Easy Turkey Tetrazzini
A breadcrumb topping goes perfectly with this light casserole, which combines turkey, noodles, peas, and mushrooms.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time55 mins
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 8 Tbsp. butter melted, divided
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- Minced zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more for seasoning
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 cups Baby Portabella mushrooms sliced
- 3 cups cooked turkey cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12 oz. frozen peas thawed, drained
- 4 cups homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
- 6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese I use Tillamook
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme or 2 tsp. dried
- Ground pepper
- 16 oz. Fusilli pasta or your favorite noodles, I use DeLallo
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, lemon, and 3 Tbsp. butter. Season with salt; set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, toss 1 Tbsp. butter with onion, mushrooms, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover; cook 3 minutes. Remove lid; cook, stirring, 3 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl; add turkey and peas.
In same pan, whisk stock, remaining 4 Tbsp. butter, and flour. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Whisk until thick, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice, thyme, and cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Combine sauce, turkey, and noodles in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; top with breadcrumbs. Bake until golden and bubbling, 25 minutes. Serve warm.