Double Up the Cooking with Butternut Mushroom Bread Pudding

I enjoy doubling up on my cooking from time to time, as I’ve written about it on RE, to have something to share with others, especially if I know they could really use a home-cooked meal.

A few weeks ago a reader shared her “ah-ha moment,” when she realized how easy it can be:

I never used to do this because I was so afraid that the recipient may not like my cooking. Also, I wasn’t sure how common it was to do, as I had never received a meal myself. I had a lot of doubt about the whole process. Then one day, years ago, when my son had a minor operation, a good friend showed up at my door with a lasagna within hours of us arriving home from the hospital. I was so surprised. How sweet of her. After that experience, I decided I would give it a try and hope for the best. So far, so good, and everyone I have shared a meal with is always happy to receive it. I realized it was just a matter of a leap of faith to get the whole process of neighborly hospitality going and to put all my self doubt to rest.

How many of us spend wasted energy when it comes to our thought life. I say put those bad thoughts away and decide to do something awesome for someone.

I want to share this amazing “vegetarian” meal that I cooked my family last week. Because this is the week before Thanksgiving, I think it’s easy to make, put in the fridge, and pull out when you’re ready to bake and have a hot meal. And I love anything that involves butternut squash!

It’s even good enough to double-up on and take to another family!

I love this month of being thankful and thinking of others.

Have you had the “ah-ha moment” of realizing how easy it is to double up on cooking and share it with others?

You can make this up like a breakfast casserole the night before, pull out of the fridge, uncover and bake! Easy peasy! Oh, and I added cranberries and my husband I voted “yes” to cranberries, but my kids said, “no!” That’s why they are optional … Enjoy!

7 Responses to “Double Up the Cooking with Butternut Mushroom Bread Pudding”

Bev Weidner — November 17, 2011 @ 6:41 am

Hooooly. I would double up on this recipe just to able to stick more inside my head. I.LOVE.THIS.

Ann from Sumptuous Spoonfuls — November 17, 2011 @ 8:30 am

This looks absolutely fantastic, with or without cranberries!

Aggie — November 17, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

Oh Sandy this looks SO good!!

When I had my daughter a neighbor came by with lemon chicken, rice & salad. I was shocked & ever so grateful. That was the first time someone had brought my family dinner like that & I will never forget it.

Melinda Stanton — November 17, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

I tried the once a month all in one day cooking but found it much easier to double or triple recipes as I go. I just have to be careful not to forget about them in the freezer! My AHA moment came from being on the receiving end– I had knee surgery and my Sunday school sisters brought meals for about 2 weeks- after I went back to work. I realized, that going back work takes a tremendous toll on a body, so even if someone seems well, they will still appreciate a meal! This really helped my “I’m too late to take anything” perfectionist freak to be quiet.

Carrie — November 18, 2011 @ 11:07 am

I made this last night for a baby shower…. it was the best thing there!!!! Great recipe Sandy~

Jan Udlock — November 17, 2012 @ 9:55 am

Sandy, it looks so yummy. How do you cut butternut squash? I haven’t been able to cut it up in such uniform pieces. And can you use a different cheese?

Thanks for such a beautiful recipe.

j

1. Pingback: Cranberry Hazelnut Bread Recipe - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening