Boys! Fresh Blackberry Bread Just Out of the Oven! Love, Mom
So often my son has to turn down desserts because they are not cooked with lactose-free ingredients. That is until recently, as we discovered Redwood Hill Farm and Green Valley Organics products, which are now available at Whole Foods Markets and other grocery, specialty and natural food retailers nationwide.
This week I whipped up several loaves of lactose-free, blackberry whole-wheat bread, which our whole family enjoyed. I made 1 large loaf and 2 small loaves.
I grew up with blackberries. We lived on 3 acres, and early in the morning I’d head out to the blackberry bushes, near the creek, to pick for my mom’s friends. I’d get a whoppin’ $1.00 a gallon, which way back then, was a lot of money. :)
You know how sweet bread made with whole-wheat flour can be sometimes dry?
Well, not this recipe. I used Green Valley’s sour cream and their plain yogurt. Delish!
So I posted the bread on Facebook, using this lovely picture:
Boys! Fresh Blackberry Bread just out of the oven! Love, Mom
And then I tagged my two sons who were out and about with friends. :)
Here’s a little more information about their farms, which I hope to visit one day! My friend, Marla, visited Redwood Hill Farm and I think you’ll really love her recap and beautiful photography. By the way, California is not too far from Oregon! :)
They are an award-winning company, since 1968, that offers goat yogurts, kefirs and cheeses, nationwide. Each goat and cow dairy product made at Redwood Hill Farm & Creamery Inc.’s solar-powered creamery is GMO free, gluten free, kosher certified and Certified Humane Raised and Handled. The products contain no artificial flavors, sweeteners, coloring, preservatives or stabilizers. It’s all natural, wholesome goodness!
What’s your favorite “berry” to use in a bread? And do you have any “lactose-free” members in your family?
Whole Wheat Blackberry Bread
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
Total Time: 50-55 minutes
Lactose-free bread made with your favorite berries.
- 1/2 cup Green Valley Organic plain yogurt
- 1 cup Green Valley Organic sour cream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 cups soy milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 cups blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine the yogurt, sour cream, butter, honey, sugars, soy milk, and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fold in the berries and lightly mix.
- Generously spray or lightly grease bread pans. Add in the batter until 3/4 full.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on the loaf pan sizes, or until golden brown.
Here’s my Spelt Blackberry Bread recipe from last year.