Lemon Poppyseed Bread
This Lemon Poppyseed Bread is a delightful spring or Easter gift to give, or bake to enjoy warm out of the oven!
Friends, I’m in love with Meyer Lemons. Are you? Lemons remind me of spring, brightness, delicious scents, tantalizing flavors, and friendship. In fact, when I buy Meyer Lemons at Costco, I like to share a few with a friend.
Over the weekend, I made one of our favorite Lemon Poppyseed recipes, and we ended up giving a few loaves away.
Since we’re trying to keep sweets out of the house, except for special occasions, it’s good to enjoy a few bites, and then share with others. Right?
The sun was shining in on our lovely home last week.
The table was set. (Peony collection dishes from Q Squared NYC.)
We enjoyed a meal with good friends.
I went to bed that night thinking about the lyrics to Amy Grant’s song, Better Than A Hallelujah. This phrase has been on my mind for weeks:
We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful, the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah
Honestly, this is why we gather with food and good talk. We share, we become vulnerable, we open our hearts around the table.
When we do this, it not only changes us, it changes those around us.
I truly believe that sometimes more spiritual work happens at dinner time, with intention, pure hearts, and humble spirits, than happens in any church service.
I sent a loaf of this Lemon Poppyseed Bread home with our friend, but here’s the menu we served, a delicious Sunday Supper:
Roasted Strawberries Brie appetizer
When’s the last time you had really good conversation around your table with friends?
Lemon Poppyseed Bread
Yield: 1 large loaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Perfect for an Easter gathering, or to give away to neighbors or friends, these mini-cakes are delicious and fresh-made with Meyer Lemons.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- Lemon Glaze: 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat all ingredients for 2 minutes. Pour the batter into four small loaf pans or a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Bake for one hour. The top will crack.
- For the glaze, cook lemon juice and sugar together until sugar melts. Do not boil. Remove from heat. Stir in extracts. While cake is hot, poke holes in each loaf with a fork, and spoon glaze over the top and let it set for at least 20 minutes before removing it from the pan.