Cauliflower White Cheddar Cheese Soup
This Cauliflower White Cheddar Cheese Soup can be pureed to an either creamy or chunkier-style soup!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 1 medium head cauliflower trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable for Vegetarian, plus more if desired
- 5 1/2 ounces sharp white cheddar grated (1 1/2 cups) (I use Tillamook)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Cilantro chopped (optional)
In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 minutes. Add cauliflower and cook until just beginning to brown, for 12 minutes.
Add broth and 1 cup water; bring to a boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower is very tender, 20 minutes. Allow to slightly cool.
In several batches, fill a blender (I use a VitaMix) halfway with mixture and puree until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids).
Return pureed soup to the original pot, and add more broth or water if you want a thinner consistency.
Heat over medium until warmed through; add cheese and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with cayenne.
Garnish with cilantro (optional), and serve!