Herb Trough Garden: Easy & Accessible!

I realized as I went out to my herb trough to get fresh basil for my Strawberry Bruschetta that I never shared my Mother’s Day gift that I received this year. When my family asked me what I wanted, along with love, hugs, breakfast, lunch, dinner, foot rubs, chores done, peace and quiet (I don’t ask for much, do I?) I asked for a trough garden to plant my herbs in. So we went to the local Grange and purchased a brand new animal water trough.

In fact, they were all sold out of the size that we wanted, so we had to remove the baby chicks from the one we bought. We brought it home and found the perfect location (right off of our back patio).

We love to recycle and use what we have, so we took the kids’ old trampoline and stuffed it down to the bottom.

Filled the top with enriched soil.

Planted our favorite herbs.

My gift for today is having fresh garden herbs right outside our back kitchen door.

What a perfect idea for anyone, really, if you live in the city or in the country, to have herbs easily accessible.

Right now as our tomatoes are coming on, and the basil is so plentiful, I’m starting to crave Insalata Caprese Salad, (Mozzarella, Tomato & Fresh Basil).

If you grow herbs, would you share the way that you grow them?

Nesting Place is announcing the FIRST 5 winners of my new book, The Reluctant Entertainer, today! Check out Nester’s site to see who won!?

This post is linked to Kimba’s Outdoor DIY Day!

28 Responses to “Herb Trough Garden: Easy & Accessible!”

Jennifer — July 19, 2010 @ 6:25 am

What a great idea! All of our herbs are scattered in raised beds and pots right now. Before winter sets in I hope to organize the perennial herbs for easier access next year.

Have a great Monday!

Christy — July 19, 2010 @ 6:28 am

Great idea Sandy!!!

Shelle — July 19, 2010 @ 6:32 am

I had my herbs growing in a planter box but had to separate them because they got so big! I transplanted them into terra-cotta pots with herb labels that I modpodged onto the pots. I love my herbs!!!
    I love your idea!

Kim... and Her Coffee — July 19, 2010 @ 7:16 am

This is a great idea! I planted my herbs in small pots this year…. Next year, I plan to use something bigger ~~~ like a trough! :)

Deborah — July 19, 2010 @ 7:45 am

I have them in small pots this year in out window sill. I am hoping to move them outside next year. My daughter (4yr old) helped me plant them from seeds so we kept them where she could see them everyday!

Kirstin — July 19, 2010 @ 7:51 am

Mine are growing in a 1/2 wine barrel that used to belong to my hubby’s grandfather. I had found it in an old shed on their families property and my FIL cut it in half. 1/2 for me, 1/2 for my MIL. It still smelled like hard apple cider. This is the second year I’ve planted herbs in it.

Donnetta — July 19, 2010 @ 8:17 am

Oh my goodness! What a GREAT idea. We have an old trough out on our property. I’ve never thought of doing much with it.

I think I will be taking a little walk to see if it is salvageable. If so, I do believe it just very well may be finding itself a new home. :-)

Gina — July 19, 2010 @ 8:22 am

What a great idea! Our herbs are along the back fence of the garden-way across the yard but I kind of like the quiet walk that comes with getting herbs right before dinner. It forces me to slow down a bit and think about all the beauty and goodness around me. But I like your idea for strawberries or something closer to our house where the dirt is lousy.

Sistergirl — July 19, 2010 @ 8:38 am

Great Idea! I plant my herbs in a raise box too but I think the tin is pretty. Enjoy your harvest.

Brenda @ afarmgirlsdabbles — July 19, 2010 @ 9:01 am

Love the trough! It reminds me of growing up on the farm. I, too, have an herb garden conveniently placed outside my back door, and use it almost every day during the warm months. It’s so much fun!

If you want to check out mine, please see: http://www.afarmgirlsdabbles.com/2010/06/07/my-kitchen-garden/

Kirstin — July 19, 2010 @ 12:51 pm

Sandy I was just thinking how fun it would be to have several of these troughs lining my porch with a variety of flowers and even vegetables in them.

Crystal — July 19, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

I love this idea! My herbs are all over the place. Some of them are in a big pot with my cherry tomatoes. Others are in their own terra cotta pots. The rest have their own tiny raised bed. I really enjoy having them nearby, but I need to actually learn to use them more.

Bethany — July 19, 2010 @ 4:24 pm

I love this! And I love herbs! Our basil is doing great and we made caprese twice this weekend with heirloom tomatoes from the farmers market! Love it all! Now we just need to find that perfect home to plant a big garden like yours!

Tania — July 19, 2010 @ 5:25 pm

I love this idea! I grow my herbs in a small rectangular space in my backyard (which is kind of a pain to get to from my kitchen). Having them close by means easy watering and harvesting! I am going to copy you.

Jackie — July 19, 2010 @ 7:55 pm

Great idea, I may be trying this one. I saw a large round one made into a fountain near an outside patio and it was great! Thanks for sharing. Jackie

Debbie — July 19, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

What a great idea! I love to use fresh herbs and they’re so expensive to buy in the grocery store. I use a few for a recipe and then end up throwing out the rest. Love your herb garden.

Happier Than A Pig in Mud — July 20, 2010 @ 2:50 am

I plant basil, parlsey and chives right in the garden, but I love your idea! It looks really cute!

citymouse — July 20, 2010 @ 3:19 am

I love this idea… it’s like a movable raised bed. I also think the trough is pretty snazzy and would have never thought of using one on my won. I definitely see this in my yard next year.

Kim — July 20, 2010 @ 5:19 am

I’m going to be making (and freezing) pesto this fall, with the basil that we have planted! Love your idea for the container!

By the way, blogged today – mentioned your book with the canned apple pie filling!

Stephanie Suesan Smith — July 26, 2010 @ 6:30 pm

I love this idea. I have an old bathtub down by the barn that may see new life as an herb garden. What a good idea.

Brenda@Coffeeteabooksandme — May 20, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

That’s a wonderful idea! I have one bed in my raised bed garden for perennial herbs (although our winter was so harsh in the Midwest this year that a couple of them died!). I love the way it is all nice and green and lush right now, even though the rest of the garden beds were just planted.

I plant both regular basil and globe basil in the beds where I plant tomatoes that year.

I wanted to plant lemon balm this year but could not in my herb bed since it already has apple mint in half of it (I just pull up the roots from the mint when they grow to far into the other herbs space). Once I found out lemon balm is a mint, I knew it couldn’t be planted with another one (how did I miss that before I had to pull out my plant last year?). Anyway, I planted the new lemon balm next to the house, right in the area where the water hose spout is located… so far it works great.

Elen — May 20, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

That is a totally brilliant idea. I wonder where I can get one here. We don’t have a Grange. I’ll have to Google. I usually container garden my herbs, except for the chives, sage and thymes are all in the ground. But I was just talking to Mr. G honey about some raised beds off the kitchen, but this would be grand. Very clever. Thank you for sharing!

patti g — July 27, 2011 @ 6:19 am

Thank you for sharing that idea! I love to cook with fresh herbs as well as
    feel so blessed to just “look” at their lovliness while growing. You are
    the best!

Alison Ward — September 7, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

Hi – can you please tell me where you got the trough from? That’s the perfect thing that I’m looking for.

1. Pingback: Mary, Mary: How does your Garden Grow? — Reluctant Entertainer

2. Pingback: Roasting Sweet Corn: Lime+Chili Powder+Salt — Reluctant Entertainer

3. Pingback: How to Roast and Garnish a Turkey | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

4. Pingback: Storing and Preserving Fresh Herbs | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening