DIY Granola Valentine’s Gift Idea from Monster Cakes

granola

Happy month-0-love, friends! Jessica from Monster Cakes here to share a healthy DIY Valentine’s Day gift idea – Homemade Granola with “nutty” gift tags!

I love chocolate just like the next girl (probably more), but sometimes I get overwhelmed by the amount of sweets I receive on holidays like Valentine’s Day, especially after I just made a resolution to eat better the month before! So this Valentine idea is for all you health nuts, granola-fans, and people who just want to surprise their friends with something homemade this year.

granola2

Step 1:

Make your favorite homemade granola recipe (I included my personal recipe below, but I love Sandy’s quinoa granola too!).

granola3

Step 2:

Fill individual gift bags or jars with granola. If you plan on spreading the love to a lot of people, then use smaller bags or jars so you have enough granola to go around.

granolavalentine1

Step 3:

Decorate containers with fun Valentine’s Day cards / gift tags. I like incorporating the word “nutty” in my Valentine when gifting granola, so here are some silly ideas (click here to download a free printable of my “nutty” tags):

“I’m nutty about you!”
“I like you, you nut!”
“You drive me nutty!”

You can also write your granola recipe on the back of the card / tag to double the surprise.

granolavalentine2

granolavalentine4

What’s your favorite Valentine’s homemade gift to give instead of giving sweets?

Monster Cakes Granola Recipe

• 1/2 C brown sugar
  • 1/2 C pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 C water
  • 1/4 C oil
  • 1/2 C dried cranberries

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees, and line 1-2 baking sheets with foil / parchment paper.
  2. Mix dry ingredients in large bowl, leaving cranberries aside for later. Mix wet ingredients in separate bowl, then add to dry ingredients, mixing well.
  3. Spread evently on baking sheet(s),and bake for 40 minutes, stir, and bake for an additional 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
  4. Remove and add cranberries once granola is cooled. Store in airtight container.

12 Responses to “DIY Granola Valentine’s Gift Idea from Monster Cakes”

Aggie — February 5, 2014 @ 10:51 am

What a fun post! I love love love homemade granola (nothing like it!) and this packaging idea is so cute. What a sweet valentines gift!

• Sandy Coughlin replied: — February 5th, 2014 @ 10:38 pm

Thanks Aggie, Cheryl, and Jen!

TidyMom — February 5, 2014 @ 11:12 am

This looks delicious!! I’m always looking for granola recipes to add to my yogurt!! love the printables too!

Jen @ Cuddles and Chaos — February 5, 2014 @ 11:21 am

This is so cute! Love the packaging!

I’m a huge fan of homemade granola. I’m going to have to try this one!

kirstin — February 5, 2014 @ 12:19 pm

I love this idea! And the jars are super cute! I’ll admit I haven’t often given away homemade gifts for V-Day. One year at Christmas a friend of ours gave us a tin of homemade granola though and I remember thinking, what a fun idea! Homemade, healthy and from the heart.

• Sandy Coughlin replied: — February 5th, 2014 @ 10:38 pm

That’s a great idea, too, Kirstin! I have several tins lying around … :)

Deborah Spagnuolo — February 5, 2014 @ 12:34 pm

A great idea! My valentine loves granola. What a great idea to make some homemade!

Jamie — February 5, 2014 @ 10:07 pm

Thank you SO much for sharing this idea. I have these 3 metal Valentine tins that I always fill up for my kids on Valentines Day. I have always made cookies. But this is exactly what I’m going to do this year – granola!!! I have never made homemade granola. What a great idea, I wouldve never thought ot it, definitely a perfect alternative to cookies. Thank you again for the idea (and clever tags!).

• Sandy Coughlin replied: — February 5th, 2014 @ 10:37 pm

You are welcome, Jamie! I love Jess’s idea, too!

• Jessica Zigenis replied: — February 6th, 2014 @ 8:09 am

Yey! So glad you like it! I know your kids will gobble it up too. : )

Tieghan — February 5, 2014 @ 10:23 pm

Such a fun and delicious idea! Too cute!

Paula – bell’alimento — February 8, 2014 @ 5:06 pm

Cute idea & I love the gift tags too!