Salted Caramel Brownies
This most may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Salted Caramel Brownies are made with Werther’s Original Chewy Caramels, every bite a delicious treat!
Friends, this is a sweet post to share today, because it involves my son, who’s living with us (a real gift for his dad and me), while completing a “scribe” position at a local medical facility, before his next venture of medical school.
We’re so proud of this kid, our oldest, who not only loves what he does, but he’s also a very hospitable person. I don’t know the people that he works with, but I bet they would say the same thing about Elliot. He has the gift of making others feel warm and welcome, in pretty much any environment.
Elliot told me he wanted to make a dessert and bring it in to his co-workers, so of course I was all over that one!
Together we got busy in the kitchen!
I’m not sure if you grew up with Werther’s caramels as a kid, but I sure did. Candy-maker Gustav Nebel first introduced his delicious, iconic caramel recipe in 1909, in the small European village of Werther, Germany. And even today, they are a family tradition handed down through generations, and used in some pretty delicious recipes.
While Elliot was unwrapping the chewy caramels, one by one to add to this recipe, we were talking about how these little candies are made with the best ingredients — real butter, fresh cream, white and brown sugars, a pinch of salt and a lot of time.
I promised him that this addition to the brownies (real caramel chunks), was going to make a big difference in the recipe. And then, the caramel drizzle on top, with chunks of salt.
Elliot was telling me what he has learned from me, about hospitality, while we were cleaning up the kitchen. I quickly grabbed my pen and wrote down his tips, because I thought a 24-year old perspective would be fun to share.
Easy entertaining tips
1. Be prepared: Do what you can the day before, like get your shopping done, make desserts, chop or cook any ingredients for the entrees, and set the table.
2. Extra fridge: Keep the drinks chilled in an extra fridge, with plenty of Pellegrino water.
3. Relax an hour before company comes: Be free to get last-minute things done, but ultimately be done with the chores and chill and relax, so you can really enjoy the guests.
From the mouths of babes.
I couldn’t agree more!
Salted Caramel Brownies
Now, for my next party, these Salted Caramel Brownies will be on the menu, served with a premium vanilla ice cream.
By the way, these Werther’s Original Soft Caramels are the newest addition to Werther’s. Thus the softer side, with the rich, smooth taste, bakes very well in desserts.
All varieties of Werther’s Originals are available in grocery stores and at retailers nationwide, in several varieties, from hard, chewy, soft and filled caramels, to sugar-free caramels and even caramel popcorn.
In the meantime, I wrapped the parchment-lined brownies (I left them in the 9×13 size) in foil, and sent them to work with Elliot to share with his co-workers.
I hope that they LOVED them.
Baked by Elliot!
Salted Caramel Brownies
- 1 pkg., 9 oz. Werther’s Original Chewy Caramels, unwrapped, divided
- 4 oz. good-quality unsweetened chocolate
- 1 ½ sticks, 6 oz. unsalted butter
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. kosher salt plus ¼ tsp. to sprinkle over batter
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 13–inch baking pan with parchment paper or greased aluminum foil. Cut 24 caramels into small pieces; reserve remaining caramels.
- 2. Microwave chocolate and butter in a medium-sized, microwave-safe bowl, on HIGH for 1 minute or until melted, stirring after 30 seconds.
- 3. Stir in the sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla and stir until thoroughly incorporated. Stir in the flour and ½ tsp. salt until combined.
- 4. Fold in the cut caramel pieces.
- 5. Pour the batter into the pan and spread with knife to level it. Bake for 25 minutes, or until brownies are set, and just begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- 6. Let cool ½ hour. Meanwhile, microwave remaining caramels with 1 tsp. water. Drizzle over tops of brownies and sprinkle with remaining ¼ tsp. salt. Cool completely, then cut to serve.
For more information, visit Werther’s on Facebook at Werther’s Original US.
This post is sponsored by Werther’s Original, but as always, all opinions are my own!
More chocolate treats on RE:
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.