Love Grows Our Families & Salted Caramel Butter Frosting

In the month of February, I can’t help but think about love.

The love of God. The love from my husband, my kids, my family and friends.

Take that love, combine it with food and a table –any kind of table–and you get “the family table.”

Food + Love + Table = Connection

As I look back over the years, I see that our family times around the table were key to the closeness we have today.

Even if a spontaneous meal, many times around the table is where we had our heart-to-heart talks.

Dinner time has changed for us over the last few years, as our sons are in college now – so the few meals we do have together are cherished times.

When everyone’s home, it’s still one of our favorite things to do. (Last weekend we were all together and I made this cake – YUM!)

We pull an imperfect meal together.

Family style or buffet style–always casual–and we gather.

And then afterwards, usually with dessert, we sit and talk – sometimes for hours.

It’s really the love–learned and lived out as we all grow and change –that meets our greatest needs.

It’s what grows our family.

We love you. You matter. We care.

The month of February I’d love to read on your site about “your table experience,” or just email me, with an intentional food + family experience around your table.

Oh, and you may want to try this Salted Caramel Butter Frosting the next time you make a chocolate cake!

I really believe the more we share the importance of this act, and encourage one another, the stronger our families in America will become.

When’s the last time you had a meal together as a family where you talked about important things, and everyone hung around?

(The above pedestal is from MacKenzie Childs, from their Courtly Check collection. I’ll be sharing more about their pieces in future posts.)

Are you following me on Instagram?

11 Responses to “Love Grows Our Families & Salted Caramel Butter Frosting”

Kim in MD — February 18, 2013 @ 5:49 am

The frosting looks delicious, Sandy! I think eating dinner together.is very important and it has always been a priority in my family. I cook almost every night, and we relax as we eat and discuss our day!

LoveFeast Table — February 18, 2013 @ 8:14 am

LoveFeast Table was birthed from that whole equation. And there’s nothing wrong with salted caramel anything!
    ~Kristin

Heather @ Heather's Dish — February 18, 2013 @ 8:29 am

I think I’ll just sit around the table with my family, a bunch of spoons and a bowl of this frosting – talk about love ;)

Kristina — February 18, 2013 @ 8:31 am

when my whole family gets together, it is often around the dinner table – we have FUN. we are that loud and happy large group at the restaurant, we are the fun group who gathers in the kitchen and in our back yards in the summertime for grilling…

salted caramel is one of my favorite things… this frosting sounds fabulous!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — February 18, 2013 @ 1:42 pm

I couldn’t agree more with this! We try to make it a point to sit down at the table for our meals together. We pray before we eat and (most of the time) put away phones to have a chance to really connect. It’s SO important!!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — February 18, 2013 @ 8:03 pm

We make a huge point of eating together and talking. It is so important. And that frosting looks wonderful and I LOVE that fun cake stand!

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — February 18, 2013 @ 8:49 pm

Eating together is one of the most important times in our family lives. Love this frosting it looks perfect with that chocolate cake.

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — February 19, 2013 @ 6:00 am

Sweet friend, that frosting sounds HEAVENLY. I can think of all sorts of things to shmear it on.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — February 19, 2013 @ 8:21 am

We eat together every night and I am sure I will be looking to you for advice as my oldest son heads off to college this fall. Love this cake, I mean love it!

Paula - bell'alimento — February 19, 2013 @ 6:37 pm

We eat together almost every night. It’s important : ) And salted caramel is never a bad thing.

Angie — February 21, 2013 @ 9:58 am

This salted caramel frosting looks so good!