GardenChat Update and How to Make Kale Chips

Kale Chips

Our garden is bursting with kale, broccoli, and lettuce right now. Raspberries are just coming on, and we’ve already harvest about 4 quarts of strawberries.

kale in garden

I love summertime and the sound of sprinklers going off in the early morning, eating salads daily, and enjoying new crops, which for us would be kale. Years ago we planted kale and my husband was so discouraged because no one ate it. We just didn’t know how to cook with it.

Kale Chips

Times have changed now, our palates are different, and we’re juicing kale, making chips with kale, and eating delicious kale salad.

Kale Chips

By the way, one tip I’ve learned with kale, especially when you have the larger leaves, is that after you wash and chop it up for salad–let’s say a Caesar Salad–you need to massage the leaves with oil first, allowing them to soften, and then add the dressing. Before serving, add the grated Parmesan cheese and croutons, or whatever ingredients you like to add to Caesar. I like to squeeze 1/2 of a fresh lemon over the salad.

Kale Chips

Now I’m hungry :)

I think we’ve made about 12 pans of kale chips, which have turned out fantastic! Who would have thought they’d be so good – both in taste, and good for you!

I tried 2 kinds, but last night was the best. I’ll share the easy recipe with you, and I’d love to hear the combination you use when making kale chips.

It seems everyone is so in to them now. You can crunch them up and put over salads, or eat them as a snack. I’d rather them be crispy than chewy. So mine are crispy, but very flavorful.

Kale Chips

Okay, they aren’t the prettiest. But they are SO tasty!

What’s your favorite flavor of kale chips?

14 Responses to “GardenChat Update and How to Make Kale Chips”

marly — June 4, 2013 @ 7:13 am

I LOVE THIS RECIPE! We have kale growing in our garden as well. I mean, it’s almost a requirement as a vegan to have kale growing somewhere on the premises. ;-) But I love the idea of making kale chips with them. Yum!

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig — June 4, 2013 @ 7:20 am

Your garden is doing beautifully! Love the honey-garlic idea, have to try that combo.

Paula - bell'alimento — June 4, 2013 @ 7:47 am

Love crunchy kale chips!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — June 4, 2013 @ 7:51 am

We have a crazy amount of kale here and our plants tend to grow 2-3 feet high! Kale chips are great, I specially like adding cumin to them!

Heather — June 4, 2013 @ 9:13 am

I’ve found that the uglier the kale chips, the better they taste ;)

nessa — June 4, 2013 @ 3:08 pm

I love kale chips and yours look fabulous!

Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective — June 5, 2013 @ 5:38 am

Love kale chips! Great recipe!

emeline — June 5, 2013 @ 6:11 am

You have a beautifull little (for this moment) garden, great job !

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — June 5, 2013 @ 7:09 am

I’ve wanted to try making these, so thanks for this post. Yum!

Mary — June 5, 2013 @ 8:09 am

Hi Sandy!

These sound delicious. Can you believe, I missed the whole kale chip explosion and just discovered them recently!…but I love how you add some additional flavors. Can’t wait to make these.

Just sent my “baby” off to a rising freshman summer school program at his new high school. Oh my! This former home school mom is going through withdrawals! I drop him off at 7:30 am and don’t pick him up till 4:00 pm – Monday thru Thursday. Quite a change for both of us.

Have a great time at BlogHer Food! So sorry I will miss you when you are in my neck of the woods!!! We have a nice long weekend family fishing trip planned. Should be lots of fun. Taking the dog with us too! :-) Can’t wait to here what you think of Austin and the surrounding Hill Country. I know you’ll love it. :-)

Have a great week.

Much love,
    Mary

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — June 5, 2013 @ 1:33 pm

I love kale chips with crushed red pepper flakes and garlic powder! Good idea with the honey!

Michael — June 9, 2013 @ 7:17 pm

I may need to try this. I do love Kale, but it only works in certain recipes. Nice looking harvest, by the way!

Shaina — June 21, 2013 @ 1:22 pm

We love kale chips. They are the perfect healthy snack, and your gardens look gorgeous!

1. Pingback: Family Hike and Healthy Chicken, Orange and Kale Salad | Reluctant Entertainer