How to Boil the Perfect Egg & Delicious Deviled Egg Recipes

Perfect Boiled Egg

Thank for joining my RE Friday Round-Up! Just in time for Easter and last-minute entertaining, I’m sharing my simple technique to boiling the perfect egg. You know, the egg that actually peels perfectly?

And then, of course, I’m linking to some fantastic recipes that you may want to try for Easter that involve eggs (deviled eggs) or leftover eggs (egg salad varieties) – Yum :)

I’ve tried all sorts of methods to boiling an egg, but I always come back to this one. (Recipe below.)

How to Boil the Perfect Egg

Good luck with your eggs. I plan on making one of the recipes below plus one more appetizer for our Easter Celebration. Which, by the way, Aggie’s Kitchen has a round-up for last-minute appetizers for Easter Sunday on her blog today :)

Basic Deviled Egg Recipe from Pinch my Salt

Deviled Eggs with Prosciutto from Pixelated Crumb

Deviled Eggs Supreme from Miss in the Kitchen

Sautéed Mediterranean Deviled Eggs from A Farmgirl’s Dabbles

Bacon Balsamic Deviled Eggs from Recipe Girl

Avocado Egg Salad from The Pioneer Woman

Bush’s Black Bean Tex-Mex Deviled Eggs – my blog, last Easter

Creamy Egg Salad with Capers from Aggie’s Kitchen

Egg Salad with Bacon from Add a Pinch

Classic Egg Salad from Brown Eyed Baker

Avocado Spinach Egg Salad from We are not Martha

Edamame Egg Salad from Spabettie

Do you have Deviled Eggs on your Easter menu this year? What’s your favorite recipe?

How to Boil the Perfect Egg

Yield: 12 eggs

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

The secret to a perfectly peelable egg? Start with boiling water!

Ingredients:

1 dozen fresh eggs

Water

Directions:

Bring water to a boil. With a large spoon, slowly and carefully drop the eggs down into the water. Return water to boil.

Boil for 10 minutes exactly.

Immediately pour off the hot water, adding cold water to cover the eggs. Repeat this twice. (Or add ice cubes to really speed up the process.)

The egg will peel perfectly!

15 Responses to “How to Boil the Perfect Egg & Delicious Deviled Egg Recipes”

Darla — April 6, 2012 @ 3:37 am

Happy Easter to you and your family Sandy. What a great roundup of recipes to use when all those colored eggs are found. I have fond memories of Easter egg hunts at our house when the girls were growing up.

Darla

ellen b — April 6, 2012 @ 8:47 am

I knew I could count on you for the perfect boiled egg again this year! Mine are on the counter getting their chill off! A very Blessed Easter to you and yours dear Sandy!!

Aggie — April 6, 2012 @ 8:50 am

Oh my goodness, this post made me so hungry! Thanks for linking to my egg salad!

Happy Easter to you and your family! xo

Tickled Red — April 6, 2012 @ 11:10 am

Heavens, it’s an EGGstravaganza!! :D Love them all.

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — April 6, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

I am so excited to peel the eggs we’re coloring this evening, for deviled eggs and egg salad sandwiches! Wonderful round-up, Sandy – thank you so much for including my Sauteed Mediterranean version. Wishing you a great weekend and a very blessed Easter! xo

Dayle Shockley — April 6, 2012 @ 3:36 pm

Oh my gosh … these all look amazing. Is there nothing you can’t put on an egg? I can’t wait to try some of these.

Kristina — April 6, 2012 @ 7:07 pm

thank you for including me in such a fantastic round up – all of these recipes look great!

I love your tips for the perfect egg – another one I have, for PEELING the easiest? Add some baking soda to the water the eggs are boiled in – makes the shells come of in big easy pieces.

Happy Easter!

Shannon — April 6, 2012 @ 10:21 pm

We make pickled beet eggs at our house on Easter. A tradition I look forward to every year ( :

Richella @ Imparting Grace — April 7, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

I love deviled eggs. I love egg salad. What I do not like is peeling the eggs. So is the secret to let them cool before you peel them? Is the secret to cool them immediately and then cool them a bit more? Is the secret bringing the water to a boil before you put in the eggs? I’ve done this a lot of times and always have a few eggs that mess up–not fun when you’re making deviled eggs!

Have a WONDERFUL Easter!!

Danijela — April 7, 2012 @ 10:43 pm

Hi Sandy,
    great collection of recipes. Eggs with Prosciutto are my top pick, I love it. Thanks for the tips. :) happy Easter.

Kirstin — April 8, 2012 @ 8:46 am

I have been using this method for awhile now…ever since I saw you post it who knows when. I take it a bit further in the cooling process…I had some ice cubes to the pan just to cool them a bit faster. Those recipes look fancy…I think I might like the avocado ones or the bacon topped eggs…not sure about the others…Can’t wait to eat some at my MIL’s house today! Have a great Easter

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — April 9, 2012 @ 6:27 am

On my lands Sandy, your egg line-up look amazing!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — April 9, 2012 @ 6:35 am

I hope y’all had a wonderful Easter, Sandy! We love deviled eggs and egg salad here and I can’t wait to dig into some today with all of those eggs from yesterday! YUM!

Nicole — April 2, 2014 @ 11:12 am

Thanks for including my deviled eggs recipe! :-)

1. Pingback: Mini Blue Cheese Balls and Friday Faves