Holiday Hot Buttered Rum Drink (Video)
This most may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A classic holiday Hot Buttered Rum drink that’s been around a long time; meant to be sipped by a fire or in a cozy setting. Make ahead for holiday gifts!
Holiday entertaining is enjoyable, but also a lot of work. There’s a lot a planning to be done—which is why I make a list, check it twice, and cross off what I accomplish. :)
Holiday Hot Buttered Rum Drink
I love to have a hot drink option ready for company, so I’m sharing with you today my Hot Buttered Rum recipe, easy for gift giving, too. You may have also tried my classic Hot Russian Tea Mix Recipe, too!
Inviting, planning the menu, prepping, and cooking … it does take time and enery! This time of year I love to prepare a warm and welcoming home that is relaxing to our guests, with a jovial spirit that helps spread holiday cheer.
Whether a big or small party, or even drop-in guests, I like to be prepared.
Healthy & Hot Cozy Drinks
- Caramel Apple Hot Toddy Cocktail
- Warm Spiced Coconut-Almond Milk
- Hot Lemon Water
- Ginger Tea
- Apple Cider With Cinnamon
- Hot Russian Tea
- Hot Vanilla Chai Tea
Get the house ready!
Here are a couple of tips for getting the house ready!
Entryway: Be sure to put away clutter and shoes, have a clean mat inside for wiping feet, and let guests know right away if your house has a “no-shoes” rule. Be prepared to take guests’ coats, and let them know if they’ll be in the hall closet, bedroom, or on a coat rack. Possibly light a candle – a yummy holiday scent.
Bathroom: Have a clean guest bathroom. Make sure it has clean hand towels, extra toilet paper, empty wastebasket and a lit candle. Make it extra special, with a fresh flower and a couple of “food for thought” or inspiring books nearby.
Music: Holiday music just sets the mood for any company coming to your home.
Munchies & Drinks: Setting out bowls of nuts or a Simple Holiday Cheese Board, with a signature drink!
A hot buttered rum is an excellent way to welcome guests when they first arrive.
How to make Hot Buttered Rum
Now for the yummy Hot Buttered Rum recipe.
- Whip up the ingredients (butter, sugar and warming spices, such as cinnamon, cardamom and clove) using a stand mixer.
- Jar the mixture and give as gifts, or serve it when drop-in guests come to your home.
- Add a dollop to a mug filled with hot water and rum, and stir.
It’s the hot rum, of course, that makes your body nice and warm, but it’s also the spices that add a special warmth, too.
Make Hot Buttered Rum for Holiday gifts
Perfect for holiday gifts, here’s what you do:
- Pack into small glass jars.
- Label and store in the refrigerator.
- Give as a gift with a bottle of dark rum!
Keep hot buttered rum on hand for guests
How to whip up a hot drink:
- Dollop about 2 tablespoons into a small mug.
- Pour in 2 ounces of rum, top with boiling water, stir, and enjoy!
Freeze for later
Roll the batter into small logs on wax paper, seal by twisting the ends, and place in plastic wrap; freeze. Remove from the freezer and slice into small pieces, and place in a mug with boiling water.
Hot Buttered Rum Drink
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- Dark rum
- In a stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, spices, and salt.
- Pack into small glass jars and store in the refrigerator.
- Place about 2 Tablespoons in each small mug. Pour 2 ounces of rum into the mug with boiling water.
- Stir and serve!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.