Bush’s Black Bean Mexican Pizza
This Black Bean Mexican Pizza is excellent for Game Day, lunches, easy dinner, or after-school snacks!
Thanks to our family all being together on our high school daughter’s first day of back-to-school (earlier this week), and the good people at Bush’s Beans who sponsored this post today, we really do create lasting memories with food when it’s dinner time in our home. Not knowing what I was going to make for dinner that night, I pulled out a can of Bush’s Black beans from the pantry, a staple I never run out of in my kitchen. I know that I can make a delicious and substantial meal for my family with a can of beans!
As weary bodies come through the door from soccer practice, our family gathers on our back patio for a delicious Mexican Black Bean Pizza with a side of salad, with Paul Desmond playing in the background (our kids grew up with his jazz). We talk about our day, and dusk begins to fall, and then we carry our plates back inside and I look for a volunteer to do the dishes. The boys are heading back to school very soon as well, so the show of hands will be very few before we know it.
We love Mexican food for dinner. There are so many ways to make a taco, tostado, enchilada, or even a taco salad. But this time I made mini pizzas, inspired by Bush’s Beans recipe page here, and here, and our family was crazy about them!
It’s corn tortillas fried this way, and then instead of topping with refried beans, like so many people do, I just took a can of Bush’s Black Beans and mashed them with a fork. Doing this created a much easier foundation on which to layer the meat and the cheese before baking. (Unmashed, those little black beans can get pretty squirrelly and not stay in place like they should.)
Into the oven they went.
Mexican Pizzas are delicious corn tortillas topped with beans, beef and all the delicious taco toppings you can imagine!
Here’s the beauty of this dish: You can cut them into wedges and serve as an appetizer. Or leave them whole and served as a main dish.
What’s your go-to bean that you use the most for late summer meals?
Bush's Black Bean Mexican Pizza Recipe
- 1 (16 ounce) can Bush’s black beans
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 tablespoons sour cream
- 2-4 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, sliced or diced
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced
- fresh cilantro
- Drain the black beans and pour into a large bowl. Mash with a fork.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground turkey. Stir in the seasoning packet and 1 Tbsp. water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place a small amount of vegetable oil in a large skillet. Let the oil heat, then place one corn tortilla in the skillet. After 15 seconds, flip the tortilla over and let it fry another 15 seconds.
- Repeat this process with the remaining tortillas, letting them drain on paper towels once they have been heated. When the tortillas have drained, arrange them on a cookie sheet.
- Spread a thin layer of beans on the tortillas, followed by a layer of ground turkey, and cheese.
- Bake the tortillas in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Slice the tortillas into wedges and arrange them on plates or a serving platter, or serve them whole, and garnish them with the sour cream, tomatoes, green onions, avocado, and olives.
Adapted from Bush’s Beans Recipe page, original recipe.All images and text ©
This post is sponsored by Bush’s Beans; but as always, all opinions are my own.