Swiss Chard and White Bean Soup
A bowl of comofort with Swiss chard, beans, potatoes, tomatoes, and an egg on top! From Cooking Light December 2014.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper divided
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable stock such as Kitchen Basics
- 2 cups water
- 8 ounces Yukon gold potatoes diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 cups chopped Swiss chard
- 1 15-ounce can Bush’s cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 4 large eggs optional
1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 6 minutes. Stir in rind, rosemary, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 1 minute. Stir in stock, 2 cups water, and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in chard and beans; simmer 10 minutes. Stir in cherry tomatoes.
2. Fill a skillet two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer. Add vinegar. Break each egg into a custard cup, and pour each gently into pan; cook 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Carefully remove eggs from pan using a slotted spoon. Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 4 bowls; top with a poached egg. Sprinkle with remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper.