Recipes for Chicken Burritos and How to Freeze

Chicken Quinoa Burritos

I wrote a post about freezing burritos years ago, but decided it was time to update it, using quinoa instead of rice! With it being summertime, with lots of kids over, they’re always looking for an easy healthy snack. Our kids are always looking for recipes for chicken burritos, so this time I made up a huge bowl of a chicken and quinoa mixture, and made 36 burritos to freeze. Doubling the recipe is easy, too!

Best move for the summer, as a mom! :)

Our oldest took a huge bag up to college, and the remaining are now gone. Time to make some more!

How to cook quinoa
The best way to cook quinoa is in a rice cooker. My recipe is for every cup of quinoa, you add 1 1/2 cups of liquid. And to take it a step further, for a Mexican flavor, I always add salsa and season the mixture before I cook it on the “BROWN RICE” setting.

Easy, peasy!

How to make the burritos
When the quinoa is finished, I add ONE LARGE rotisserie chicken, pulled and chopped, and 2 more cups of salsa. Season to taste.

Heat up the tortillas, add a smidgen of sour cream, about 1 cup of the mixture, and sprinkle with cheese.

Chicken Quinoa Burritos

Wrap up the burritos in plastic wrap and FREEZE.

How to serve the burritos
When it’s time to eat, heat up in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.

Top with cheese, more sour cream, guacamole, cilantro or your favorite toppings and ENJOY!

We love Trader Joe’s corn salsa, which adds a zip to the burrito.

1. Prepare. Make a huge bowl of meat and quinoa, and add beans to make it stretch.

2. Assemble. Get the kids in the kitchen and give everyone a job. Make, roll, wrap.

3. Freeze. Our bottom freezer is full of about 60 burritos. The kids know that, at any time they can pop one in the microwave for ONE MINUTE and they have a healthy snack.

Quiona is full of protein, so this is a snack that I feel great feeding to my kids and their friends. It also saves a ton of money, rather than buying frozen burritos at the store, plus, I know exactly what is going in to the burritos.

What kind of money-saving snack do you prepare and freeze in advance for your family?

11 Responses to “Recipes for Chicken Burritos and How to Freeze”

Cookin Canuck — July 16, 2013 @ 6:28 am

This is absolutely brilliant, Sandy! I love the idea of having a quick, easy snack waiting in the freezer.

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig — July 16, 2013 @ 6:55 am

This is a brilliant idea!! I love the idea of the quinoa instead of rice. I am always making frozen burritos so this makes me so happy!

Trisha — July 16, 2013 @ 7:52 am

What an awesome idea using quinoa! Love the freezer instructions, so much better than going through a drive thru.

Heather — July 16, 2013 @ 8:02 am

I just started making frozen burritos a couple weeks ago and they are a LIFESAVER! Not to mention a money saver since I don’t have to go out when we don’t have leftovers for lunch ;)

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — July 16, 2013 @ 8:07 am

I love replacing rice with quinoa! Just started doing it within the past year and it’s so, so good! I need to get some of these made and into the freezer!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — July 16, 2013 @ 8:59 am

Um, this is a life savor! Whoa baby! I can’t wait to whip this up!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — July 16, 2013 @ 10:05 am

Freezer burritos are my favorite, it’s my go to meal when I’m feeling a bit lazy but want something yummy and filling!

Nessa — July 16, 2013 @ 12:22 pm

Quinoa os such a great sub for rice! Great post, Sandy :)

The Healthy Apple — July 19, 2013 @ 2:39 pm

These look great, Sandy. We love making burritos. Hope you are having a fabulous summer.
    xoxxoox

Tricia — April 24, 2014 @ 6:46 am

How many cups of quinoa do you make? And, do you add 1.5 cups of liquid PLUS salsa, or is the salsa included in the 1.5 cups of total liquid? (Sorry, I’m new to quinoa!) thanks for the great recipe, I plan to make a bunch this weekend!

1. Pingback: Bush's Black Bean Burrito with Cheese & Summer Squash | Reluctant Entertainer