When’s the last time you invited someone over for a bowl of soup? This Creamy Broccoli Soup recipe is perfect to make for a lunch date.
• 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling
• 1 medium yellow onion, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
• 4 cups vegetable broth
• 1 head broccoli, trimmed and chopped (6 cups)
• 3 cups baby spinach
• 1 avocado, chopped, plus more for garnish
• Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add broccoli and cook, covered, until bright green and tender, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, stir in spinach, and let cool slightly.
Transfer soup to blender and puree with avocado. Adjust seasoning. Garnish with avocado and a drizzle of olive oil.
Refrigerate soup in an airtight container up to 3 days.