Day 11. Friends. Fresh Peaches with Crème Fraîche.

Friends.

They’re like a bountiful bouquet of Autumn flowers, or a basket full of colorful leaves, or an end-of-summer bucket filled with fresh, warm-picked peaches.

The more you have, usually the more color and beauty, flavor and warmth, touches your life.

This past weekend we entertained 4 other couples. I thought I was prepared in the kitchen, but then I ran out of time.

I’ll never look like the perfect hostess because I’m not the perfect hostess. There’s always something undone … always.

So I grabbed a few of my guests when they got here, and gave them each a job.

The corn.

The squash.

The salad.

Filling the water glasses. Putting the butter and salt and pepper shakers on the table. Making sure there were 10 chairs. Candles were lit … (Ha! I just noticed the soccer ball in the picture = real life.) :)

Working side by side.

Feeling the love when hearing what can I do to help?

It made me realize how special it is to just be together, to prepare food together, that we really need each other. :)

And then, time for dessert, and a little cup of espresso.

Fresh-picked peaches, still in the orchard box. Sliced to perfection.

Late night Autumn dinners.

We sat around the table until almost midnight. We had very gracious neighbors that night, I must say.

Sharing the common life with those in our lives.

Rich conversation.

Caring and asking.

Food and love that binds us.

Friends.

Do you feel like you can give your guests a job to help you in the kitchen when you’re running behind?

If you’ve missed prior days of this series …
Day 1. Autumn. Gracious Living.
Day 2. Health. Well-Balanced Lifestyle.
Day 3. Entertaining. The Gift of Food.
Day 4. Sunshine. Lemon Bread.
Day 5. Fresh. Mini Bedroom Redux.
Day 6. Heirlooms. Yogurt Berry Parfaits.
Day 7. Harvest. Make Your Own Lasagna.
Day 8. Ambience. Atmosphere of Love.
Day 9. Simplicity. Small Gifts.
Day 10. Neighbors. Acorn Squash Basil Soup.
Day 11. Friends. Fresh Peaches with Crème Fraîche.

19 Responses to “Day 11. Friends. Fresh Peaches with Crème Fraîche.”

Aggie — September 11, 2012 @ 3:43 am

I bet your friends loved helping you in the kitchen, I would have! :) I have been enjoying a peach everyday for the past week or so, can not get enough. What an awesome fresh dessert!!

Kim — September 11, 2012 @ 4:39 am

I love this series! I absolutely feel comfortable asking for help when it’s needed, and guests are always more than happy to pitch in!

Stacey — September 11, 2012 @ 5:50 am

You know, I always try to have everything done ahead of time but I bet your friends loved helping. Friends are actually more comfortable pitching in than just sitting probably. Your peaches look wonderful!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — September 11, 2012 @ 5:59 am

Why am I not at your house right now? UGH.

bridget {bake at 350} — September 11, 2012 @ 9:11 am

Sandy….I just love your style! I think you ARE the perfect hostess. Not perfect in a show-offy way. Perfect in a relaxed, gracious, caring way. You put your guests first…and THAT is the perfect hostess.

Miss you! Love these peaches!

Carrie — September 11, 2012 @ 9:27 am

I’m not opposed to help in the kitchen but I do struggle with knowing what kind of help to ask for. So I’m going to save this post for that AND for the delicious peach recipe.

Cassie — September 11, 2012 @ 9:38 am

These look wonderful! I love sharing the kitchen with others!

Kristin Schwartz — September 11, 2012 @ 9:51 am

That was a very fun evening and you are an entertainer extraordinaire!

JulieD — September 11, 2012 @ 10:51 am

Looks so beautiful and fun, Sandy! I love fresh peaches…this just looks like the perfect dessert!

Tara @ Unsophisticook — September 11, 2012 @ 1:28 pm

Beautiful! I’ve had some of the best peaches this year…

Jen @ Savory Simple — September 11, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

Your parties look like so much fun!! I’ve been inhaling fresh peaches the past 2 weeks (I know they’re leaving me soon) and this dessert looks just spectacular. Simple perfection.

The Healthy Apple — September 11, 2012 @ 5:34 pm

Looks beautiful, Sandy! xoxo Miss you and wish we lived closer!

Aprons for Women — September 11, 2012 @ 7:16 pm

I just love the setting – it’s beautiful! And it’s a good idea to ask some of the guests to help. Many hands make light work – isn’t that what they say? I don’t think anyone minds being put in charge of a dish or two.

John — September 12, 2012 @ 5:31 am

Both great ideas! I ran the peaches under the broiler for a bit to melt the brown sugar
    and the results were great!
    Thanks,
    John

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — September 13, 2012 @ 7:03 am

Oh my…those peaches look AWESOME! I love Grand Marnier, can only imagine how wonderful this is.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — September 13, 2012 @ 8:44 pm

I always love the conversations that happen while we are cooking in the kitchen and getting ready for a party. Lovely dessert too.

1. Pingback: Day 1. Autumn. 30 Days of Autumn Inspiration. | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

2. Pingback: Day 14. Coffee. Connector with Philips Saeco and Storyville Coffee. | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

3. Pingback: Sunday Roundup 9/16/12 - Savory Simple: A Recipe Blog