Boys! Fresh Blackberry Bread Just Out of the Oven! Love, Mom

So often my son has to turn down desserts because they are not cooked with lactose-free ingredients. That is until recently, as we discovered Redwood Hill Farm and Green Valley Organics products, which are now available at Whole Foods Markets and other grocery, specialty and natural food retailers nationwide.

This week I whipped up several loaves of lactose-free, blackberry whole-wheat bread, which our whole family enjoyed. I made 1 large loaf and 2 small loaves.

I grew up with blackberries. We lived on 3 acres, and early in the morning I’d head out to the blackberry bushes, near the creek, to pick for my mom’s friends. I’d get a whoppin’ $1.00 a gallon, which way back then, was a lot of money. :)

You know how sweet bread made with whole-wheat flour can be sometimes dry?

Well, not this recipe. I used Green Valley’s sour cream and their plain yogurt. Delish!

So I posted the bread on Facebook, using this lovely picture:

Boys! Fresh Blackberry Bread just out of the oven! Love, Mom

And then I tagged my two sons who were out and about with friends. :)

Clever, huh?

We’ve recently been using Redwood Hill Farm and Green Valley Organics products in our cooking, because they are lactose-free and more “family friendly” for our particular family’s dietary needs.

Here’s a little more information about their farms, which I hope to visit one day! My friend, Marla, visited Redwood Hill Farm and I think you’ll really love her recap and beautiful photography. By the way, California is not too far from Oregon! :)

They are an award-winning company, since 1968, that offers goat yogurts, kefirs and cheeses, nationwide. Each goat and cow dairy product made at Redwood Hill Farm & Creamery Inc.’s solar-powered creamery is GMO free, gluten free, kosher certified and Certified Humane Raised and Handled. The products contain no artificial flavors, sweeteners, coloring, preservatives or stabilizers. It’s all natural, wholesome goodness!

What’s your favorite “berry” to use in a bread? And do you have any “lactose-free” members in your family?

Here’s my Spelt Blackberry Bread recipe from last year.

Stay in touch with Green Valley Organics and Redwood Hill Farm on: Twitter: @RedwoodHillFarm, Facebook, and their websites Redwood Hill Farm and Green Valley Organics

(I am working with Redwood Hill Farm and Green Valley Organics, but as always, my thoughts, opinions and the photos are entirely my own.)

15 Responses to “Boys! Fresh Blackberry Bread Just Out of the Oven! Love, Mom”

Andrea — August 24, 2012 @ 5:10 am

OMGosh! I’ve been looking for a good recipe to use with the wild blackberries my husband so kindly picked for me in the triple digit heat of the summer. Thanks!

Tara G. — August 24, 2012 @ 6:28 am

So how long did it take for the boys to get home?! I am lactose intolerant, but it depends on the product as to my reaction. I’ve been drinking lots of milk now that we’re back! :) We love blueberries and have enjoyed them so much since we arrived…and all the other really fresh fruits and veggies…and large washing machines….and….!! :)

Kirstin — August 24, 2012 @ 8:45 am

Yum! We don’t have anyone who is lactose intolerant in our family, but several friends..I’ll have to try this.

Kim — August 24, 2012 @ 9:43 am

I love blackberries! My husband is lactose intolerant, and I am happy to know about Green Valley Organic lactose free sour cream and yogurt.

Green Valley Organics — August 24, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

Way to get the boys to come home!

We’re so excited to see this recipe – at this very moment, we have the most beautiful, perfectly ripe blackberries growing wild right here on the creamery property! I think it’s time to go out for a walk and stock up so I can make this recipe this weekend.
    Thanks so much for the timely post – get ‘em while you can – fresh, local, natural food.

carrian — August 24, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

Sandy, I am a huge fan of any kind of home made bread. To me it always says love and kindness. Whenever my mom would make bread she would make extras for others. I do the same thing today, and I can’t wait to make this for a few people that could use a little love.

Aggie — August 24, 2012 @ 2:11 pm

Oh I would kill to have a slice (or whole loaf) of that bread! I love blackberries…and honestly hardly ever get any because they are so expensive around here! Sometimes I can’t resist though and bring some home from Costco :)

So cute how you tagged them in FB…my sister has to avoid lactose too, will send her this!

teresa — August 24, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

Oh sweet heaven- looks divine!
    Happy day

Heather @ Heather's Dish — August 24, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

OK the berries in this, when they bake off and burst a little, are probably one of the prettiest colors EVER – such a gorgeous jewel tone! my sister is lactose-intolerant and i KNOW she would adore this bread!

Your Best Organic Recipes — August 24, 2012 @ 3:55 pm

We love this recipe, we shared it on our Facebook page!
    What a pleasure to use blackberries…

Laura — August 24, 2012 @ 10:18 pm

Well, since I just picked up a few flats of blackberries this morning from a local berry farm … blackberries are my favorite! For today, anyway :) I’ll be making this bread this weekend – looks delicious!

Rebecca {Foodie With Family} — August 26, 2012 @ 6:31 am

I could eat an entire loaf of that by myself! Brilliant as always, Sandy!

Green Valley Organics — August 28, 2012 @ 8:31 am

Hey Sandy,
    I made this last weekend! I was a little apprehensive when I realized there were no eggs, but it baked up perfectly! It made a load of bread too – two large loaves and two mini. I was able to give one to my neighbor and bring one into work yesterday. Nothing left but crumbs at the end of the day. It was so moist and delicious. It feels good to make something out of fresh local ingredients. Thanks for the recipe!

Laura — August 7, 2013 @ 11:48 pm

Looks delicious! And I love the long bread pan for a large gathering – do you remember where you got it?

1. Pingback: Day 6. Heirlooms. 30 Days of Autumn Inspirations. | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening