DIY Canvas Drop Cloth Tablecloth for Christmas Entertaining

DIY Canvas Drop Cloth Tablecloth

One of the most creative things we’ve done over the holidays was create a fun environment for our “little guests” around the table. This included using a Canvas Drop Cloth Tablecloth that both kids and adults could write on.

Such a simple, inexpensive idea, and perfect for the Christmas weeks ahead if you’re entertaining kids!

You start out with a perfectly clean cloth, and by the end of the evening, it’s full of words, pictures, sayings …

Don’t forget to set out the Sharpie markers, thinking of a color scheme to make it Christmas-y. I chose red, gray, and brown.

Where to buy Canvas Drop Cloths:

– 5×5 for $7.98

– 6×9 for $10.98

– Last year for this party, I bought 2 for $19.99 at our local Home Depot. Lowe’s also carries them.

When the kids start writing and coloring, it usually brings out the youthfulness in us older ones!

The love and fun that we had together, sitting around munching on sweets, sharing stories, Christmas music (our favorite Charlie Brown Christmas) playing in the background was a memory our family will cherish.

DIY Canvas Drop Cloth Tablecloth

How to reuse the tablecloth:
-Pull it out and reuse next year. Continue writing on the cloth.
-Wrap it up and present it to the family who joined you for the meal.
-Take parts of the cloth you love and frame it.
-Make pillows using the words or pictures.
-Flip the cloth over and reuse it for another party!

DIY Canvas Drop Cloth Tablecloth

This year I’ll be wrapping up the cloth and sending it to our friends who joined us for Thanksgiving. It’s full of their 3 little kids art work and writing, a keepsake for sure for years to come!

They can either use it as a memory tablecloth, or add to the design with a fresh set of Sharpie pens and a little more pizazz, with their kids one year older for Christmas 2014.

DIY Canvas Drop Cloth Tablecloth

Who would have thought we could have so much fun and create great memories using a simple drop cloth?

What are your favorite ways to include kids around a holiday table?

15 Responses to “DIY Canvas Drop Cloth Tablecloth for Christmas Entertaining”

Heather @ new house, new home, new life — December 11, 2013 @ 8:30 am

Love this idea!!! May have to use it this weekend when we have our big family dinner!! Thanks

and Merry Christmas

Kirstin — December 11, 2013 @ 8:58 am

What a great idea! I love it.

Barb @ A Life in Balance — December 11, 2013 @ 9:04 am

We’re celebrating my daughter’s birthday with family on December 22nd. I’m doing a Rainbow Loom theme. I could put out a drop cloth tablecloth on the table in the kitchen with a bunch of colorful sharpies and invite everyone to decorate the tablecloth. It would make a great memento to use at our family birthday parties.

Barbara — December 11, 2013 @ 9:04 am

What a wonderful idea! I have 9 grandchildren who live very far away and we aren’t able to get together very often. This is a great idea for making memories when do visit together.

Your blog continues to be inspiring and fun. I see it every day even though I haven’t commented in some time.

Merry Christmas!

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered — December 11, 2013 @ 10:50 am

I absolutely love this idea!! I like how you just choose three simple colors. Less is more!!

I’m thinking about doing this as a Hospitality/Guest Table cloth… for our dining table. Maybe for over the course of the new year .

Speaking of! I have a question for you, Sandy – Whatever happened to Guest Books? Does anyone still use them, these day? Do you? OR, is that an outdated thing – by now.

What are your thoughts?

Shaina — December 11, 2013 @ 11:15 am

This is such a great idea for the kids’ table. I love it!

vallimasoos — December 11, 2013 @ 2:01 pm

Love the idea with sharpies. I heard of people embroidering the drawings/writing to really preserve the memories!
    }}}I need to learn how to embroider{{{

But for NOW… SHARPIES it is!!

Cindy K — December 11, 2013 @ 5:54 pm

About 20 years ago I started one on a plain white tablecloth. I used it for several years and it is full (of signature and memories.) Many of the guests who signed that are no longer with us. I cherish it.

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — December 11, 2013 @ 8:01 pm

What a fun idea Sandy! The ids would love this. :)

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — December 11, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

What a fun idea Sandy! The kids would love this. :)

Tieghan — December 12, 2013 @ 8:11 am

Such a fun idea!! My younger sister would LOVE this! And hey, I think I would too! :)

Aggie — December 12, 2013 @ 9:09 am

Oh I love that you are sending it to your friends, they will cherish it!! What a great idea!!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — December 13, 2013 @ 7:16 am

What a fun and super special tablecloth. My kids would be all over this!!

1. Pingback: Freedom at Christmas: 10 Simple Ideas Under $10 | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

2. Pingback: Makes Cloth Your Canvas