Bringing Fresh Fruit to a Holiday Gathering

It’s always a bittersweet time of year for us, the beginning of December, when soccer ends for my husband (Varsity Coach) and it’s time for the end-of-year party.

After all, he spends 4 solid months with these young men, devoting many hours developing their soccer skills and coaching them through the game.

We hosted the party in our home this year, with a dessert potluck. (A peek in our home with all the shoes that came off.)

“Desserts” took the “stress” off of us with busy schedules – and this time of year it’s an easy option.

My friend Cynthia came with a healthy approach – a beautiful tray of fresh fruit.

I love her display – it wasn’t brought in a plastic bag, but whole fruit, ready to slice and serve.

I since followed her idea when we went to a party.

Snipping a few lemon tree branches …

Adding a remnant of ribbon.

Then tying it up.

Sometimes it’s all about a pretty presentation. :)

So out the door – to the next party with a “healthy” spin on desserts.

I recently brought cookies to a party, adding in cherries and blackberries.

It actually makes me feel better when I’m bringing fruit. And I think people love the versatility.

What do you think about bringing fresh fruit to a “dessert party?”

17 Responses to “Bringing Fresh Fruit to a Holiday Gathering”

Lynn Kellan — December 12, 2012 @ 4:51 am

I think we can never go wrong with fresh fruit! The leftovers can be tomorrow’s healthy snack.

Kim in MD — December 12, 2012 @ 5:28 am

I think bringing fresh fruit to a dessert party is a great idea, especially when it’s so beautifully presented wrapped with a ribbon!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — December 12, 2012 @ 6:43 am

I love the idea!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — December 12, 2012 @ 7:27 am

Such a lovely host gift! Great idea Sandy.

Heather @ Heather's Dish — December 12, 2012 @ 9:05 am

I’ve found that beautiful and healthy trays of fruit are usually one of the first things to go – I just about died when I saw those gorgeous cherries!

Jessie — December 12, 2012 @ 9:14 am

I love this! I love a treat as much as the next person, but having a healthier option keeps me honest. I’m usually the one to bring fresh veggies to a potluck. Fruit to a dessert party is perfect!

teresa — December 12, 2012 @ 9:15 am

Awesome idea. I’m always looking for something other than candy to share.
    Thanks

Aggie — December 12, 2012 @ 10:13 am

Absolutely love this idea Sandy! I love bringing fresh fruit to parties…and I really do believe people appreciate it!

Dana @ Cooking at Cafe D — December 12, 2012 @ 11:16 am

I like the idea of bringing fresh fruit. For me, presentation would be key. A nice basket or tray with a bow as you suggested.

I wouldn’t want the person to feel that I skimped out by “just bringing fruit.” (A really nice selection of fruit will offset this, I think.)

Most dessert parties end with the hostess packing up most of the treats so they head out of the door. With fresh fruit, I bet that stays behind to be enjoyed :)

Cathy @ Noble Pig — December 12, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

It’s a great idea and a welcome break from all the chocolate!!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — December 12, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

I think fruit is the perfect addition to a dessert party…it’s always nice to have a little something fresh & healthy!

Kristina — December 12, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

SO funny you say this… I think it is a fantastic idea! just a few days ago I was preparing a large dessert tray to bring to a party – and at the last minute I looked at it and added a bunch of cuties oranges and tangerines to it! :)

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — December 12, 2012 @ 7:15 pm

Perfect in my opinion! Beautiful too!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — December 12, 2012 @ 10:02 pm

I love having fresh fruit as part of any gathering. It’s usually a “must” for me. What a gorgeous tray of fruit!

Tara @ Unsophisticook — December 15, 2012 @ 10:41 pm

Lovely idea. I know I’d be so thrilled to see a platter of fresh fruit at a gathering!

http://www.freshnfood.com/ — January 24, 2013 @ 12:35 am

Siddhi Industries are Manufacturers of Fresh Fruits, Spices Exporters, Suppliers of Fresh Vegetables, Animal Feed, Cereals and Grains, Multani Mitti, Snacks Suppliers, Dairy Products, Rice, Pickles and Papad in India.

1. Pingback: A Few of My Favorite {Red} Things | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening