Salted Caramel Apple Cake
Adapted from Family Circle, October 2014
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 15 mins
- 6 Tbsp. cold butter
- 1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 5 Golden Delicious apples cored, peeled, each cut into 8 wedges (or a tarter flavor if you prefer)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour you can also use all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. apple pie spice from McCormick’s but you can use nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup whipping cream + 2-3 Tbsp. maple syrup for topping optional
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter the bottom of a 10-inch round cake pan with 4 tbsp. butter; sprinkle with 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar and the sea salt. (Optional to use parchment paper.)
Heat remaining 2 tbsp. cold butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add apples and sauté for 13 minutes, until soft.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, spices, baking powder, and salt. Add in the butter, 1 cup of dark brown sugar, eggs, whipping cream and vanilla. Beat until smooth for about 2 minutes.
Fan apples over bottom of prepared pan. Spread batter on top of apples. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
Run a small knife around pan edge. Place a serving plate on top of the pan and turn plate and pan over together. Carefully remove pan. If any apples remain in the pan, place them on the cake.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Optional to whip 1 cup of whipping cream (add 2-3 Tbsp. maple syrup after whipped); serve on top!