Tasty Watermelon Bites Served as an Amuse Bouche

Watermelon, Blue Cheese & Proscuitto Wrap Drizzled with Honey

Do you buy watermelon in January?

Living in Oregon, I don’t think I’ve ever bought a watermelon in the month of January. But I’ve pleasantly learned that watermelon is 92% water, so you can feel good about filling up while eating it, as it hydrates while satiating your appetite. In addition, most people overlook watermelon in the winter months (that’s me!), but it is available year-round, typically as a mini-watermelon or in the pre-cut section of your produce aisle.

Loaded with vitamins A, B6 and C, watermelon is a healthy choice any time of year.

The other day I bought 2 small seedless watermelons to make a simple amuse bouche for our guests.

What is an amuse bouche, you might ask? It’s basically a French fancy name for a “tasty bite,” or small hors d’oeuvre, which is served right before the main course. Some may call it a “tingle for the taste bud.”

Another whimsical description would be to have your mouth “amused” with a bite, before starting your meal. Isn’t that fun?

Here’s what makes it different than an appetizer: They are not ordered from a menu, but are solely served at the chef’s discretion (sometimes accompanied by a complementing wine).

We have a local restaurant in Ashland (Oregon), called Amuse, where they serve an “amuse bouche,” presented to each guest at the start of the meal. It’s really fun–always a surprise–to see what the Chef has up his “culinary” sleeve. Not a lot of restaurants will do this. It’s a classy touch, in my opinion.

Here are more facts I’ve learned about watermelon: Watermelon is both a fruit and a vegetable, and it is the state vegetable of Oklahoma.

How to make amuse bouches for a dinner party:

-Use colorful fresh ingredients.
-Make ONE small, powerful yet delicate bite for each guest.
-Combine flavors that will make your guests’ taste buds sing!
-Try to present it in a way that is simple, yet special, using a small plate, glass, or even a spoon.
-Surprise your guests. Don’t let them know ahead of time that it’s coming!

In my case, I took a small piece of powerful cheese, Rogue Creamery’s Oregon Blue, and wrapped it with prosciutto around a small square of watermelon.

I added a few drops of honey, and lightly salted each “bite” with Kosher Salt. Many times watermelon is served with salt, so this combination is delicious!

And how did my guests describe the taste? A surprise “blast” of watermelony goodness.

They loved the watermelon blue cheese proscuitto wrap drizzled with honey.

Oh, and for serving you can serve on a platter, too, if you’re asked to bring an appetizer to the next party you attend!

Have you ever served amuse bouches at a dinner party? And do you buy watermelon during the winter months?

This post is sponsored by The National Watermelon Promotion Board, in partnership with the January Progressive Party on Kitchen PLAY. I was paid for the post but as always, all opinions are my own.

Join Kitchen PLAY, the National Watermelon Promotion Board and some of your favorite food bloggers for a Twitter Party on January 22 at 7 PM ET where we’ll be chatting about this tasty, nutritious and versatile fruit, and testing our watermelon knowledge.  You’ll also be eligible to win great watermelon prizes, so RSVP for the Twitter Party here!

Also, beginning today, read all 6 posts at Kitchen PLAY sponsored by Watermelon for clues. Each post contains an “watermelon fact” that may appear as a trivia question during the Twitter Party.

Tuesday, January 22

7:00 PM EST / 4:00 PST

Follow the hashtag #All4Watermelon

23 Responses to “Tasty Watermelon Bites Served as an Amuse Bouche”

Heather @ Heather's Dish — January 7, 2013 @ 8:09 am

I’ve never had a watermelon when it’s cold outside! Although I have to admit, I never crave it in the summer months, but it sounds pretty awesome right about now ;)

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — January 7, 2013 @ 8:32 am

Beautiful and the flavors are wonderful.

Denise — January 7, 2013 @ 9:59 am

Well, thank you. I learned something new today. I had never heard of amuse bouche before. I’m going to try at my next dinner party.

Shari | Tickled Red — January 7, 2013 @ 1:41 pm

Watermelon in the winter? For us absolutely! Gabe (youngest) would not talk to me otherwise, he’s a watermelon hog. This recipe looks divine! By the Amuse sounds like the place to go, wish we had something similar here. xoxo

• Sandy replied: — January 8th, 2013 @ 12:14 pm

Shari, come to Ashland and dine with us! Anytime! :)

Aggie — January 7, 2013 @ 3:17 pm

I could eat watermelon any time of year. As a matter of fact, we were at Universal the other day and I picked up a huge container of cut up melon, the watermelon was my most favorite – I can never get enough of it and it got me through my first pregnancy :)

What a beautiful spread Sandy – I never do anything different with watermelon, I love the sweet and salty going on here!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — January 7, 2013 @ 6:08 pm

I will definitely eat watermelon all year long if cheese is involved. I love this!

Silvergirl — January 7, 2013 @ 6:33 pm

this looks absolutely delish
    brett

Amy Tong — January 7, 2013 @ 7:02 pm

Great post and recipe. I do buy water all year-round (because my kids ask for them all the time). I guess I’m lucky to be living in CA. The watermelons here are always bright and sweet, even in January. :P

• Sandy replied: — January 8th, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

Hi, Amy … awww, California! The home of fresh fruits and vegetables. :) I’m longing for summer already … :)

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — January 7, 2013 @ 8:46 pm

What a fun and tasty bite! I love watermelon and I do buy it sometimes in the winter. I didn’t know it was the state vegetable in Oklahoma, now I’m missing Oklahoma and the fabulous watermelons that grow there!

• Sandy replied: — January 8th, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

Millisa, I did not know, either. I loved learning NEW facts about this lovely fruit (vegetable) :)

Shaina — January 7, 2013 @ 10:34 pm

SO simply and yet the perfect balance of flavors. I can’t wait to try this.

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — January 8, 2013 @ 6:27 am

Oooo, what a poppy combination! Love it. :)

Kim in MD — January 8, 2013 @ 9:23 am

I have never bought watermelon in the winter months, but I do love it all summer long! I can just imagine how delicious this combination of flavors is- juicy, sweet, salty,..YUM!

• Sandy replied: — January 8th, 2013 @ 12:07 pm

Delicious, indeed. Let me know if you try it, Kim!

Angie — January 8, 2013 @ 11:10 am

My son was trying to get me to get a watermelon yesterday, I should have, this would have been a perfect way to serve it!

• Sandy replied: — January 8th, 2013 @ 11:26 am

It’s a little strong (blue cheese) for the kids, but adults love the “punch!”

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — January 9, 2013 @ 10:04 am

And WHY don’t I buy watermelon in January?! I am craving all things juicy and sweet lately. Now adding watermelon to the grocery list! And I still have some of that same beautiful blue cheese left from Harry and David…perfect!!

Tara @ Unsophisticook — January 9, 2013 @ 10:51 am

My daughter just asked if we could buy a watermelon when we were at the store the other day, and I said no, because they’re out of season. Maybe I need to reconsider!

1. Pingback: Grilled Cake Donuts with Berries + 4th of July Menu with Iowa Girl Eats! | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

2. Pingback: Mom’s Classic Potato Salad + 4th of July Menu with the Reluctant Entertainer! | Iowa Girl Eats

3. Pingback: Watermelon Feta Salad - Garnish with Lemon | Garnish with Lemon