July 3, 2012 @ 3:20 pm

Anxious to try this this weekend! Do you brown the sausage before you put it in the slow cooker? Thanks!

1. Pingback: Swapping 9x13's with Overnight Breakfast Casserole | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening