Sausage Cabbage Vegetable Soup
This French-peasant soup is delicious, served with crunchy bread for a “soup night” dinner!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr 20 mins
Total Time1 hr 40 mins
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. Italian sausage I used Aidells pre-cooked
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 2-3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 small head green cabbage thinly slices (about 10 cups)
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- Fresh ground pepper
- Fresh Parmesan cheese
Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add onion and cook for 4-5 minutes; add garlic, stir and cook for additional minute.
Add the sausage and cook for 5-7 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the carrots and celery; cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the cabbage; cook until starting to wilt, about 2 minutes.
Continue to stir and add the broth, wine, and tomatoes. Add the fresh rosemary and thyme. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for up to 1 hour.
Serve with fresh Parmesan cheese and fresh ground pepper.