Salted Caramel Brownies
Use a sharp scissors to cut the caramels. Substitute brownie mix for scratch brownies to save time. I didn’t add salt to the recipe (because of salt on top).
9 oz. Werther’s Original Chewy Caramels, unwrapped, divided
good-quality unsweetened chocolate
6 oz. unsalted butter
kosher salt plus ¼ tsp. to sprinkle over batter
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 13–inch baking pan with parchment paper or greased aluminum foil. Cut 24 caramels into small pieces; reserve remaining caramels.
2. Microwave chocolate and butter in a medium-sized, microwave-safe bowl, on HIGH for 1 minute or until melted, stirring after 30 seconds.
3. Stir in the sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla and stir until thoroughly incorporated. Stir in the flour and ½ tsp. salt until combined.
4. Fold in the cut caramel pieces.
5. Pour the batter into the pan and spread with knife to level it. Bake for 25 minutes, or until brownies are set, and just begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
6. Let cool ½ hour. Meanwhile, microwave remaining caramels with 1 tsp. water. Drizzle over tops of brownies and sprinkle with remaining ¼ tsp. salt. Cool completely, then cut to serve.
Did you make this recipe?
on Instagram and hashtag it
Reluctant Entertainer - Salted Caramel Brownies