Summertime Hospitality with Broccoli Salad Recipe
Enjoy a spin on Summertime Hospitality with Broccoli Salad Recipe, made with baby shrimp and crisp bacon, the ultimate picnic or potluck salad!
We love bringing our guests on a mini garden tour when they come for dinner. This year we planted lots of broccoli rabe, which is our favorite! Like a baby, we cannot wait for it to grow and be ready for eating!
Because of our love for broccoli, we took a classic broccoli salad recipe and added a spin of bacon and shrimp, to create a Broccoli Salad Recipe.
Broccoli Salad Recipe
A good bacon broccoli salad is one of those things that, is rarely on a restaurant menu. I’d probably order it if it were, I love it that much. There’s something about the crunchy broccoli, sweet sauce, and the bright taste of herbs and crunchy seeds and bacon that makes it one of my favorite flavor combinations. Add in the fresh baby shrimp – oh, boy! I’ve posted my go-to version, an “old is new again” recipe (link here) that my mom used to make, but it was starting to feel a bit, well, let’s say boring.
I decided to give it a little summertime makeover, keeping the usual ingredients, but also adding a bite of basil.
The best thing about this summer salad is watching the facial expressions as our guests take their first bite. And then, when they go back for seconds!
Usually there are no leftovers. Which is always a good sign that the cooking was splendid, right?
What’s your “spin” on the traditional summertime broccoli salad?
Broccoli Salad Recipe
Delicious with wild coldwater baby shrimp!
- 2 heads fresh broccoli, cut into small bite size pieces (about 5-6 cups)
- 8 ounces bacon
- 8 ounces baby shrimp, rinsed and drained well
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. basil, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and cook over medium heat just until crisp; drain on paper towelsIn a medium bowl, combine the broccoli pieces, chopped onion, raisins, and cheese. Gently toss together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar and mayonnaise. Pour over broccoli mixture; salt and pepper to taste. Toss together until well mixed. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Add the bacon, shrimp, seeds, and chopped basil to the chilled broccoli mixture. Gently toss; serve.
I’m over at Art of Simple blog today talking about summertime overnight guests … would love to see you over there.