Celebrating Mother’s Day and Basic Risotto Recipe

_DSC1726

It’s Mother’s Day this Sunday! So today I’m going to tell you why I love my step-Mom, Ginny, and share with you a basic Risotto recipe.

It’s actually not complicated. I love Ginny because she’s one of the most giving, loving, dedicated women I know. She’s very easy to love.

She’s a God+People Lover.
She loves my Dad.
And she loves my Dad’s family – US!

When my mom left this world, it left such a hole in my heart. You know, the kind that you never think will be filled with that kind of love again.

It’s true, Ginny is not my mom, but she is a substitute mom. She understands me, our family, our needs. She’s a nurse, volunteer, mother, grandmother, seamstress, amazing hostess, loves to read and sing (beautifully), loves her family and … did I say it? She loves us as if we were hers.

Besides of all those wonderful things, I think she is beautiful.

Basic Risotto | Reluctant Entertainer

And she loves to cook. She belongs to a Recipe Club with her girlfriends and daughter. Fun!

Today I’m sharing a delicious Risotto recipe that I served with this incredible Pork Chops with Glazed Apricots recipe.

Most of you who’ve read RE for a long period of time know that I love white dishes! So it only makes sense, that I grabbed one of my white platters to serve the food on.

Basic Risotto | Reluctant Entertainer

The food was amazing. The company was great. Oh, and did you know that in Italy, a simple, plain risotto is often served as a first course or side dish to compliment a main course meat dish? I served it alongside the pork chops, but thought you’d enjoy that little tidbit, incase you’ve never been to Italy. I haven’t, but hope to one day!

Back to Ginny. Even though I think of my mom when I’m around Ginny, they are good thoughts. Not of replacement or anger, but of love and thankfulness.

Do you have a substitute mom in your life that you love? Or, what’s your favorite way to serve risotto?

Click over for the Pork Chops with Glazed Apricots recipe.

Basic Risotto | Reluctant Entertainer

12 Responses to “Celebrating Mother’s Day and Basic Risotto Recipe”

Kathi — May 8, 2013 @ 7:34 am

What a beautiful tribute to your step-mom!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — May 8, 2013 @ 8:35 am

Risotto is one of my favorites…to eat & to cook! What a fun post, friend!

jamie @ green beans & grapefruit — May 8, 2013 @ 8:47 am

This is the sweetest post, Sandy! The risotto looks awesome.

kelley {mountain mama cooks} — May 8, 2013 @ 10:08 am

What a sweet story, Sandy! Ginny is just as lucky to have YOU in her life! xoxo

Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective — May 8, 2013 @ 10:59 am

Delicious risotto recipe, Sandy!

Lynne M — May 9, 2013 @ 6:20 am

You wrote a great tribute for your loved one. The basic risotto recipe is a good idea to prepare while celebrating the Mother’s Day. The Pork Chops with Glazed Apricots recipe certainly a perfect match for the risotto dish as this complements the dish a lot better. I just want to know if it is okay to use ordinary rice, if the Arborio or Carnaroli rice is not available?

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — May 9, 2013 @ 8:32 am

What a beautiful tribute to your step-mom!

Aggie — May 9, 2013 @ 8:42 am

Oh your words about Ginny just totally warmed my heart Sandy!!! What a beautiful woman!! I love that she’s in a recipe club with her daughter and friends, really love that, sounds so fun!

I never make risotto!! I’m so mad at myself that I haven’t tried (I tried with brown rice once as an experiment – fail!). I have to give the real deal a go, I know my whole family will just love it. This looks amazing!

Angie — May 9, 2013 @ 9:15 am

What a beautiful picture! And I love the recipe, great way to show mom you love her!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — May 10, 2013 @ 6:53 am

I know how special your mom was to you, and how very much you miss her. What a lovely tribute to 2 beautiful moms in your life.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — May 11, 2013 @ 7:29 am

Sandy, you are such a beautiful person! Not everyone can make room in their hearts for “substitute parents”. I have been lucky to be close to my Mother-in-law as well as my own Mother and feel very fortunate. Happy Mother’s Day Sandy!

Val — June 7, 2013 @ 7:22 am

Yes, this is the traditional Italian recipe for risotto…well done! :-)
    Have you ever tried it with saffron? It’s also called Milanese Risotto…