Chicken Rice Soup
I love to take leftover chicken and rice from a previous meal, and save the ingredients to make this soup recipe the next day. Excellent with turkey instead of chicken, and it’s okay to use frozen corn!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 4 carrots sliced (don’t need to peel)
- 4 stalks celery sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 4 corn cobs cooked, cut off the cob (about 1 1/2 cups of corn – frozen corn also works)
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken chopped (rotisserie chicken is fast!)
- 1 cup fresh dill chopped
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 2 cups brown basmati rice or your favorite kind of rice, cooked
In a large frying pan or braiser, heat the oil on medium-high and add the onions. Cook for about 2 minutes, adding the carrots and celery. Cook and stir for another 3-4 minutes, adding the chicken stock and thyme. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes.
While the vegetables and stock are simmering, boil the corn for about 6 minutes; cool and cut off the cob. Set aside.
Add the chicken, corn, fresh dill, salt, pepper, and cooked rice. Gently stir, bring to boil; simmer for 5 minutes.