DIY Narnia Holiday Door for Holiday Photos & Cards

Narnia Holiday Door … A peek into the lives of our many friends and family members during the month of December.

Today I’m sharing with you an easy DIY project to display your holiday photos and cards. How many of us stash these precious photos, cards, letters … into a pretty box, in a drawer, or hang them on the fridge?

My easy repurposed Narnia Holiday Door is easy to create; but first, where do you find such a door?

Last summer when my friend, Hoppi, was leaving town and holding a yard sale, I snagged her black door she had repurposed as a headboard for a twin bed (cute idea).

An old painted door for only $10. What a fun bargain.

Places to find old doors:
-Thrift stores
-Salvage yards
-Habitat for Humanity
-eBay
-Craig’s List
-Flea Markets
-Estate sales
-Yard sales
-Dwell’s Lost and Found Map

We’ve joked about this door sitting in our home–What’s behind the door?–the door that didn’t really lead anywhere.

It made us think of the magical door in Narnia, though ours was just used for decor.

For the holidays I moved the door to a new space, to help create my new idea on how to display our holidays cards this year. :)

Added wire across the bottom – perfect for cards.

Used 2-sided tape to start attaching the holiday photos to the door.

In the next few weeks this repurposed door will be completely filled with our friends and families beautiful holiday cards.

Narnia Holiday Door.

A magical time for all.

Now if we could just walk through the door and all be together for one big party.

One day, I think we will …

How do you display your Holiday photos and cards from friends and family each year?

If you’re on Instagram, I’d love for you to join me there! (SandyCoughlinRE)

18 Responses to “DIY Narnia Holiday Door for Holiday Photos & Cards”

Tara G. — December 10, 2012 @ 6:22 am

I love it!! When I was single, a family in my church built a new home; they had an old armoire they built into the foyer. When you pushed the coats aside, you could crawl through and go up the hidden stairs to a playroom- it was awesome! :)

I think I have 3 cards in a basket right now. I need to get some ribbon so I can at least hang them up!

Debbie @ The Hip Hostess — December 10, 2012 @ 8:22 am

What a great idea! I love the door just as decor, but now it’s functional too! Nice!

penelope — December 10, 2012 @ 8:45 am

I like your idea! We do something different about each year. Last year it was a bunch of twigs that we used little red clothes pin to attach them to, another year we wrapped a big pillar in our house with ribbon and used it. Another year we wrapped to closet door that housed our new (very expensive) HVAC system (our present) and then taped the cards to it.
    This year it’s a skinny/scrawny Christmas tree with some lights and the ornaments wil be the cards and pictures.

KIRSTIN — December 10, 2012 @ 9:02 am

What a great idea! I often use a basket for cards, or try and find a fun place to hang them. Love your idea!

Heather @ Heather's Dish — December 10, 2012 @ 9:08 am

Such a fun idea! We normally put all of our cards on our mantle, although this year we’re hanging them up on a fun garland on our wall!

Angie — December 10, 2012 @ 11:46 am

So cute! We use to have lots of louvered doors in our townhouse, and I always hung them on the louvered door to the laundry (they were big double doors) in the kitchen. And now in the new house, I haven’t a clue where to put them. Maybe in the formal room somewhere, or I could make maybe a louvered door room divider, that would be cute.

Kristen — December 10, 2012 @ 1:48 pm

What a fantastic idea. I love old everything, especially doors!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — December 10, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

Such a great idea. going to hint at my hubs!

Kristina — December 10, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

I am beginning to get a stack of holiday cards going already, I was just wondering today what to do with them… now I just need a door! :)

Cindy in PA — December 11, 2012 @ 4:53 am

I have faux garland on our stair bannisters and after reading and sharing the cards with Wonderful Husband, I tie each one along to the garland with a red ribbon. It really keeps me in a festive mood throughout December, and yes also through the end of January. :)

Kim in MD — December 11, 2012 @ 5:28 am

I love this idea and the black door!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — December 11, 2012 @ 5:35 am

Such a great idea, Sandy!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — December 11, 2012 @ 6:18 am

I always want to do crafty things like this, but never get around to it. Maybe that should be my New Year Resolution–be crafty!!

Tara @ Unsophisticook — December 11, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

Such a creative idea — love it, Sandy!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — December 12, 2012 @ 9:28 pm

I have a “thing” for old doors, and am loving this idea. Totally FUN!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — December 16, 2012 @ 6:30 am

This is so clever, I love it!

tessa — December 24, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

Instead of double stick tape you could also repaint the door using magnetic primer under what ever color paint you would like. that way you can just use magnets to attach to door.

top carpet cleaners — May 28, 2013 @ 9:12 am

Hi there! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice
    from an established blog. Is it hard to set up your own blog?
    I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about setting up my own but
    I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any points or suggestions? Appreciate it