2 Simple Ways to Host a Holiday Gathering

2 Ways to Host a Holiday Gathering

What I love about the holidays is that we don’t always have to have a big party. Small, intimate gatherings are really special, and quite honestly, they can be quite simple!

Recently we hosted 2 kinds of gatherings in our home:

1. Appetizers. You can ask your friends over for a platter of delicious appetizers and serve a variety of wine. And then head out to your favorite restaurant for the main course!

2. Desserts. Make one yummy, festive dessert that feeds 6-8, and you’re golden! Bring your guests back to your house after eating out for the final touch of the evening! Or, invite friends over for a dessert evening, after everyone’s eaten dinner in their own homes.

For the appetizers, I sort of cheated. Have you ever received a gift basket during the holidays and you rip it open, eating only a few of your favorite items, and the others get pushed off to the side? What I’ve recently learned about appetizer baskets is the companies who send them actually go to a lot of work in pairing the foods together. So what I did was take a Harry & David Northwest Gift Basket that I received, and I used all the products in the basket for this delicious assortment of appetizers.

2 Ways to Host a Holiday Gathering

I didn’t even have to think about what to buy – my appetizer party was complete!

Head over to Harry & David’s brand NEW blog to read more about how I made this elegant appetizer platter.

For the dessert party, I went with a creative festive dessert that would serve a lot of guests. I didn’t know exactly which of our friends would be coming back to our house for dessert, so whether 6 came (a nice big piece), or 10 (a sliver is all you need), this dessert was moist and perfect for the holidays.

2 Ways to Host a Holiday Gathering

Head on over to KitchenAid’s NEW BLOG to grab my delicious Pear Cranberry Upside Down Cake recipe, and to read more inspiration on hosting a dessert party!

Keeping things simple during the holidays can be a gift in itself. One I’m always ready to receive.

What is your favorite way to entertain during the holidays?

12 Responses to “2 Simple Ways to Host a Holiday Gathering”

Carmen — December 5, 2013 @ 3:16 am

Hi Sandy!

The link to your Pear Cranberry Upside Down cake links directly to the KitchenAid Home Page, and the recipe didn’t turn up in a search — would you mind posting the direct link to the cake recipe?

Thank you! The cake looks absolutely delish – can’t wait to try it!

• Sandy Coughlin replied: — December 5th, 2013 @ 10:19 am

Carmen, come back at 1 pm PT today for the recipe. Sorry for the delay – the recipe will be posted on KA blog at that time! :)

• Sandy Coughlin replied: — December 5th, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

Carmen – the recipe is UP! :)

• Carmen replied: — December 5th, 2013 @ 11:24 pm

Thank you! :)

Jaan L — December 5, 2013 @ 8:31 am

Hi, I’m new to your blog, in fact you were recommended by the Recipe Girl. And from what I have seen so far, I really need your help…Thanks

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — December 5, 2013 @ 8:49 am

Great simple tips, as always, Sandy! I was just thinking this morning of a couple smaller groups of people that we haven’t seen in awhile…trying to think about how to make something happen during the holidays. Perfect timing with this post!

Shannon — December 5, 2013 @ 10:29 am

We’ll be hosting a graduation open house this month (yay!) and appetizers and/or desserts will be perfect! Great, simple ideas–thanks.

claire — December 5, 2013 @ 1:59 pm

Thanks for this post, especially pointing out that Harry & David create their baskets with the idea of paring the foods in the basket. I often send their baskets as gifts, but now I want to purchase one for myself to create an appetizer get-together for a few of my friends. I also would like to try that scrumptious cake! Merry Christmas.

Carmen — December 5, 2013 @ 11:23 pm

Thank you! :)

1. Pingback: Entertaining Groove and Cheesy Pumpkin Farro with Marcona Almonds | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

2. Pingback: Entertaining Groove and Cheesy Pumpkin Farro with Marcona Almonds | Lifestyle Coaching

3. Pingback: Keeping the joy in entertaining | The Art of Simple