Kale BLT Salad and Small Group Living
Impromptu gatherings are fun, and this easy Kale BLT Salad recipe is a delicous dish to serve guests!
I think of a very old term that still warms my heart: Small Group Living.
We experienced this recently over a simple dinner party with another couple, with one of the recipes I made, a Kale BLT Salad. Yum and yum!
I would say Small Group Living is relaxing with your friends and family in your own private world.
It’s coming together and catching up with people that you feel connected to. Sometimes over a simple or quick meal, sometimes just a short visit. Sometimes a glass of wine out by the fire, or like we’ve been doing every Sunday night, going to our friends’ to watch Downton Abbey!
Many times entertaining can end up being impromptu, as in last-minute get-togethers. It’s where everyone contributes and pitches in, and the table is cleared by all. Often friends will start doing dishes at the end of the evening, but the conversation still continues–from the kitchen out to the front door.
As guests are leaving, my husband Paul will often say: Come back when you can’t stay as long.
Funny man. :)
This has been a routine of our 23-year marriage as guests leave our home. It’s the Coughlin way of telling our friends, We had a great time, in a rather humerous way.
To me, this is the essence of small group entertaining: Sharing the common life with friends and family that we so much love.
2 Tips to Impromptu Salad Making:
1. I always keep on hand Trader Joe’s “Fresh cut and ready” (4.5 oz) diced onions, garlic, and shallots. This little container will save your “bacon” (no pun intended – Kale BLT?) every time!
2. When you need a quick-fix salad dressing, drizzle Delallo’s 100% Italian Extra Light Olive Oil and Golden Balsamic Vinegar on your salad. That’s ALL you need! I promise!
Entertaining is easy when you don’t complicate the cooking.
BLT Kale Salad recipe.
I knew I had a bag of kale, bacon in the freezer, and put it all together to make the most delicious, warm Kale BLT Salad for our guests!
When’s the last time you had a simple impromptu gathering?
Kale BLT Salad Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Best if olive oil and vinegar is massaged into the leaves and left to sit for about 20-30 minutes to soften the kale before serving.
- 1 10 oz. bag Tuscan Curly Kale
- 1 pound bacon, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- Onions, garlic, shallots (about 3/4 cup - I use Trader Joe's "fresh, cut, and ready")
- 1 cups heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup spicy pecans (I buy Trader Joe's)
- Olive oil
- Golden Balsamic Vinegar
- Cook the bacon pieces until crisp; place on a paper towel to drain. Pour the grease in a separate jar or container (or toss), leaving about 2-3 T. of bacon grease in the pan. Add the onions, garlic, and shallots mixture. Cook until soft and clear, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove kale from the bag placing in the serving salad bowl. Add the warm onion mixture. Toss and set aside for 20-30 minutes to soften the leaves.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, bacon, and pecans to the salad bowl; toss.
- Drizzle with olive oil and golden balsamic vinegar; serve.
DeLallo Foods sent me their products, but I was not compensated for this post. I love cooking with their foods, but as always; all opinions are my own.