Old-Fashioned Peach Cobbler

How in the world does our garage get so messy? Your family is probably a lot like ours, very active and busy in the summer months. The boys went backpacking, we’ve been camping, we set up our ping-pong table, in the midst of freezers, laundry, canning supplies, tools, bikes … you name it.

One of the things I came across in my garage a few weeks ago were my Mom’s handwritten recipes. Boy, did that bring back a flood of memories, to see her handwriting. I could almost feel her presence, standing there in the garage …

And then I saw her easy peach cobbler recipe, the one in which she’d substitute whatever fruit was in season.

We always had fresh fruit in the house growing up. Sometimes we went to the orchards to pick, or sometimes Mom would buy already-picked fruit. Mom was a big canner. You name it, it went into the canning jars.

Our friends came for a spontaneous dinner party last week, and just like Mom, it only took minutes for me to prepare her cobbler and place in the oven.

Since beautiful peach season is here, I hope you enjoy my Mom’s old-fashioned recipe from years past.

What’s your favorite kind of cobbler to make?

23 Responses to “Old-Fashioned Peach Cobbler”

Tara G. @ Mrs. Yellow Hat — August 15, 2011 @ 2:47 am

I just made peach cobbler yesterday! And I actually had a quart of American ice cream on hand- delicious!! I have a great recipe for peach and pecan pie which I like better than the cobbler, but I won’t turn down a fresh peach dessert! :)

Lynn from For Love or Funny — August 15, 2011 @ 3:32 am

I’ve got to say that the peaches are perfectly ripe right now, so this would be a delicious way to enjoy them!

Kate M — August 15, 2011 @ 3:45 am

That’s basically the recipe I use, and that peach cobbler is one of my favorite things on earth! I skip the step of adding sugar to the fruit. Just slice the peaches and throw ‘em in! I also add almond extract and less cinnamon.

Bev Weidner — August 15, 2011 @ 6:43 am

Soo gorgeous! I need to stop slamming my head into the computer screen. I look crazy.

ellen b — August 15, 2011 @ 8:04 am

This looks like my kind of recipe. I might have to try it with the rest of my apples…

Jennifer — August 15, 2011 @ 9:43 am

Such a simple, but delicious treat! Peach cobbler is one of the highlights of summer for me as the fresh peaches are rolling in. Have you ever tried peach dumplins? We made them over the weekend and they were fabulous as well as easy.

Kristin — August 15, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

So glad you posted this today! My husband JUST requested a Peach Cobbler this week, and I don’t have a recipe for it.- Always love yours though, and so will probably be giving it a try :-) Blog Warming starts today – wish me luck!

Curt — August 15, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

Mom’s recipe is always the best! No matter who’s mom it is.

I haven’t had fresh peach cobbler since I lived in Texas. I copied your recipe and will be trying it real soon.

Thanks!

Andrea — August 15, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

Thanks for sharing! I love a good peach cobbler – will hopefully get to make “yours” this week! Could you give us an idea of how many whole peaches are needed for 6 cups cut up peaches? Thanks
    I enjoy your blog – it is helping me with our entertaining :)

Kristin S — August 15, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

I made this identical delish recipe yesterday. Found it as Paula Deen’s Peach Cobbler recipe on foodnetwork.com. YUM! Did they know each other? :-)

Barefeet In The Kitchen — August 15, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

I adore peach cobbler. It is one of my favorite fruit desserts.

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) — August 15, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

As a Georgia girl from the Peach State, this has my name written all of it! :) Thanks for the recipe!

Kathy — August 15, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

Love anything peach….I will have to try your mom’s recipe. I know how you feel when you see your mom’s hand written recipes. I cherish them now that she is gone and can almost bring myself back to her kitchen with the smells, tastes and wonderful conversations around the table.

teresa — August 15, 2011 @ 10:49 pm

Sandy~
    This looks divine!
    YUM!
    Pinning this recipe of course.
    xo
    Hugs sweet girl.

Jen S. — August 16, 2011 @ 8:42 am

Thanks so much for sharing this! I just happened to pick up some fresh peaches yesterday at a local produce stand and came home to your recipe for peach cobbler! I made it today and it is DIVINE! This recipe is a keeper for sure…and what a great legacy of cooking your mom passed down to you! Thanks again! :)

Elen — August 16, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

I just caught up reading feeds this morning and saw this recipe. Sprinted to the store for self-rising flour, which they call “self-raising” here, which made me think of Peter Pan for some reason. I digress. It’s in the oven this evening! My kitchen smells divine. Well, I love peach cobbler. Sometimes, I make a peach and blueberry combo. I love blackberry cobbler, too!

Kym — August 16, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

I made this recipe tonight and served it with ice cream – it was a big hit! This recipe is definitely a keeper! Thank you!

Kirstin — August 16, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

I love peach and blackberry, and I am totally going to make this

Amy | She Wears Many Hats — August 17, 2011 @ 6:33 am

It’s hard to beat peach. I made peach and blueberry one last week that was mighty tasty!

Leigh Anne — August 19, 2011 @ 6:35 pm

I have a batch baking the oven right now….looks & smells delish! I made a few modifications to what I had on hand. I cooked the peaches with brown sugar just cuz I LOVE brown sugar & peaches! Also, I didn’t have self-rising flour, but found a sub in a quick google search: 3/4 c. all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt. Just double it for this recipe. Also added a sprinkle of cinnamon to the batter just for good measure :) Thanks so much for sharing……love those passed down recipes!

Eleanor — August 20, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

Oh, I love peach cobbler. I use a very similar recipe and I have discovered that it is also delicious using blueberrries, or apples. And it goes together so much faster that pie

Julie Todd — October 21, 2012 @ 3:33 pm

Hey Sandy,
    Hope all is well in your world. I’m swamped with wedding plans. My daughter marries in 12 days…. my son 4 weeks later. Needless to say we are filled to overflowing with details.

My future son-in-law has requested peach cobbler at the reception so I want to deliver. I had seen this recipe here on your site several weeks ago. So here’s my dilema. There are NO fresh peaches in season here. My options are frozen sliced peaces or canned. I am thinking frozen would be better but don’t know … what would you do if it were you?

I want them to taste as close to fresh as possible.

Please email me at godsprincess1980@gmail and give me your advice!

Thanks Sandy!