How to Serve Your Family on Valentine’s Day with Cherry Crunch Dessert

Each day is a precious gift. How ridiculous to grasp for future gifts when today’s is set before you! Receive today’s gift gratefully, unwrapping it tenderly, and delving into its depths. – Sarah Young

I love this quote from Sarah Young, which tells me that today is precious. A gift. With something special inside. For everyone!

Which makes me think of the gifts that I’ve been given, with the people in my life of family and friends.

Years ago, my husband and I read the book, The Five Love Languages, by Gary Chapman. Have you read this book? Gary writes how most everyone has a primary way to love – to show love or a way they prefer to be shown love.

The ideas are brilliant, and can really help you understand people, family members, your spouse … but what I loved most was figuring out my kids’ love languages.

-Physical touch
-Words of affirmation
-Acts of service
-Quality time
-Receiving gifts

Life becomes easier to figure out when you understand yourself, your spouse, your kids. A lot of this goes hand-in-hand with our personalities, too.

One of my love languages is acts of service, because I love cooking for people. But honestly, I can see where over time, I appreciate all 5 of the languages.

My friend Kristen (her blog is Dine and Dish) reminded me this week, as I was coming up with Valentine’s Day ideas, of her lovely way of serving her family on Valentine’s Day:

I love Kristen’s heart and love for her family!

For many years this is what my husband and I would do, too. We’d make the Valentine’s Day meal fun, exciting, using our good linens and dishes and goblets.

Those kind of entertaining moments–even with just our kiddos–I really do miss. :)

So keeping our precious gifts of family in mind, today I’d like to share a recipe–a family recipe from my oldest sis, Di–a perfect dessert for Valentine’s Day.

It’s sweet, red, and your family will love you.

It’s an easy one, where you can always keep the ingredients on hand, and it’s good enough for company!

What do you think about for Valentine’s Day serving each “guest” (your kids) this dessert in a wine or water goblet?

Here’s a tip: To toast the nuts, lay them on a paper towel; cook in the microwave for 1 minute. Rearrange the nuts and cook 1 more minute. Cool and chop!

Enjoy!

Do you have plans to cook at home for Valentine’s Day this year?

21 Responses to “How to Serve Your Family on Valentine’s Day with Cherry Crunch Dessert”

Darla — February 5, 2013 @ 7:14 am

This sounds and looks perfect for a Valentine’s Day meal. I think you could probably bake it in individual ramekins too. That way it could be served warm with the scoop of ice cream. Oh boy!

Darla

Kim in MD — February 5, 2013 @ 7:48 am

The dessert looks delicious! I always prepare a special dinner for my husband and children on Valentine’s Day. I pull out my sparkly beaded placemats, red goblets and lots of candles!

Kristina — February 5, 2013 @ 8:14 am

I LOVE the love languages. I love Valentines Day. I love fun desserts like this.

this year Jason and I are going out (we do every year, we both love Valentines Day…), but I usually also make a special dinner for us, a day or two later. Last year I surprised him with a four course dinner – that was fun to pull off.

Kristen — February 5, 2013 @ 8:45 am

My kids look so forward to this night and Nick and I do too. It’s probably one of my favorite traditions of the year.
    LOVE this dessert!

Richella Parham — February 5, 2013 @ 8:48 am

YUM! This dessert looks wonderful and just right for Valentine’s Day. I’m pinning it to my Valentine’s Day board.

And I really appreciate the idea of expressing love to our families in just the ways that will best communicate our love so that they can receive. :)

Jen @ Savory Simple — February 5, 2013 @ 8:56 am

Such a wonderful quote! And I just love this dessert. How wonderful for Valentine’s Day.

Cassie | Bake Your Day — February 5, 2013 @ 10:26 am

My mom has always made a cake like this and I love it!

Laura — February 5, 2013 @ 10:29 am

We always do fondue for Valentine’s Day, but due to activities Thursday we’re doing that dinner Saturday night instead. We’re still doing a nice dinner for Valentine’s Day – and that dessert would be great with it! Looks doable on a busy night – thanks!

Carrie — February 5, 2013 @ 11:12 am

This recipe looks delicious and uncomplicated, which i love! We will definitely have a kid-friendly celebration. :) I have only read The 5 Love Languages for Children, but was just thinking what a profound effect it had on my parenting (even as I parent my “inner child”). <3

Shari Kelley — February 5, 2013 @ 11:27 am

We have always done a family dinner, too. I usually made a heart shaped cake. On each plate I would put a card, and that person’s favorite candy treat underneath the card. I also really like the love languages books. They really make you think about how best to show love to someone.

Kirstin — February 5, 2013 @ 11:53 am

what great ideas! I’m not sure quite what we’re doing to V-day, but I am thinking maybe a special dinner for the fam!

Aggie — February 5, 2013 @ 12:02 pm

We started doing this too a few years ago when my in laws were living with us temporarily. We played “italian restaurant” for our Valentines dinner, played Italian music on Pandora while I made dinner, kids dipped fruit into chocolate for our dessert. We set the table up nice…it was so fun. I look forward to it every year!

I love this cherry dessert, oh my it looks so good Sandy!!

Heather @ Heather's Dish — February 5, 2013 @ 12:03 pm

First of all, this dessert is LITERALLY one of my favorite things ever. We’ll go ahead and call cherry crunch dessert my love language ;)

Second, I really love what Kristen said about serving her family – those are the things her kids will remember forever, and what a cool way to live out the Gospel!

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — February 5, 2013 @ 1:38 pm

What a fabulous cherry dessert and it’s so simple, I love that!

Jodee — February 5, 2013 @ 2:53 pm

I used to make this dessert often but I add a can of drained crushed pineapple to the cherries. So easy and soooo yummy! Thanks for reminding me of this!

Paula - bell'alimento — February 5, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

you had me at cherry…

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — February 5, 2013 @ 9:24 pm

I absolutely love Valentine’s Day. But we haven’t talked about what we might do yet. I’ll be putting it out for a vote shortly. And that dessert? Yum! Definitely looks like something different that I need to try!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — February 6, 2013 @ 8:46 am

I’m a hard-core quality time girl. Almost don’t need the others at all.

This looks delish!!

Angie — February 8, 2013 @ 8:47 am

It looks so good! Can’t wait to try the recipe!

Shaina — February 21, 2013 @ 4:45 pm

Love languages are so important, and this dessert is wonderful for whipping up and enjoying any night of the week.

antidepressants safe during pregnancy — June 5, 2013 @ 5:57 am

This will get rid of the built up odours and leave everything clean and smelling fresh.

Also be aware that any indoor pet, such as a cat or dog, may want to
    drink from your pond and then find himself a healthy
    treat in the process. One popular bathroom
    fixture today that many interior decorators and home owners use is
    a shower bath.