Thanks for joining me in my “30 Days of Summer Entertaining” series. (Scroll down to the bottom for the previous posts in this series) :)

Appetizers for summer entertaining are so easy.

All you need is fresh fruit, cheese, and nuts. You can mix and match according to what’s in season.

Nuts to keep on-hand:
Walnuts
Pecans
Pistachios
Almonds

Cheeses to keep on-hand:
Goat cheese
Dubliner Cheese
Your favorite flavor of cheese (preferences can really vary)

My sisters and I were heading out to a near-by restaurant for a birthday celebration, but they came to my house an hour early, so I whipped up an easy appetizer. What did I have on hand? Fruit, nuts, cheese.

But more importantly, I really love sister-time. It’s just really good to talk and catch up on life. I’m very grateful for these two beautiful women in my life.

Now on to summer-entertaining and my oh-so-easy appetizer. It’s light and easy, fresh and beautiful.

Apricots and Goat Cheese Bites
(Makes about 20 bites. I always double the recipe.)

2 oz. goat cheese at room temperature
1 tsp. milk or cream
20 dried apricots (preferably from Trader Joe’s for the best flavor and tartness)
20 almonds
1-2 tsp. honey

Mix together the cheese and the milk to make it spreadable.

Toast almonds in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.

Lay the apricots on a platter or tray with a small amount of cheese on each piece.

Top with one warm almond on each apricot.

Drizzle with honey.

If you’re taking to a party, wait until you get to the party to drizzle the honey. I made the mistake of drizzling ahead of time and they got a bit soggy.

The tanginess-to-sweetness is a perfect combination.

My sisters and I munched on a few of these before we headed out.

Have I told you how much I love sister time? :)

What’s your favorite fruit/cheese/nut combination for an appetizer?

If you’ve missed the last 12 days of this series, you can catch up now:

Day 1: Summer Entertaining is About the People
Day 2: When Perfect Robs You of Something Good
Day 3: Who To Invite to Dinner
Day 4: Planning the Menu for Outdoor Entertaining
Day 5: Setting the Table Using What You Have
Day 6: Using One Classic Water Glass
Day 7: Napkin Options for Summer Entertaining
Day 8: When You Feel Like Canceling the Party
Day 9: Leave Your Technology at the Front Door
Day 10: Candles That Enhance Good Conversation
Day 11: Serving Flavored Herb and Fruit Water
Day 12: Leafy Greens and a Tiny Bit of Agave

Feel free to grab my button and share it with your readers :).

30 days of Summer Entertaining

20 Responses to “Day 13: Keeping Fruits, Nuts, and Cheeses on Hand for Apricot & Goat Cheese Bites”

brie. — June 13, 2011 @ 1:55 am

oh my word – those ‘bites’ look incredible…i’d probably eat the entire tray!

• Kirstin replied: — June 15th, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

Me too! I thought the same thing…I’d just eat them all!!

Emily — June 13, 2011 @ 3:40 am

I especially love slices of extra-sharp or pepper-jack cheese on fun crackers, served with clusters of grapes!

lisa — June 13, 2011 @ 5:04 am

What a special time with your sisters!

Brie, cranberries and pecans.

Maria — June 13, 2011 @ 7:07 am

Great party appetizer! You are all gorgeous!

Sheila — June 13, 2011 @ 9:37 am

I love sister time too! You and your sissa’s are lovely!

Kristin — June 13, 2011 @ 9:38 am

Oh Sandy! How divine! These are some of my favorite things separately, I’ll bet magic happens when they’re all combined :-). Thanks for sharing this easy, and perfect-to-keep-on-hand idea!

christy — June 13, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Mmmmmm, that looks so good! I love fruit and cheese. Not picky and love to try new things. This is definitely on the list for our next one! I wish we had a Trader Joes. I read about so many wonderful things from there.

Donna O. — June 13, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

Great idea! I’m definitely going to make it.
    One of our fav’s is a wedge of havarti cut into 3 or 4 thin wedges fanned out on a pretty plate.
    Combine lime marmalade with a few drops of tabasco & warm it in the microwave just a little till softened. Drizzle it over the havarti. Sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts (or other nuts) & chopped cilantro. Garnish with lime wedges & cilantro sprigs. Serve with crackers.

• Kirstin replied: — June 15th, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

That sounds amazing

Aggie — June 13, 2011 @ 6:43 pm

What a great idea for a quick spread Sandy! I usually have this on hand, I have to remember this next time a last minute get together “happens” (my favorite kind)

Love the pic of you and your sisters! You are beautiful women!

Carrie — June 13, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

Yum! I have everything I need to make these lovely looking apps. – even the Trader Joe’s dried apricots (our favorite!). Thanks for this lovely 30 Days of Summer Entertaining, it’s so full of wonderful information.

gina — June 14, 2011 @ 7:31 am

Those sound yummy! Can’t wait to try. Made the Pineapple/Black Bean Salsa I found on your site last summer and it’s a hit every time!

Kristy — June 14, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

This sounds delicious! Definitely picking up goat cheese to try it!

Kate — June 15, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

I made these last night for tonight’s dinner guests, I tried one and they are delicious. I love goat cheese and it’s a great complement to the apricots, the almond is just a wonderful, salty bonus. Yum! Thanks for this quick and easy idea, I can’t wait to serve them.

By the way I’ll be linking back to your site, I hope that’s okay. Thanks again!

Kirstin — June 15, 2011 @ 4:08 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever served an appetizer with fruit, nuts and cheese, but this one looks like a winner

Kristy — August 29, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

I made this for a double baby shower which we also invited all the husbands and children to. It was complete wonderful chaos. And the HUSBANDS loved this and cleaned the platter! I was thrilled! Thanks for the recipe!

Recipes — December 3, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

I do consider all the ideas you’ve offered to your post. They’re really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too quick for beginners. May you please prolong them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

1. Pingback: hmp: small plates (part one)

2. Pingback: Entertaining Essentials for Sweat-Free Summer Gatherings | Share Holiday Stories & Find Gift Basket Ideas from Hickory Farms