Banana Walnut Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Birthday celebrations … it’s such a joy to honor another person and celebrate another year of life with them.

Which brings me to my post today about my Dad and Banana Walnut Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.

My Dad turned 75 last month and as is our family tradition, every year my sisters and I join together to cook a family favorite German dish called Fleischkuechle.

We were happy to gather, to celebrate another year of our Dad’s life. Isn’t every year a gift from God?

I also knew that Dad loved banana cake, and guess what was sitting on my kitchen counter?

Yup – 5 ripe bananas just screaming to be mashed and baked into a delicious cake.

Pulling out my Mom’s church cookbook that she gave me for my 30th birthday, I thumbed to the “cake” section where I already had this recipe earmarked: Banana Walnut Cake with Cream Cheese frosting. I combined the recipes from 2 different pages because I had made notes in the book that these recipes were delicious together.

We layered the 3 cakes together differently this time, with lemon curd in between and the frosting on top. But many times I’ve also frosted the entire cake.

Either way, it’s pure yumminess!

And then my sisters and I served up the dessert …

What’s your “go-to” birthday cake to make for a special person? Do you ask them first what they like, or like me, use up what you already have in the kitchen?

16 Responses to “Banana Walnut Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting”

Aggie — February 6, 2012 @ 5:13 am

What a beautiful cake!!! I love any cake that has the sweetness of banana, so delicious!

I love that first photo of all of you with your dad, so sweet!

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary — February 6, 2012 @ 6:47 am

That first photo is beautiful. Just pouring with emotion. Love it!
    The cake doens’t look to shabby either!
    Have a great day!

Heather @ new house, new home, new life — February 6, 2012 @ 6:54 am

I’m a big fan of banana cake and the addition of the cream cheese frosting sounds yummy. For our birthday celebrations, I usually make a chocolate cake layered with ganache and topped with chocolate curls -yummy. In fact, it’s on the menu for a supper on Wednesday night.

Kim | At Home With Kim — February 6, 2012 @ 6:55 am

Sandy ~ your posts always feel like “home”. :-) Love love coming here. Yes, I’ve gotten in the habit of asking each family member what they want for their bday cakes….. I love to see who picks what and I love making them. Have a super start to your week!!

Mary — February 6, 2012 @ 7:40 am

Hi Sandy,

Oh that cakes looks yummy!

Overall, my family is easy to please, so when it comes to baking cakes for them – I tend to use what I have on hand. Most of the time everyone is happy with chocolate cake or if I’m feeling very ambitious…cheese cake. I always seem to have cream cheese and ricotta on hand.

Just love seeing the pics of you, your sisters, and your Dad!

Love,
    Mary

Deb Meyers — February 6, 2012 @ 8:29 am

I always ask what the celebrant would like for his/her meal and cake/pie/treat. So fun to please them!

Hands down the best chocolate layer cake, which is my son’s perpetual request and STILL did not have anything better than a Texas sheet cake in the arsenal, is this recipe just in time for his 18th birthday. A SERIOUS WOW.

Kathy @ House of Hills — February 6, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Oh my goodness. That looks amazing. I so want to make it.

On the cream cheese frosting. I’m assuming it’s 1/4 CUP butter, but it could be 1/4 POUND, which would be a different measurement entirely. So, wanted to clarify.

Thanks so much for all your fabulous recipes.

John — February 6, 2012 @ 8:46 am

I love the addition of lemon curd, I would not have thought of it but can’t wait to try it!

o-girl — February 6, 2012 @ 11:19 am

eeeeeeeee!!! I’ve been thinking about the cake my mom used to make when I was little/growing up, a banana walnut cake w/cream cheese frosting and wondered if I’d be able to find a recipe. I was doubly excited about this when I see that you got the recipe from your mom’s church recipe book! My mom would make her cakes for many a church pot luck! Thanks for sharing & posting this recipe!!

Richella at Imparting Grace — February 6, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

Many times I’ve made cream cheese frosting to go with my pumpkin bread, but I’ve never thought of pairing it with banana (bread or cake or anything else)–what a good idea! I like cream cheese frosting with pretty much anything in the world.

You’re so smart to use what you have. I always ask what someone would like–hence I sometimes end up with a LOT of bananas in my freezer. ‘Twould be better to use up what I have! :)

Angela — February 7, 2012 @ 1:02 am

Don’t tell my mom that this recipe exists outside of her home! She thinks it’s her secret recipe….even though someone else put it in their church cookbook! Too funny! It is that fantastic!!!! Maybe I’ll tell my kids it’s a family secret too! Makes it more special! Love the pics of your Dad and all the happy smiles! Hugs!

JulieD — February 7, 2012 @ 5:27 am

Sandy, I love the first picture of you and your family! This cake looks fabulous. I hope he had a happy birthday!!

Kim — February 7, 2012 @ 6:39 am

Sandy, Thanks so much for posting this recipe! This is my Mom’s favorite cake and there is only one bakery that makes it. Next time I’ll make it for her. Blessings my friend. BTW – I pinned it.

FestivePartyGirl — February 8, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

My mom used to make banana cake when I was growing up. I had forgotten about it until now. I love making banana bread and really want to try this cake. Thanks for the memories. :)

Sallu Vs — February 22, 2012 @ 8:14 am

I’m getting ready to make now, only will be omitting filling as I’m making as cupcakes. I only wish you had some comments from folks who have tried making and tasting. I pulled a similar recipe off the internet, but the cake came out dry. This time, I’ve compared your cake receipe to my banana bread recipe (which everyone raves over) and they’re very similar. My NEXT comment will be to let you know how these turned out!

Becky Hale — May 11, 2012 @ 5:34 am

Hello,

I recently made this cake and have to say it is delicious. I am not used to measuring things in cups (as I am from the UK and we do everything in grams on the scale) so was a bit dubious as to how the cake would turn out. It came out beautifully though and made the whole house smell of bananas. What a great way to use up ripe bananas, even got the kids involved with the mashing, mixing and decorating!