No Apologizing – Laugh at Your Mistakes & Holiday Poached Pears

Most guests focus on the moment, not the mistake. If they don’t know the mistake, they will experience far more enjoyment of the meal.

Last month I hosted 12 bloggers in my home for dinner, one of the greatest joys for me in 2012. My friend, Brian, was in taking pictures of me serving the dinner plates (that was humbling … I’m such a simple, home cook!)

It reminds me of a recent tweet by my friend, Dana:

Anyone else hold their breath when they turn a Bundt cake out of its pan?

I do! I love turning a cake out of its warm surroundings!

Ooey-gooey mess
I said to Brian: Here, take a picture of me removing the cake from the pan!

I was making this delicious recipe, having made 2 cakes – 1 in a 9×13 pan and 1 in a bundt pan.

The bundt cake was not quite done, sticking to the side, all gooey inside. OOPS!

Like Dana, I was holding my breath, in anticipation … :)

Brian was SO gracious. He was cool about it all.

Here, turn the cake this way and I’ll get a photo.

Laugh, it feels good
We laughed and laughed. A few years ago I would have been mortified, embarrassed by the “mistake.”

Luckily the 9×13 cake was perfect, and the night went on. And I was able to laugh at my mistake (we were all so full we didn’t even need the bundt cake).

Don’t apologize
It’s a new mindset to tell yourself you are not going to apologize.

-Stop yourself when the thoughts first come.
-Turn them over to positive thoughts of WHY you are having people over.
-Think ahead to the good times and conversation you will be having.
-Think about how you can be blessing others.

Food is for nourishment, homes are for shelter and comfort. Give thanks for what you have–practice gratitude–as you get ready for your guests who are coming over.

It will change your attitude this holiday season!

Thanks for joining me here at RE the last 5 days … and my hope is that you’ll have a “no apologizing” holiday season!

Can you laugh at yourself if you make a culinary mistake, or is it devastating for you?

REVIEW all 5 posts and fabulous recipes:

Day 1: The Purpose of the Home, Roasted Grapes & Fresh Rosemary
Day 2: Culinary Mistakes and Beauchamp Orchard Salad
Day 3: Learning to be Authentic and Pesto Baked Potatoes
Day 4: Don’t Plan for Perfection and Crusted Pepper Prime Rib

Photos in this post by David Gibb Photography.

11 Responses to “No Apologizing – Laugh at Your Mistakes & Holiday Poached Pears”

Kim in MD — November 30, 2012 @ 6:12 am

Thanks for this series, Sandy! I plan to have a “no apologies” holiday season! In the past, I would be crushed if the cake or something else didn’t turn out, but now I’m more likely (thanks to you!) to laugh it off!

Kim in MD — November 30, 2012 @ 6:22 am

Sandy- I want to add that your words of encouragement and wisdom were in my head on Thanksgiving. Thanks for helping me lighten and up and not be so hard on myself when entertaining. I was much relaxed and had so much more fun preparing and serving my Thanksgiving meal this year!

Carol D — November 30, 2012 @ 9:34 am

Thanks for the reminder. I have turned into a “reluctant entertainer” as I have gotten older (past 60). You have encouraged me over the past year to loosen up and invite folks besides family to our home. Thanks for that. Having 50 over for a gathering next week. I am really going to try not to apologize for anything. I am also hoping to be able to enjoy the party myself. So often we are so busy trying to entertain others tat we don’t enjoy the event ourselves. Enjoy your blog so much.

By the way, the bundt cake looks yummy. What is it? Recipe, please.

Cassie | Bake Your Day — November 30, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

I had to do just that with my most recent cake in a Bundt pan (my cranberry coffee cake)! Was totally impatient and didn’t wait for it to cool enough. The poor outer appearance didn’t take away from how good it was!

Angie — November 30, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

I love pears, what a perfect recipe for entertaining!

KIRSTIN — November 30, 2012 @ 3:09 pm

I have learned to get better at laughing. Sometimes I still get frustrated but mainly because I then feel like I’ve wasted all those ingredients. But even then, I’m getting better.

Tara @ Unsophisticook — December 1, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

I just love your attitude, Sandy!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — December 3, 2012 @ 8:37 am

Mistakes?!?! What mistakes? (Double Wink)

I need to loosen up this time of year–timely message.

Samantha — June 28, 2014 @ 11:39 am

About how long does it take the pears to cook? Also, how long will these store for in the refrigerator? Great recipe! Plan to make these today :-)

Samantha — June 28, 2014 @ 11:44 am

Oops, just saw that it say cook time is about 10 mins hehe ;-)

1. Pingback: A Few of My Favorite {Red} Things | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening