Whole Wheat Asparagus and Bacon Wraps
You can use whole wheat or white sandwich bread! Deliious appetizer for asparagus and chives season!
- 16 fresh asparagus, trimmed (bottoms snapped off)
- 16 slices whole wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 1 package, 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
In a large saucepan, blanch the asparagus by filling with 1/2 inch of water and bring to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes.
Drain and immediately place asparagus in a large bowl filled with ice and water. Leave for about 5 minutes; drain and pat dry. Set aside.
Flatten the slices of bread with a rolling pin.
Combine the cream cheese, bacon and chives; spread 1 tablespoonful on each slice of bread.
Top with an asparagus spear. Roll up tightly; place seam side down on a greased baking sheet.
Brush the roll-ups with butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Cut roll-ups in half. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.